Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!

Go down 
+3
LeeAnn
DaveScriv
CilleDK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CilleDK

CilleDK

Country/State : Denmark

I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! Empty
PostSubject: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:48 am

HI. :)

I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures, because I don't like the new look and form of the models. I sad because i have been collecting for 3 years now. But I guess all good things come to an end. :)

I haven't stopped collecting definitly though. I started collection Breyer horses, the traditionals and I concidering CollectA animals, but I haven't decided yet.

I still have my schleich animals, but I have but some of the ordinaries for sale, only kept the ones that are special model or i really like.

Exsample my orangtutang female who i got from a member in here, she will always stay. :)

I'm hoping to return to the forum some more and see more of CollectA and Breyers

Hope your all well and enjoying the spring!
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm inclined to think, "Once a collector, always a collector", although not necessarily collecting the same things throughout a lifetime.

There are also lots of collectors (all sorts, not just items relating to this forum) who stop collecting current stuff, and instead concentrate on completing older ranges. This is perhaps seen in its most extreme form in the world of (postage) stamp collecting, in which hardly anyone collects new issues nowadays, but there is still a huge collecting community trying to fill those gaps in older issues, often restricting their collections to the colonial era, ending when various countries became independent in the 1950s/'60s, or in the case of European monarchies, ending whenever a king/queen died in the same era.

To give an example of another field of collecting in which this back dating happens, consider the example of a collector/dealer I know who collects dolls houses & contents (unusual in that he's a man) who once collected relatively recent items, but over the years has sold off those, and now only collects pre 1914 dolls house stuff.
Back to top Go down
CilleDK

CilleDK

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Your right, Dave. I think I'll always be collecting :-)

Maybe someday I'll start going back on some items, and complete them.

But for now it is Breyer horses :-)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 1:01 pm

CilleDK wrote:

Exsample my orangtutang female who i got from a member in here, she will always stay. :)

cheers cheers cheers I'm glad she has a special place in your collection Very Happy

In fact, I've mostly stopped buying Schleich myself, and spend my money on Breyers, Stones, CollectAs, Mojos, and ARs. I might buy at most 4 a year. I'm also selling many of my Schleich but still there are many many more that are remaining in my collection. There's nothing wrong with moving on in your collecting life to pursue something else.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 2:47 pm

It is not easy to afford complete lines of a certain brand or to like them all. Schleich horsesare more than 200 and all years there are a lot of new horses. Then, we like some figures from other brands and it turns almost impossible to get all.
I have myself redesigned my collecting tastes during these years but rarely wanted to complete certain lines, I enjoy to get what I like. A collection doesn't need necessarily to be complete to be a collection.
Dave is right, there is a tendency to gain with time, an interest for vintage and rare collectibles as long as we have more experience and knowledge about what we collect. It is valide to almost all kinds of collections.

CilleDK

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 9:11 pm

LeAnn I'm so happy with her, she's so special and I like that she has traveled so far cheers cheers sunny

Roger, true, maybe I'll also redefine my taste of collecting some time, or as now change brands :-)
Back to top Go down
Night Elf

Night Elf

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 9:18 pm

I think it is normal to have different collecting tastes over the years. I was a Breyer collector for many years, then started collecting many Peter Stone horses and fewer Breyers. Now I don't collect Peter Stone horses at all, collect a few Breyers (mostly Stablemates) and have started collecting animal figurines. I expect my preferences will continue to change over the years.  Shocked

I think as long as you are happy with what you collect, then that's all that really matters. Very Happy

DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Night Elf wrote:

I think as long as you are happy with what you collect, then that's all that really matters. Very Happy

Yep, the limits should be:
1) Not spending so much it is affecting your general finances.
2) Not collecting so much (especially big items) that you become a possible candidate for one of those TV reality shows about compulsive hoarders.

To repeat, "the limits should be" these.

I don't necessarily obey my own rules. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptySun May 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I know what you mean, I'm struggling to afford these figures myself, but its just the price that bothers me. I'm still happy with the paintwork and quality of these charming figures Smile Its just the price that's too much Sad
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptyTue May 05, 2015 7:10 am

I completely understand your direction Very Happy

A collectors life can change. Mine does too. Started with Schleich horses, then spread to CollectA, Möjo and Papo. Then Breyer Stablemates, Classics - and then Traditional Breyers and Peter Stones.

I've sold a large part of my Schleich scale models, but also sold several traditional Breyers. I need to clean up the collection every now and then - to avoid the models to become emotionally worthless to me... For some reason, the more I just 'collect' the more careless I feel for the models, so if I do not start to love a model and and only end up liking the model I sell it. (Lil' Ricky was one of those for example).

Ponies and Paint

Ponies and Paint

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 11:33 pm

I too have stopped collecting Schleich after I found Collecta. I still have several retired Schleich horses, but all of my recent purchases have been Collecta, and I am so much happier with those than with the newer Schleich models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!   I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures! Empty

Back to top Go down

I have stopped my collection of Schleich figures!
Page 1 of 1