Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wholly rhino [help]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Markus

Country/State : Norway

Wholly rhino [help] Empty
PostSubject: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Hello,
I'm not a prehistoric fauna collector, but there are some species I do like and I'll like to include in my collection.
One of these is the wholly rhino. I was waiting to get the new Safari sometime, but I have now the chance to get the Papo, which I know is retired.
I would buy it undoubtedly, but the strange shape of the horn does not convince me...
What do you think I should do? Shall I take the Papo only because is more valuable?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm

If you can get the Papo model without a big finantial effort, I think you should get it and you can trade or sell it later when you find the Safari model once the latter is more accordingly with your collecting tastes. If it means you will give up from getting the Safari model, i think you should favour the figure that you like best regardless of its collecting value.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 5:41 pm

The Papo horns are not so strange, the Wooly rhino horns were flattened like the Papo ones. The only odd thing are the carving details (like antlers).
Back to top Go down
Markus

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Thank you both. I finally get it.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 5:45 pm

Great Very Happy

Here is a pic of the horns

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Markus

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 5:46 pm

I looked for many pictures on internet. Some (only some) phossils showed this flattened horn. But not so exaggerated as in the Papo figure.

I will keep it until I get an offer I cannot reject haha
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 8:29 pm

Do you mean pictures of actual woolly rhino horns or drawn illustrations?
When I type "woolly rhino horn" into Google Images the majority if not all of the results are various flat horns.
Other than that it should be noted that rhino horns can have a lot of shape variation due to not having a bony core, they can grow into all directions and shapes, woolly rhino horns are however usually flat due to the base they grow from being narrow.
Both the horn shape of the Papo and the Safari one are possible.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] EmptyWed Mar 17, 2021 6:29 am

I agree with Burgerenby, Papo's horns are not exagereted. I know accuracy isn't Papo team's main concern but at least on these horns they did the job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wholly rhino [help]   Wholly rhino [help] Empty

Back to top Go down

Wholly rhino [help]
Page 1 of 1