Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

snow crab (MegaHouse)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

snow crab (MegaHouse) Empty
PostSubject: snow crab (MegaHouse)   snow crab (MegaHouse) EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Walkaround of a new species for me, the snow crab Chionoecetes opilio (Fabricius, 1788) by MegaHouse. Snow crabs are popular commercial crabs native to shelf depths of the northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Surprisingly, this species has not been made before.

The figure is a 'Kaitai' puzzle consisting of 41 pieces! The pieces snap together without any adhesive. This figure has both internal and external organs, but interestingly, the internal structures are hidden when the figure is complete. The set also comes with a paper plate and plastic 'crab claw crackers', simulating a cooked specimen, and a recipe guide LOL. Interestingly, when we see red crustaceans like this, they are often meant to represent cooked individuals, however in nature C. opilio is more commonly red than green or brown! When completed, the carapace measures about 5.5 cm, making it about 1:3 for a large male and just over 1:2 for a large female.

There are positives and negatives to this figure. The carapace shape is about correct and the proportions are nice. However, the eyes are cartoony and somewhat anthropomorphized. Also, some of the part labels are permanently printed on the pieces (for those of you who like to customize and repaint, these are minor issues).

The first two pics below are courtesy of Hobby Search from where it was bought, the other three are mine. I did not take step-by-step pics as I assembled it. An interesting figure, but a new species for me!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: snow crab (MegaHouse)   snow crab (MegaHouse) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 am

This one must take a steady hand to assemble Laughing

But the reault is really nice, - and the idea to include the internal organs is great Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: snow crab (MegaHouse)   snow crab (MegaHouse) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Nice crab puzzle :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: snow crab (MegaHouse)   snow crab (MegaHouse) Empty

Back to top Go down

snow crab (MegaHouse)
Page 1 of 1