Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

House Fly (Bullyland)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

House Fly (Bullyland) Empty
PostSubject: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 am

Walk-around of the house fly, Musca domestica Linnaeus, 1758 by Bullyland, originally released in 1994. I believe there were two color forms released. When I reviewed the house fly in the Kaiyodo Sticky Tack Insect set, I thought that was the only figure specifically attributable to this species. However, this Bullyland figure (which I only recently obtained, courtesy of Beatrice) came with papers specifically identifying it as M. domestica. One cannot resist a fly figure attributable to the species level :).

The figure is 7.0 cm long (not including legs and wings), making it 10:1 scale. The paint job is relatively conservative. It has nice protruding mouthparts and thick, hard-plastic, clear wings. The wing venation is not accurate for this species (unlike the small Kaiyodo figure which, of course, paid attention to such detail). The name 'housefly' is also stamped into the wings.

On to the pics:

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163138

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163142

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163154

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163159

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163208

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163214

So, years ago (maybe sometime 2001-2004 or so) I purchased three large sets of hard plastic insects at a dollar store in Tempe, Arizona. I was excited to see such variety for so little money. What I did not realize at the time, is that a lot of the larger figures in those sets were rip-offs of Bullyland figures. As I acquired more and more Bullys over the years it became more evident to me. Included are rip-offs of the Bullyland dragonfly, rhinoceros beetle, stag beetle, firefly, lady beetle (elytra closed), grasshopper, and possibly others that currently escape my mind. I still have most of them (unfortunately I misplaced the firefly years ago). Here I show you the fly from that set. Interestingly, it is more detailed than the Bullyland figure. It is a little more elevated, BUT it has the exact same inaccurate wing venation pattern ;-).

House Fly (Bullyland) 20180212_163324

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Such a much-hated creature, but such a nice model cheers

Thankyou for one more great presentation, and helpful comments Very Happy

Please, can you explain "inaccurate wing venation pattern" study ?

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Such a much-hated creature, but such a nice model cheers

Thankyou for one more great presentation, and helpful comments  Very Happy

Please, can you explain "inaccurate wing venation pattern"  study  ?

The patterns of veins in the wings (=wing venation) of flies usually helps to define the family level. In this figure, the veins are not consistent with the family (Muscidae) nor genus (Musca).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am

Many people complains about Bullyland but the fact, is that whichever is our collecting taste, we always find something interesting among their figures. Their diversity, some good years ago, was really impressive and putting a fly to species level is really daring. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Roger wrote:
Many people complains about Bullyland but the fact, is that whichever is our collecting taste, we always find something interesting among their figures. Their diversity, some good years ago, was really impressive and putting a fly to species level is really daring. Very Happy

SO true cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 12:03 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:

SO true cheers

Yes, and only today I've found that I have more Bullyland figures than I thought. :lol:sleep: geek Yes, I've found them with a huge grasshopper. affraid

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 am

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:

SO true cheers

Yes, and only today I've found that I have more Bullyland figures than I thought. Yes, I've found them with a huge grasshopper. affraid

I LOVE Bullyland's insects and arachnids, always have. And the still make them periodically (take last years three spiders that were all new, unique at the species level in toy form!).
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 am

bmathison1972 wrote:

Please, can you explain "inaccurate wing venation pattern"  study  ?

The patterns of veins in the wings (=wing venation) of flies usually helps to define the family level. In this figure, the veins are not consistent with the family (Muscidae) nor genus (Musca).[/quote]

Ahhh !! Thankyou Very Happy
Ha, ha, I read it as Ven(til)ation Embarassed geek Embarassed clown Laughing

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm

I like that house fly because it is a figurine. But i dont like the living house flys :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House Fly (Bullyland)   House Fly (Bullyland) Empty

Back to top Go down

House Fly (Bullyland)
Page 1 of 1