Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.

Go down 
+5
Caracal
widukind
RtasVadumee
Roger
Seeway
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 am

RtasVadumee wrote:
Roger wrote:
The second version looks a knockoff. :Shocked:

I ASSURE you Roger that this is what my town's shops are selling. And most of their Papo big cats' painting looks like that.

I also have the 2007 Schleich jaguar. I think the fur pattern is more realistic than on Schleich's newer model (I prefered to buy the black version). However the first Papo jaguar I posted is awesome but may not be in stores anymore...

As I said before, Papo reduces the paintwork on later batches. This also happens with K&M/Wild Republic toobs. Less details, less shadows, all to reduce steps in the process to reduce time and money.

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 11:42 am

NightLioness wrote:
As I said before, Papo reduces the paintwork on later batches. This also happens with K&M/Wild Republic toobs. Less details, less shadows, all to reduce steps in the process to reduce time and money.

Don't you think it is shameful ?

You are mentionning two other companies, but I don't think any of the other 4 major brands does that. I mean, I have never seen such a huge difference in paint job between two Schleich for example (and I have been comparing Schleich figures for quite a long time now).

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Papo is the only brand I don't dare to order online because of this. I've seen wonderful and sloppy paintings of the same model, so it's a risk I won't take and yes, it's disturbing.
With Schleich the painting differs if the particular model is made in different countries, but most of the times the result is very close to what you expect.
Collecta is the most reliable to the promo picture of the model, usually it's even better. The only problem with Collecta is that sometimes you might get slightly bended legs or antlers if the model is not well packed and protected. That's not a quality issue though, but a choice to make them thinner and realistic.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Safari and Mojo, not available in Greece.
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 12:33 pm

CollectA rules. It is by far the best brand in my opinion. They make unusual, rare species and their figures are so well painted that they look alive (especially their ungulates).

They may not be so good as far as well-known species are concerned but they are seriously improving themselves and are currently releasing new models of common species that are masterpieces like the hippo, the white rhino, and soon, the mountain gorilla.

I had the antlers problem too but I am usually able to fix it. Once, I also had a Watusi with one leg shorter than the others but it is not that obvious.

Can't you order Mojo or Safari from the UK or Germany ? Moreover, is Papo widely available in Greece ? There are quite a lot of Papo in France but it's the French brand so that's not surprising. I don't know whether you can find it easily in other European countries or not. What about CollectA ? Is it only in zoos or do toy shops sell it too ? In France, no CollectA at all Sad
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Sure, I can order, but I I'm quite content at the moment with these 3, still plenty to buy. I might order the new Safari wolf this week though, it looks better than schleichs and collectas IMO..

Yes, Papo is available in Athens and so is Collecta. Collecta is not on the big toy stores yet, mostly in smaller stores. But since they manage to be the only brand of animal figurines in the Attica Park's store, I bet they're selling more figures in total than Schleich and Papo do together..

Also there are a lot of internet stores here that sell Collecta items, they offer them quite cheaper than physical places and charge nothing for local post if you order a total of 20 euros or more. For example, foxes/badgers cost 3.30, hyena 4.60, Lion / Antelopes 6.10, Hippo / horses 7.40
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 2:46 pm

spacelab wrote:
Sure, I can order, but I I'm quite content at the moment with these 3, still plenty to buy. I might order the new Safari wolf this week though, it looks better than schleichs and collectas IMO..

I understand you. I tend not to wander with too many brands at the same time. Now I have almost every CollectA figure I wanted, I can turn my attention to Mojo and Safari but I did not do it before.

spacelab wrote:
Yes, Papo is available in Athens and so is Collecta. Collecta is not on the big toy stores yet, mostly in smaller stores. But since they manage to be the only brand of animal figurines in the Attica Park's store, I bet they're selling more figures in total than Schleich and Papo do together..

There must be stores selling CollectA in Paris too but there is no single one in the whole west of France (I have visited them all !) ! Sad

spacelab wrote:
Also there are a lot of internet stores here that sell Collecta items, they offer them quite cheaper than physical places and charge nothing for local post if you order a total of 20 euros or more. For example, foxes/badgers cost 3.30, hyena 4.60, Lion / Antelopes 6.10, Hippo / horses 7.40

In France, only "Darty" (a household appliance company scratch ) sells CollectA on the internet and the prices are so expensive (like 15 euros for a lion ! Shocked ). I prefer to order on ebay.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Again, here I put on a photo to show the comparison of two Papo 2005 silver-back gorillas. The silver painting for the right one is totally missing. I bought it online and I thought that that's the way it is until I saw those with silver painting in a store. so I bought the second one.

Also, the 2015 snarling tiger I got online had obvious painting smear on obvious part of body. I repainted to cover it up.

I agree that It's really a risk to order Papo online. Unfortunately there is no physical store selling Papo anymore in Taipei since many years ago.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Seeway wrote:
I agree that It's really a risk to order Papo online. Unfortunately there is no physical store selling Papo anymore in Taipei since many years ago.

However, you may find CollectA and Mojo more easily Very Happy

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 3:43 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
Seeway wrote:

However, you may find CollectA and Mojo more easily Very Happy

Yes, we have importers of these two brands supplying toy stores, and Schleich and Safari as well.
However, Papo, CollectA and Safari are the most I bought these years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2