Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VexVamp

VexVamp

Country/State : United States

Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 pm

I got this figure as part of a lot, and since I don't collect penguins, it's now for sale on my Ebay [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . But before I sold it, I wanted to be sure to do a turnaround, since I haven't seen much info about this figure before, and thought other collectors might be interested in seeing it. I think it's exceptionally beautiful, even considering Kaiyodo's already stellar lineup, and was almost tempted to keep it despite it not fitting in with the rest of my collection. I believe that these are a Gentoo (bottom) and banded (top) penguin. They're both native to the Falkland Islands, so it would make a lot of sense. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to comment below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by VexVamp on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://VexCollects.deviantart.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 am

That's a fabulous piece! Both in scientific terms as well as a decorative subject. Thanks for sharing that masterpiece with us before selling it. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 5:24 am

Lovely penguins

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am

Beautiful pair of penguins and great photos. These penguins aren't on the Toy Animal Wiki yet. Would you be happy for me to put some of your photos there?

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 am

Roger wrote:
That's a fabulous piece! Both in scientific terms as well as a decorative subject. Thanks for sharing that masterpiece with us before selling it. Very Happy

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 am

widukind wrote:
Lovely penguins

Thank you, I agree.
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 3:58 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Beautiful pair of penguins and great photos. These penguins aren't on the Toy Animal Wiki yet. Would you be happy for me to put some of your photos there?

Thank you, and of course, my turnarounds are always free to use on the wiki.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks. They are now on TAW. I'd also think they are a gentoo and banded penguin. But which banded penguin? Humboldt or Magellanic? My feeling is that it looks most like the Humboldt penguin. (Penguinworld.com says: Humboldt Penguins lack the second dark breast band found in Magellanic Penguin and have more extensive areas of bare facial skin.) But it looks a bit different from Kaiyodo's other Humboldt penguin (which looks more typical): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 9:57 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks. They are now on TAW. I'd also think they are a gentoo and banded penguin. But which banded penguin? Humboldt or Magellanic? My feeling is that it looks most like the Humboldt penguin. (Penguinworld.com says: Humboldt Penguins lack the second dark breast band found in Magellanic Penguin and have more extensive areas of bare facial skin.) But it looks a bit different from Kaiyodo's other Humboldt penguin (which looks more typical): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I agree. If they wanted to make a magellanic they surely wouldn't miss the second band once it is their most distinctive feature. Chinstrap and African penguins are quite similar but I'd go to the Humboldt.
Humboldt penguins are not native from Falkland Islands but their breeding region covers all the West coast of South America. It is also much probably a piece representing the Penguin Aquarium of the Asahiyama Zoo, thus I believe it is not that important that they ocur in the same region.
Curiously, if I only used the head painting to determine the species, it could be quite hard to tell the species once I think it doesn not match any particular species of banded penguin. It even looks somewhat like the chinstrap but not correct either. Fortunately the gentoo is quite easily identifyiable with its headphones. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround   Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo Asahiyama CapsuleZoo Swimming Penguins Walkaround
Page 1 of 1