Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) Empty
PostSubject: Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Walk-around of the scorpion, gen. sp. by Safari LTD, Incredible Creatures, reissued for 2018. The scorpion was not marketed at the species level. While it was originally hinted at being African during the teaser Polaroid shots released by Safari late last year, I do not think it was intended to be an African species. More likely, it was modeled after North American species Hadrurus arizonensis Ewing, 1928 or Paravaejovis spinigerus (Wood, 1863) [or a related vaejovid].

This figure is simply a reissue of the Hidden Kingdom scorpion from 2000, but with an upgraded paint job. One thing that is odd, is that while the stamp on the bottom of the figure is not the same as the 2000 model, it still has ‘2000’ stamped on the underside! Safari LTD must base copyright dates on when the initial sculpt was released.

I should also point out, the few remaining figures available from the Hidden Kingdom line have been merged with Incredible Creatures. This could be an advantage for someone like me; if Safari continues with taxonomic diversity in the IC line, this could mean more regular insects or arachnids (despite several crustaceans this is the first arachnid in the IC line, and there has been only one insect prior to the sinking of the Hidden Kingdom figures into it!).

The figure measures 17 cm (tail outstretched, but not including pedipalps), making it slightly over 1:1 for a very large specimen of H. arizonensis or roughly 2.5:1 for P. spinigerus. Like the original HK figure, the metasoma (tail) and pedipalps (pincers) are poseable.

In all honesty, unless you are a completist (with regards to taxon or company), there is probably no reason to get this if you have the 2000 release (unless you like the color better). I like it, but I am not excited for it.

On to the pics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Out with the old, in with the new:

Scorpions are no stranger to Safari LTD over the years: Smithsonian Insects (1994), Hidden Kingdom (2000), Incredible Creatures (2018), Desert Creatures TOOB, Insects TOOB, Venomous Creatures TOOB, Authentics Insects, Cave Dwellers TOOB (2014), and Good Luck Mini (2017). The entire Safari scorpion family:

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 pm

What an Incredible Collection cheers

Thankyou very much for showing these ! It is very useful and interesting Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks for telling us what really changed from the previous one to this reissued one. I really also like the newer painting much better, it is far more convincent with these less bright colors. Although not an expert but just as a scorpions enthusiast, I am also almost sure it is not an African species and that you are pointing it towards the right direction. I find the Smythsonian figure really impressive and the cave scorpion an interesting release. All other Safari scorpions do not look very exciting to me. Contrarily to what happens with the only scorpion of my collection, the Papo one. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice scorpion :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpion (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)
Page 1 of 1