Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions

Go down 
+2
Kikimalou
widukind
6 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 pm

This week i was willing to trade one of my both dall´s porpoises. So i search for both and i saw that they had different colours. I look in my book and...., good for a specie collector, both colour variations are subspecies. They represented the dalli-type and the truei-type.
My new green dove represented the female version.
And the new snake i dont know.

You have other examples?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Very Interesting, I never noticed these variations. Thank you Andreas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Variations are VERY common with Kaiyodo, and almost every set has at least one example! Sometimes it is done to highlight color variations, sometimes it's for different species, sometimes for different genders.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Variations are VERY common with Kaiyodo, and almost every set has at least one example! Sometimes it is done to highlight color variations, sometimes it's for different species, sometimes for different genders.

Of course Kaiyodo made a lot of official variations, I don't speak about those, I only mean who noticed the porpoises and doves variations. It means there are probably far more "less official" variations that I thought.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 pm

My figures are from a serie called B-Pal special collection

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Keeping in mind I only have arthropods, here are some. These are from Bug of the Day, some images have non-Kaiyodo figures (in which case I will indicate which are Kaiyodo).

1. Triarthrus trilobite. Original and a re-release:

2. Psychopyge trilobites. Two color variants (2 and 3 in this image):

3. Dorcus hopei pupae (2-4 here), showing color changes as it matures:

4. Calappa lophos. Not entirely the same sculpt, but very similar for different releases:

5. Prosopocoilus dissimilis. Two sets of Kaiyodo duplicates here. Numbers 2 and 3 are from the Capsule Q Museum set of stag beetles; 4 and 5 are from the original Choco Q Animatales set:

6. Pterygotus. Again, not the same but a very very similar re-release:

7. Scolopendra subspinipes (Toxic Animals set):

8. Sasakia charonda. Figures 3 and 5 represent male and female from the Midsummer Night Feast set:

9. Cambaroides japonicus. Figures 2 and 3 are from Natural Treasures of Japan. Figures 6 and 7 are from the Tohoku Capsule Q collection:

10. Procambrus clarkii. Figures 1 and 2 are from the Choco Q Animatales set:

11. Platycerus acuticollis (Capsule Q Stag Beetles collection):

12. Damaster blaptoides. Figures 1 and 2 are from the same Capsule Q set:

13. Opabinia regalis. Figure 7 is a re-release of 5

14. Harmonia axyridis. The two in row 1 are from the same set (Sticky Tack Insect set)

15. Rhomborrhina japonica. From the same set (Midsummer Feast)

That's what I have handy. There are more, and a lot more of non-arthropods...
Back to top Go down
WhiteLightning Wolf

WhiteLightning Wolf

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Oh these are wonderful! I have a few color variants / special editions as well.

Mainly my Kaiyodo wolves:

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 am

These kinds of comparisons are always fun to see.

study I think this page shows the rest of the "B-Pal special collection":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Those first two wolf pictures are interesting- they show how some models not only received color variations but also had their actual construction changed. Look how nice that second wolf looks without a seam going through its midsection!

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 3:33 am

You are right, I simply forget about the Be-Pal ones. There is also a relaunch for the 10th anniversary set

@Blaine: The Opabinia, Pterygotus, Psychopyge and the whole [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are slightly different models than the previous Dinotales.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 8:29 am

I see a lot of interesting things :)

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

@Blaine: The Opabinia, Pterygotus, Psychopyge and the whole [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are slightly different models than the previous Dinotales.

ha! only very very slightly ;-)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Here are the 2 other figurines of the special collection. But i only have these figurines and not a other colour variation

Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 12:51 am

Nice frog and hare. I wonder if this is also a Japanese hare, like the one that got a summer and winter version in the Capsule-Q set?

Here's what I can contribute. Unfortunately I can't show the alternate versions alongside these.

First, the red-clawed crab Chiromantes haematocheir. This appears to be the "Be-Pal" variation of the Animatales Series 3 figure, which has a greenish/yellow carapace. I think this one represents a mature individual?

Next, the Japanese flying squid Todarodes pacificus. This is an example of a variation that is constructed differently. The original (Animatales Series 4) is darker with no spots, and has different seams.

Lastly, one of the Series 8 special figures I think is especially interesting: the Ryukyu kingfisher. This is an extinct kingfisher known from only one specimen apparently from the Miyako islands. It is thought to be a subspecies of the Guam kingfisher Todiramphus cinnamominus, which is itself extinct in the wild but survives through a captive breeding program. The other version of this figure represents the Guam kingfisher, and has a dark bill and dark feet. So that makes two unusual species choices, one extinct and mysterious and the other very rare. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Very interesting, especiallly the information of the King fisher. So i have the Guam Kingfisher and need the other colour variation of the Ryukyu kingfisher with the hope he isnt really extinct.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 5:38 pm

A.R.Garcia wrote:
Nice frog and hare. I wonder if this is also a Japanese hare, like the one that got a summer and winter version in the Capsule-Q set?

Lastly, one of the Series 8 special figures I think is especially interesting: the Ryukyu kingfisher. This is an extinct kingfisher known from only one specimen apparently from the Miyako islands. It is thought to be a subspecies of the Guam kingfisher Todiramphus cinnamominus, which is itself extinct in the wild but survives through a captive breeding program. The other version of this figure represents the Guam kingfisher, and has a dark bill and dark feet. So that makes two unusual species choices, one extinct and mysterious and the other very rare. Very Happy

I could believe :)

here is the Guam kingfisher

Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Andreas, things get more interesting! scratch study

Your kingfisher has the dark feet, but the beak looks the same as mine. But there is a dark-beaked version (look at the bottom of this page): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Could yours be a hybrid figure, made from the head of one and the feet of the other? Also, does yours have a light stripe above its left eye? I thought it was a flaw on mine, so I took the picture showing the right side. However, the picture and translated description from that link indicate that the light stripe above the left eye is intentional.

Anyway, we each have a handsome representative of a Guam-ish kingfisher. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 am

A.R.Garcia wrote:

Your kingfisher has the dark feet, but the beak looks the same as mine. But there is a dark-beaked version (look at the bottom of this page): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Could yours be a hybrid figure, made from the head of one and the feet of the other? Also, does yours have a light stripe above its left eye? I thought it was a flaw on mine, so I took the picture showing the right side. However, the picture and translated description from that link indicate that the light stripe above the left eye is intentional.

Anyway, we each have a handsome representative of a Guam-ish kingfisher. Very Happy

Oh yes, it is a light beak. But i think it could be also a mistake by the seller. But it is interesting, the white little stripe isnt in the black.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 7:30 pm

A.R.Garcia wrote:

Now i have both versions

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Here you can see both kingfishers

And the differences between the Furuta and the Kaiyodo Ruddy kingfisher. So it looks that are different subspecies too

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Varied tit

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

usually when Kaiyodo has these color variations, such as seen in the tits and kingfishers, it is for a very specific reason (male vs. female; different subspecies; adult vs. young). I am pretty sure the kingfishers represent different species or subspecies; I cannot remember about the tits offhand.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 8:40 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
usually when Kaiyodo has these color variations, such as seen in the tits and kingfishers, it is for a very specific reason (male vs. female; different subspecies; adult vs. young). I am pretty sure the kingfishers represent different species or subspecies; I cannot remember about the tits offhand.

I believe one of them is a Owston's tit once this species was considered conspecific with the varied tit and recently it was promoted to species status.

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions   Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo colour variations / special editions
Page 1 of 1