Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) Empty
PostSubject: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 2:15 am

Walk around of the honey bee, Apis mellifera Linnaeus, 1758 by Safari LTD for their Incredible Creatures line, originally released in 2006. What is surprising about this figure is that it is the ONLY insect to ever be released in the Incredible Creatures line, and it would be the only terrestrial arthropod if not for the recent sinking of the old Hidden Kingdom line into the IC line (of course, the only remaining figures in that line are the monarch, black widow, orange-kneed tarantula, and revamped scorpion). It amazes me that the largest groups of animals have been so underrepresented in the IC line! My hopes is that sinking the HK figures into the IC line might revitalize this group by Safari.

This figure is 11.0 cm long, making it slightly smaller than 10:1 for an average-sized worker. The form of the eyes and presence of a stinger suggests a worker bee. The detail is fairly nice but still comes off as 'generic' like so many bin-style figures. The thorax is denuded on top, which is not uncommon for workers who have been around a while. The hind tibiae are expanded but they didn't sculpt a defined pollen basket. The wings are transparent but the wing venation is not correct (for a figure this size, they could have made the venation accurate if they so chose), but then again, what company outside of Japan would go to the trouble of having accurate wing venation?

As I said earlier, I am hoping Safari's 2018 releases (new spiny lobster, revamped scorpion) are a sign that the IC line will be more diverse and have more insects in the future.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

Very very nice bee :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:34 am

It is a surprisingly nice model , especially after reading your comments, I can appreciate it cheers

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
It is a surprisingly nice model , especially after reading your comments, I can appreciate it cheers

Honestly, doing this walkaround made me appreciate it more than I have in the past too!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 7:03 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Honestly, doing this walkaround made me appreciate it more than I have in the past too!

Yes, that is one of the reasons that it is so much fun to make walkarounds, isn't it ?

I remeber Christophe asking for a Wa of the Starlux yak. At first I thought it was a strange request. I mean - such a tiny model Shocked Laughing
But as I was making the pictures, I realized how wonderful this little piece of plastic is Very Happy

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Last night I went to the Loveland Living Planet aquarium in Draper, UT where they have a living bee hive as one of their exhibits. I was pleasantly surprised to see the outside of the display was decorated with a lot of Safari Incredible Creatures honey bees!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:48 pm

That is wonderful !!! Famous bees cheers

Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Looks very good. I brilliant idea.
Back to top Go down
Ravonium

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Congrats to that aquarium for a nice use of toy figurines cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)   Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures) Empty

Back to top Go down

Honey Bee (Safari LTD - Incredible Creatures)
Page 1 of 1