Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Mysterious Island Diorama

Go down 
+2
Wilorvise
LeeAnn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CWGross

Country/State : Canada

My Mysterious Island Diorama Empty
PostSubject: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 am

Hi all!

I've been silent for a bit, but will have a bunch of stuff to post... I'm waiting for a mastodon model from Shapeways, and I started a collection of figures to do with the Late Cretaceous rock formations of Alberta. Right now though, I thought I would show off my first attempt at a fishbowl diorama. Since I'm a huge fan of Jules Verne, I thought I would do a diorama based roughly on The Mysterious Island... The movie version, that is, with a giant crab!

I picked up all the materials at Michael's, including moss, sand, decorative stones, the fishbowl, the Safari Sally Lightfoot Crab and Tree Fern, and figures from Safari's Union Army Toob. The only touch-up work I had to do was on the Union Army figures (which were pretty poorly done). We already had the shells.

The main trial-and-error challenge was how to work with sand. I eventually figured out something that came close to working, but I wouldn't hold much faith in this diorama to survive any big moves or jostles.

Anyways, photos...    

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Let's get rolling!

Painting figures, and permeating the sand with watered down white glue in a spray bottle.

Finishing touches and waiting for the glue to dry (or sink into the sand, leaving the figures semi-attached).

Finished product, in its position as a centrepiece on our table.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 am

Nice work!

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 5:14 am

*clap*

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 am

Applause Applause Applause I love it!

At firts I thought Shocked Laughing cheers , then "What big seashells! I would choose really small ones to show the size of the giant crab" but now I think "Except providential marines, what a giant crab eats? Giant brachipods, eureka cheers "
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:43 am

This is fun cheers

Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Cool Very Happy

CWGross

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:54 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Applause Applause Applause  I love it!

At firts I thought Shocked  Laughing  cheers , then "What big seashells! I would choose really small ones to show the size of the giant crab" but now I think "Except providential marines, what a giant crab eats? Giant brachipods, eureka cheers "

In The Mysterious Island, the first giant creatures the castaways find are giant oysters. I figured I'd throw some shells in there as a reference :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 am

Thank you Very Happy  I read it but it was.. In the last century Laughing
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 6:18 am

The giant animals aren't even in the novel! That was just an invention for the 1961 film Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 7:26 am

scratch  I made a mix with "Voyage au centre de la terre" then drunken  Too old macaque Laughing

I even think I never saw this movie, only the series in the 70's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Mysterious Island Diorama   My Mysterious Island Diorama Empty

Back to top Go down

My Mysterious Island Diorama
Page 1 of 1