Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AAA Rhino... species?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

AAA Rhino... species? Empty
PostSubject: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptyFri 1 May 2020 - 20:42

I've had these guys with my african rhinos since childhood due to their horn. However the bumps on the skin and very subtle skin folds might indicate an asian species. The lips don't help at all either. Any opinions? The adult is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], no further info on it or the calf other than labelled as "Rhinoceros".
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptyFri 1 May 2020 - 21:04

A rhino with two horns is an African rhino but a few models of Indian rhinoceros were also made with a pair of horns. I don't know if they are inspired in old gravures if the sculptor wanted to make a chimaera between both groups of rhinos or if they are just simple mistakes.
Anytime I found one of these, I list them as Indian rhinoceros because I think it is easier that a sculptor puts the wrong number of horns than giving all this armoured look to an African rhino.
An iconic example is the old Elastolin rhinoceros, here from Susanne's picture although I could also take a pic of mine. It not only have a pair of horns as these horns are clearly similar to those of an African specimen.
I'd love to read different theories about why it happens. affraid
These you're showing are still missing at the wiki, the only AAA representative is a more acurate approach from Vallérie's collection.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptyFri 1 May 2020 - 21:08

Yes I know they are missing from the wiki. I will be sending photos your way soon. :) I was hoping to get a better ID for them before I did, but I think you already have given a satisfactory answer!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptyFri 1 May 2020 - 21:35

One or two horns, - they are full of old fashioned charm cheers

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptyFri 1 May 2020 - 21:40

That they are! These two are good old friends.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptySat 2 May 2020 - 1:54

Recently I commented on Taylor's rhinos topic about the fact that AAA African rhino figures are not known. That is something completely hard to understand in such an extensive range and rhinos are popular. Do we missed anything, scratch Will any collector ever surprise us with one?
I am so glad you are contributing with pictures to the wiki, you are a complete collector and it will be of great help. Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? EmptySat 2 May 2020 - 4:24

Roger wrote:
Recently I commented on Taylor's rhinos topic about the fact that AAA African rhino figures are not known. That is something completely hard to understand in such an extensive range and rhinos are popular. Do we missed anything, scratch Will any collector ever surprise us with one?
I am so glad you are contributing with pictures to the wiki, you are a complete collector and it will be of great help. Very Happy
I've noticed that rhinos are quite absent from their ranges. scratch Like you said, I hope to see some more figures surface someday.
I am more than happy to contribute! Hopefully I can fill in some holes and help people!Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAA Rhino... species?   AAA Rhino... species? Empty

Back to top Go down

AAA Rhino... species?
Page 1 of 1