Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) Empty
PostSubject: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 pm

This year Papo made a sea lion for their "Marine Life" series.
But unfortunately the official picture in the catalogue and net-shops is not very flattering for the poor beast  Rolling Eyes

So I am very happy to show you a small walkaround of this model, which is both elegant and interesting Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It must be either a female or a very young male. The adult males have a much thicker neck.

Isn't that face adoreable ? Very Happy

Could it be an Australian female sea lion ? They are grey and have the light underside, reaching up around the eyes.
Or perhaps she is not meant to be a special species ?

Australian and New Zealand sea lion females also have a somewhat thisk neck ....

Compared to Safari and Schleich sea lions :

Actually it is a bit strange that in the "big brands" it is only Bullyland that has made a male, - after all it is their "mane" that has given them the name "lion" Wink

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Congratulations Susanne:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Congrats, Susanne!
She is very cute cheers And this adorable smile Very Happy
But there is something strange in her; maybe her joints are too visible, maybe she has not enough details for my taste. Your picture of her face remind me Lineol scratch
But despite it she is nice Very Happy
Thank you for a walkaround!

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Based in catalogue pictures, my interest about this figure was almost absent. Your pictures show that it is more interesting actually.
Papo is often very generic when regarding to species. Sea lions turned popular in this toy hobby a long time ago because of circuses. Everybody rmemeber their performances with balls, etc. Curiously, sea lions were and are still known as seals although they're not true seals. It is all related with their clown performances because they were often presented like that.
Some vintage brands made sea lions and also called them seals.
The species used in circuses was often the California sea lion and I believe the most part were females. They are not territorial, much smaller and more numerous. :)
Female California sea lions are lighter than males, maneless and much smaller and they dominate the toy hobby what explains why most toys featuring this species are maneless.
Though, I agree that the color may fit better other species once California sea lion females are uniformly colored. Ear pinae seem to large for Australian or New Zealand sea lions. I believe it is just a California sea lion with a less boring painting. Wink Thanks for great wal around! Very Happy

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 8:09 am

It is always a pleasure to watch your walkarounds Susanne :)
The model look`s nice, different from the other brands, but also fits nice together with them :)
And it is also made in Portugal cheers

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 am

costicuba wrote:
The model look`s nice, different from the other brands, but also fits nice together with them :)

Laughing This time I noticed although my long comment contributed to my omission. Wink

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 am

Roger wrote:
costicuba wrote:

Laughing This time I noticed although my long comment contributed to my omission.  Wink

Laughing lol! cheers

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 am

So now we know the species : A Portuguese sea lion cheers bounce cheers

costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 12:00 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

Hahahah Yeahhh cheers lol!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 7:34 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

lol! flower

PostSubject: Re: New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)   New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-) Empty

Back to top Go down

New from Papo 2015 : a sea lion :-)
Page 1 of 1