Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection

Go down 
+14
Gecko08
Bonnie
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
Roger
pipsxlch
Caracal
Megaptera
costicuba
widukind
Advicot
SUSANNE
QuollMate
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection Empty
PostSubject: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:47 am

These are some of the absolute rarest items I own in my collection. Basically very few of these items ever pop up on eBay, if ever. Feel free to share your own!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I bought an entire lot of Play Visions nudibranchs on eBay. Only one species was missing. I kept just these three, as I found them to be the most interesting to look at. I have duplicates for trade.

Unlike the tropical reef fish Play Visions bulk, these three do not show up on eBay or in lots very often at all. I can’t remember off the top of my head what bulk these came from, but Play Visions had these three additional reef fish. A clownfish, a clown triggerfish, and a chinstrap parrotfish.

The Action Products lionfish. I never see this on eBay or in lots. I was lucky to get it in a trade.

Unbranded fish from eBay. The molds themselves are not uncommon and can be found everywhere in different paint schemes. However, I have NEVER seen these fish in these schemes, until I found them on eBay. The raccoon butterflyfish is my absolute favorite and was a common sight on all my trips to Hawaii.

The Play Visions marine reptiles were a surprise-find on AliExpress.

The Yujin “Miracle Planet” Kimberella very rarely pops up on eBay, and shows up more often on Japanese auction sites. With the help of Brett, I was able to get my hands on this figure at a steep discount.

I finally got around to getting the Yujin “Miracle Planet” Haikouella, which is about the same rarity as the Kimberella. I now own a toy of every species of Cambrian animal ever made.

The COG Ltd. Dino Horizons / Prehistoric Panorama line consisted of several sets amounting to 6 figures each. The sets were retired, though they eventually returned to the market. They only brought back 4 of the 6 figures from each set. Aysheaia was sadly not one of them. I was very lucky to snag this one off of eBay.

The Kaiyodo “Study Room” Nipponites is not easily attainable or cheap. It’s a personal favorite of mine.

The Medicom Tully monster. Occasionally shows up on Japanese auction sites, and not for cheap.

The Jack-in-the-Box kid’s meal dolichorhynchops was not a major searchlist item for me and was mostly a blip on the radar. It was one of those “If I see it, I’ll buy it” deals. Well, sure enough, it popped up on eBay for the first time in who knows how long. You don’t really see a lot of these on eBay. I’m amazed I only got it for $10 considering how uncommon and unusual it is. This toy came out for the NatGeo movie in 2007. It’s not bad at all considering it’s a “happy meal” toy.

The Play Visions prehistoric amphibian set was probably one of their best, in my opinion. The sculpts and paint schemes were based on illustrations in a book. This set is very highly sought after among prehistoric collectors like myself. I am still looking for the diplocaulus, which is on my searchlist.

The Play Vis— PEC prehistoric mammals. They are bootlegs of the original Play Visions set. To me, as long as the quality and paint are relatively the same, I don’t care if there’s a PV or PEC stamp on the belly. If there was no PEC stamp on them, I would have assumed they were Play Visions because the quality and paintwork are effectively the same.

The Club Earth recently extinct animals set is a nice one. I try to go for more primitive things, but this set was too nice to pass up. I have traded for the cape lion and an updated photo will be available at some point.

At the time I bought it, the Innovative Kids “Gone Extinct” set was still in production and available for purchase at Barnes and Noble. Unfortunately, the set is next to impossible to find now. It has some really interesting species and a few missed opportunities.

Here are some prototypes that were gifted to me from Simon, the CEO/Founder of Replica Toy Fish Company (now rebranded as Toy Fish Factory). They were never put into production or sold. I’m probably the sole owner of these fish and I can’t imagine anyone else out there owns any. Simon gave them to me because I bought his entire line in one sitting one night.

I’m sure the Albert Heijn roebuck is common in The Netherlands, but if it weren’t for Dutch collector Julie, I probably wouldn’t own it.

Most Safari Authentics are easy to find, but this paint variant of the elk is not. I see a lot of the other paint scheme on eBay and such, but not this one.

The Play Visions elk is a rare and unique one— I’m glad it joined my elk herd. I’m waiting on one final elk.

I ended up with this highly unusual, unmarked California Quail. It has sentimental value because this particular species use to wander through my deceased grandparents’ backyard very often.

I based the rarity of these figures on a few criterium:

• Not many other collectors own it.
• It is not cheap.
• It is not easily or immediately available for purchase.
• It is discontinued or no longer in production.
• It is a prototype.
• It does not appear in eBay lots regularly.

I left K&M and Joy City off of this list. The K&M animals in my collection (except for maybe one) do appear in eBay lots on a fairly regular basis. Joy City is likely still producing their tubes, based on their website.

I will be adding more to this thread as some more rarities come in.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page

Last edited by QuollMate on Tue May 26, 2020 8:50 am; edited 25 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 7:44 am

Amazing !!! affraid

So many rare model you have cheers

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

If I saw some of these in charity shops I would probably look them over as cheap china made figures and regret it if I didn't buy them

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Nice stuff. What brand are the nudibranches?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Congratulations for having these wonderful and rare models cheers

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 7:37 pm

widukind wrote:
Nice stuff. What brand are the nudibranches?

