Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Diprotodon Project

Go down 
+24
Tupolew Tu-154
lucky luke
Tarunyada
Roger
Kikimalou
pm64
donny ong
landrover
zirkoon
postsaurischian
widukind
Southlands Replicas
pipsxlch
Turacin
bjarki12
pokeyanyway
JamesPanda
Saarlooswolfhound
costicuba
sbell
Ana
SUSANNE
Florian
barracudacat
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyMon May 29, 2017 8:04 am

Fascinating! It looks very promising already and I love the walking pose!! Great! And how wonderful will be to see it next to the Thylacoleo in the same scale! drunken

I suppose many things we will never know about this animal, probably also the exact way they moved is among those details. But on the drawing of the skeleton above, one thing is slightly bothering me in the movement, it suggests as the animal landed with their front part of paw first (like, on the "fingers"?). For me, it doesn't look exactly convincing, I don't know? I imagine these animals probably walked a bit more in a way the bears do. Bears usually place the heels/back part of the paw on the ground first. It's just a thought, and it may be irrelevant to the sculpture but I'm just wondering Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyMon May 29, 2017 8:39 am

Anna wrote:
But on the drawing of the skeleton above, one thing is slightly bothering me in the movement, it suggests as the animal landed with their front part of paw first (like, on the "fingers"?). For me, it doesn't look exactly convincing, I don't know? I imagine these animals probably walked a bit more in a way the bears do.

Please don't worry! It is just a poor quality photo and the perspective doesn't show how the paw actually looks - in fact I have drawn a lot of inspiration from the movement and anatomy of bears. I've attached a pic which shows how the front paw really looks from the correct angle - you will see more as further photos emerge and I'm quite sure you will be satisfied with the way the movement has been expressed Smile

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Walkin10

PS The photos that have been shown so far are already more than 6 weeks old and the pose is much too late to change!

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyMon May 29, 2017 9:21 am

Southlands Replicas wrote:
Anna wrote:
But on the drawing of the skeleton above, one thing is slightly bothering me in the movement, it suggests as the animal landed with their front part of paw first (like, on the "fingers"?). For me, it doesn't look exactly convincing, I don't know? I imagine these animals probably walked a bit more in a way the bears do.

Please don't worry! It is just a poor quality photo and the perspective doesn't show how the paw actually looks - in fact I have drawn a lot of inspiration from the movement and anatomy of bears. I've attached a pic which shows how the front paw really looks from the correct angle - you will see more as further photos emerge and I'm quite sure you will be satisfied with the way the movement has been expressed Smile

PS The photos that have been shown so far are already more than 6 weeks old and the pose is much too late to change!

Great to hear about that! I'm sure it's going to be a great sculpture. My comment was more about the drawing you've shown as one of the references, but it seems the sculpture shows a bit different phase of the movement, and I like it much more Smile Can't wait to see more photos! bounce

I was talking about that drawing of the skeleton, visible on this photo:
Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot10

Back to top Go down
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 12:06 am

Anna wrote:
My comment was more about the drawing you've shown as one of the references,
Now I see what you mean - it does seem rather odd doesn't it?!  scratch

Stage 13 - Modelling the feet and claws. I found some perfect images of the diprotodon foot structure. This then gave me the perfect foot shape and claw position. Claws are always really hard to sculpt as they are so tiny so I'm using the wire ends (sharpened with a file) to act as the claws. They will protrude from the sculpted feet and I won't have to worry about them breaking.

It's the first time I've tried this method so I took a long time to try and get it as right as possible! I think just this part took a whole weekend Rolling Eyes

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot21

Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Stage 14 - Lower limb bones, spine, scapula and rib cage added. Head now posed. I've opened up the mouth slightly.

Roger - now you can see the full pose Smile

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot22

donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 1:46 am

Whoa! Amazing!

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 7:29 am

This is already a sculpture Shocked

When you make a catalogue, it could perhaps be an idea to show some of these photos to illustrate the birth of one of the SR models Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

Pose is really looking great! cheers bounce bounce

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 12:19 pm

I love to see this! Amazing, just wow! bounce  cheers

Back to top Go down
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2017 11:32 pm

Thankyou Donny, Suzanne, Roger and Anna cheers

Stage 15 - .. and the skull. No-one really knows exactly what a Diprotodon looked like and there are many, many artisitic interpretations. Some have a large wombat type nose, others are drawn with a short tapir-like trunk. At this stage I still didn't know how my diprotodon will appear so I decided to model the skull as perfectly as I could (based off drawings & photographs of actual skulls) and then build the face up in a similar way to forensic facial reconstructions. The plan is to allow the clay to form around the shape of the skull and see where it leads. I took particular care to form the teeth. As the model is posing with an open mouth these details are going to be exposed & it's very helpful to have them pre-baked when I'm working on the rest of the face.