QuollMate wrote:

I bought an entire lot of Play Visions nudibranchs on eBay. Only one species was missing. I kept just these three, as I found them to be the most interesting to look at. I have duplicates for trade.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Wonderful rarities Applause
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 10:53 pm

very beautiful fishes and marine reptiles! cheers Applause

which species are the 2 lower P.V/ P.E.C.prehistoric mammals please?
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyWed May 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Caracal wrote:

Megatherium & Prorastomus!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyThu May 07, 2020 3:07 am

Some very droolworthy things. Applause

The set with the opabinia is also Innovative Kids?
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptyThu May 07, 2020 3:50 am

pipsxlch wrote:
Some very droolworthy things. Applause

The set with the opabinia is also Innovative Kids?

Yes, all three of the photos that are together are Innovative Kids. Very Happy

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 17, 2020 8:54 am

Added new pics!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 17, 2020 10:34 am

Ahhh ! The lovely quail Applause Applause

Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 17, 2020 11:33 am

The quail is just marvellous

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 17, 2020 1:01 pm

A must have

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 17, 2020 3:44 pm

QuollMate wrote:
Caracal wrote:

Megatherium & Prorastomus!

Thank you Quollmate! :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Here are some of mine. They may not all be that rare, but I think they are. Very Happy

The baby mammoth from Bullyland.
It seems it is going to be launched , but this one must be a prototype since I got from Singapore some years ago Very Happy

I was fortunate to get the brown mouse from Mojo, before it was replaced by the white one :

Almost completely perfect elephant from Danish Brand NEO-FORM.
It is from the mid 1950, and the material is extremely brittle, so it must be very unusual to see one so well kept.

The Dodos from Nohs Pals, a WONDERFUL gift from Roger  ! cheers
In each box of NPs there is a card with a code, and when you had collected them all, you could send the codes tothe manufacturer to get these dodos Very Happy

Gemsbok from Safari's Vanishing Wild Series .
The calf seems to be less rare, but I got the adult all the way from Canada  Laughing

Another Vanishing Wild model , which is so rare that before I actually had her in my hand, I was not sure they existed !!!!
There were 9 models. Take a look, so you know them if you find them , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Wink
This one was a gift from Maria ( Teardrops) in Bulgaria, and Kosta was the one who made sure this - at least - 30 years old beauty now sits on my piano and makes me smile every time I see her  drunken

Some of the first models Schleich ever made : Biegefiguren  Very Happy

A Schleich Classics Alsatian from a beautyful series made in 1992 and 93.
They are all rare, but for some reason the dog is extremely hard to find.
Several people have asked me if I wanted to sell, but I will have to be pretty desperate before I split the set from each other  Rolling Eyes

This poodle and foxterrier were made by Schleich app 1965.
The larger ones are so rare that they are not even mentioned in Gascher's catalogue.
Interesting to see that they were also made as Minis.

The king penguin to the right here was made in 2010 and launced together with ....a flock of emperor chicks
So the model was quickly altered into an emperor penguin ( left) so the chicks could get the right parent  geek

As far as I know, these three are among the four rarest prehistoric Starlux  models.
There is a fourth one, but the price is completely gaga  Laughing

Also from Starlux, - perhaps not madly rare, but the are so fragile, I am not sure very many have survived...

Last, a relatively new model : the Carnegie Velociraptor 1:50 from 2015.
After 2015 the cooperation between The Carnegie Museum and Safari stiopped, so this model was only made for 1 year.

Perhaps not ultra-rare, but ultra-beautyful  Laughing

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 2:10 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 3:12 pm

I have a fair amount of rare figures including the King penguin you showed Susanne. As I am away from my main laptop I'll post photos as soon as I can, here's the list

Schleich King penguin- not released for long before being changed
Papo and Safari black swans- both retired a number of years ago and not often seen on any websites
Schleich Hereford cow- only released in the USA for a short time
Schleich Black angus family- released in the USA in 2014 after they had been retired in 2007

And I think I have more but I can't remember Laughing

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Advicot wrote:
I have a fair amount of rare figures including the King penguin you showed Susanne. As I am away from my main laptop I'll post photos as soon as I can, here's the list

Schleich King penguin- not released for long before being changed
Papo and Safari black swans- both retired a number of years ago and not often seen on any websites
Schleich Hereford cow- only released in the USA for a short time
Schleich Black angus family- released in the USA in 2014 after they had been retired in 2007

And I think I have more but I can't remember Laughing  

That is impressive !
I look much forward to see your pictures Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Wonderful to see these dodos among your rarities, Susanne. Maybe this topic later could be merged with the SUY rarities. Idea

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 5:17 pm

I think so also, - but it must be Quolmate' s decition Wink

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Amazing rarities in this topic. The Starlux parrots, wow! Hard to believe that such a fragile model was a toy. We need to put it on TAW.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 7:23 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Amazing rarities in this topic. The Starlux parrots, wow! Hard to believe that such a fragile model was a toy. We need to put it on TAW.

Thankyou very much ! Very Happy
Yes, I have several models to put on TAI, but I don't know where to put them scratch

Perhaps I could make a topicwith pictures, and you and others can maybe tell me where they belong bounce cheers

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection EmptySun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

It goes into this section:https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Starlux_Wild_animals
It was first produced in 1961. Starlux listed it as a "parrot and cockatoo", but the parrot may be macaw.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection Empty

Back to top Go down

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next