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot27

Here she is, skeleton complete. You may also notice that the skull is a slightly different shape to the one shown in the original drawing. This is because I chose to model the shape off the 'Bacchus Marsh' Diprotodon. The reason is that my model is a female and the original sketch to me appears more masculine, while the Bacchus Marsh skull is a bit more refined and 'feminine' looking.

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot25

Another angle. You can see the different shades of clay .. the darker areas were the first sections moulded and have therefore been baked in the oven more often.

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot26

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2017 5:39 am

I haven't been able to comment yet but I've enjoyed this thread immensely! Its great to finally see the skeleton on top of the armature, do you add muscles too? Or straight to the outer composition of it with the detailing etc.? I love your company's choice of species so far and I hope it continues, and thank you again for this in depth look at how the models become reality!

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Its great to finally see the skeleton on top of the armature, do you add muscles too? Or straight to the outer composition of it with the detailing etc.?
Welcome here!! and thankyou for your kind comments. I think this next post will answer your question Very Happy

Stage 16 - Now for the muscle layers! I've used the skeleton to give me accurate insertion points and, as mentioned earlier on, relied quiet heavily on references to the muscle structure of large bears. Bears have a similar body mass and walking pattern (turned in feet) so it seems a reasonable approach. This is the only photo I have of this stage, until the muscles are finished ... I wish I had taken more!

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot28

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 6:26 pm

I like your approach to bears once it is a plantigrade creature. I haven't understood yet why so many authors use rhinos as reference, often just based on size.
Interesting that I can't find any reference to these mammals as being insectivores. Probably it is obvious that they were just herbivorous creatures but I find it curious that they have long claws, an almost ant eating like snouth structure and they even tell that they had long tongues, not as a pangolin but as a giraffe what is quite remarkable. I don't know if My Schleich sloth bear are trying to convince me that diprotodons may have included insects in their diet. Laughing Suddenly, seeing one of these beasts digging up a termites nest, makes some sense, even the reversed pouch... scratch Well, as a herbivorous creature with a bear like motion, I hope you don't use a giant panda as reference for coloring it. Laughing

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 am

Now the muscle layer is complete ..

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot31

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot33

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot32

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot34

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot29

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot30

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot35

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am

This is amazing, - and very interesting to see how the muscles are placed !!! Shocked
Are you a vetenarian or such ? Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Very cool to see how the model is shaped by anatomy layers, and how much effort you put into making a figure great.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Amazing! Great work Very Happy bounce

Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 am

I can't wait! bounce

Back to top Go down
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Suzanne wrote:
Are you a vetenarian or such?
Laughing

Stage 18 - First glimpse of how our girl will look. I've basically just pressed the clay around the shape of the skull and already she seems to have a personality. The nose ended up being less challenging than I thought it would - I referenced other large marsupials of course and it just seemed to form like this. No-one will ever know exactly but I feel this is a natural fit. The idea of a tapir-like trunk just didn't seem right when working it over. I'm interested to know what others think on the topic?

Still a lot of refining to do.

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot36

landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 am

Anatomy and perfection in this model.

Continue to show us this work.

big congratulations. Applause Applause

JamesPanda

JamesPanda

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 6:41 am

Almost there , bravo !! An educational journey as well as a peek into the hard work of a genius , loving every phase Jason.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 am

JamesPanda wrote:
Almost there , bravo !! An educational journey as well as a peek into the hard work of a genius , loving every phase Jason.

Just my thoughts !!!! cheers

She looks wonderful ! I love it that she is completely herself, and not a giant-something Laughing

Thankyou very much for this wonderful topic, Jason flower Applause

zirkoon

zirkoon

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Absolutely wonderfull. Great photos. I'ma fan Applause
Back to top Go down
Southlands Replicas

Southlands Replicas

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks so much Fernando, James, Susanne and Zirkoon cheers cheers

Stage 19 - now with detail added. The advantage of preparing the skull in advance can now be seen with the dentition showing through and allowing me to work on other areas without fear of damaging the inside of the mouth. Ruffles around the neck also added. Normally I leave the head detail until last but this time I'll be finishing the head and baking it before working on the body.

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot37

Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Diprot38

pokeyanyway

pokeyanyway

Country/State : Kentucky, United States

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 1:35 am

I know that it's probably not possible, but it would be great if you could do this for all of your figures. I knew a decent amount of work went into making figures but seeing it done piece by piece and literally muscle by muscle is really cool. I check almost every day to see what has been done.

I haven't been able to buy any of the figures yet, but I most definitely will. I hope you and your company do very well and stay around for a long time.

Quetzalcoatlus - 14506
Saltasaurus
Swiss Cow & Calf
Toco Toucan
And the rest are here: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t11349-pokeyanyway-s-search-list
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diprotodon Project   Diprotodon Project - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diprotodon Project
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next