Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection

Go down 
+14
Gecko08
Bonnie
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
Roger
pipsxlch
Caracal
Megaptera
costicuba
widukind
Advicot
SUSANNE
QuollMate
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun May 24, 2020 8:34 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
It goes into this section:https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Starlux_Wild_animals
It was first produced in 1961. Starlux listed it as a "parrot and cockatoo", but the parrot may be macaw.

Thankyou very much Very Happy
Now it is there , - but it is quite complicated when there are only galleries and no list Laughing

QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2020 8:55 am

SUSANNE wrote:

As far as I know, these three are among the four rarest prehistoric Starlux  models.
There is a fourth one, but the price is completely gaga  Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

WOW Susanne. I liked the Starlux models, though they’re a bit large for my tastes. It’s good to see another brachiopod on the toy market besides the three I own.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2020 10:16 am

Yes, I love that Spirifer also , even if it is a rather large and strange model cheers

I would so much love to have the "Trilobit in nodule", but the last time I saw it on Ebay, the price was something like 250 Euros Rolling Eyes
Perhaps because it is in two pieces, and many  half ones have gone missing ?

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Some really special figures here. Thank you both for showing them!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 am

I like to look back on the year around this time and sort of dub it "year of the -" based on whatever animal model was most prevalent in my additions for that year I.e. sable antelope, snow leopard, etc. Just sort of a fun look back to appreciate what I added to my collection (I have the bad habit of getting new models and sort of moving on to the next holy grail, strategizing too much, and I am trying to take the time to appreciate the models more).

I've never been too savvy with rarities though. Either just not too good at tracking them down in the first place, or they'd inevitably pop up when I least could afford the price for them. So unless a forum member was willing to trade or something I often didn't get too many true "rarities" and figured they'd be holy grails I'd never witness firsthand. This year, surprisingly, I was quite fortunate with several ebay finds and scouring the internet, and of course with the generosity of Forum Friends my 2020 year collecting wise has been a positive experience this year! 

Just from this year, here are some of my holy grails (not all my new additions as there are so many total) I was able to add to my collection and put a smile on my face:

First up, many PV and K&M and similar models. Most of these came from a new member this year, NMR_okapi. Thank you so much again my friend!

The club earth extinct series, somehow I found nearly the entire set this year on ebay just missing the lion, which I then got from NMR_okapi a few months later.

These were lucky ebay/internet finds. Various lots that popped up, most of them cheap as the seller's clearly didn't know what they had. The puffin I looked for for some time, as I did the pelican and dodo and labrador.  The K&M tube dogs were an impulse purchase. I'd never seen them before and something told me they were special... glad I did because they are quite rare from my understanding. The dorado fish is unbranded but perhaps my favorite surprise as I was able to haggle the ebay lot for a more affordable price and the model surpassed my expectations.

First off... that gorilla... quite expensive Shocked pale , but I knew I'd regret it if I missed him. So just due to the fact the model is the most I'd ever pay for (knock on wood) ever again, this year I dub year of the Snowflake. Wink Thank you so much Shanti for finding the listing on german ebay and sharing it!  The safari tigers just recently came, another luckout that they were all 3 up on ebay together in 2 lots. The zorse and curly horse were models I looked for for reasonable prices for years, as I did the warthog (I walked away from the curly horse in a store once, and have never forgiven myself since). The ram I was excited to find as there really should be more of this type of animal in toy form. And the glittery Schleich lion was a total happy surprise! I had walked in Fred Meyer, decided to check on the toys on a whim, and there he was when I thought he was merely a promotional figure for the toy fairs in europe! It gave me that rare "collectors" high that many of us have lost over the years...

Perhaps my most precious photo... a few years ago when my older brother married and inherited a pair of young boys, he sold me his Paposaur collection to me to help pay his bills. It broke his heart, collecting is a gene in my family I guess, and he made me promise to keep collecting the Paposaurs vicariously for him. I generally stay away from retail dinos due to expense and space, only adding when they come up in thrift stores or good sales. But I also mentally added at the time that I wanted to surprise him and find the 2 oldies he never did track down... and this year, I found a gently loved upright trex and the mustard yellow raptor! The breyer mini wolf was a holy grail for my wolf collection as it usually sells for a small fortune in the entire set (his shadowy variant probably never will join my shelves), and the howling traditonal sized wolf came from Kelly.  Razz Thanks again! The Asahiyama japanese model came all the way from Bulgaria, and was the first model to kick off this special year for me.

And last but definitely not the least, the holiest of grails and most precious of this year, is the K&M red wolf momma. I have had her one pup for many years now, a staple and always in the front so I can see him in my superpack. NMR_okapi worked a small miracle and is perhaps showed the greatest kindness anyone has ever shown me (a hard thing to accomplish in a forum full of the nicest people around). So this year is also the year of the Red Wolf. I can't thank you enough NMR_okapi!!!

Hopefully I can find time to post more of my "regular" rarities. I was one young collector who thought when I first joined that I'd never see the models I have now... here I am about a decade later and I have been able to find more than I ever dreamed of, even though my list also continues to grow. Wink Miracles really do happen is all I can say. Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 9:11 am

The Dorado fish looks a lot like the Kaiyodo Aquatales one. Is it in resin ?
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 9:37 am

I have to update mine. I’ll probably do it next week. I ended up finishing the Club Earth set and the PV amphibians. I also snagged the original PV mammals from eBay a couple of months ago. My K&M elk also needs to get posted.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Very Happy many treasures for me I would like so much to have, above all the PV viverrids and the auroch! cheers
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Lots of beautiful figures. It's a good idea to look back what you collected over the past year and looks like it was a great collecting year for you.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Sooo many treasures!! But especially the dogs, with those absolutely wonderful K&M figures, so rare and yet they are so lovely! Very Happy And the Safari yellow lab is gorgeous, and sadly so hard to get here as I rarely see him on Ebay!
Congratulations on such amazing additions for your collection this year! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Where i can find that fish??

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 4:55 pm

widukind wrote:
Where i can find that fish??

Ask Brett Wink
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 5:07 pm

Kiki the dorado is not resin, its a soft plastic like most models. I am certain its not a japanese brand maker, it doesn't resemble any of those styles/materials that I've come across from them. 

Thank you everyone else. :)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Kiki the dorado is not resin, its a soft plastic like most models. I am certain its not a japanese brand maker, it doesn't resemble any of those styles/materials that I've come across from them. 

Very interesting and intriguing. I have the Kaiyodo Mahi-mahi, it has the same shape with a poorer painting. Maybe you found a knock-off ?
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 3:43 am

I really like that dorado also- congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 am

The Kaiyodo model in my opinion is not too similar... for one the model I have the mouth isn't open whereas the Kaiyodo's is. My figure has no makers mark, some rough production formations of plastic on it and some mild scuffs. It's a relatively flexible plastic though the tail moves more than the head end but I think that's more so due to body shape than material. I'd be happy to post a walkaround sometime, not sure what model to use for comparison since Mahi-mahi are so rare in toy form. Maybe it was made for some deep sea fishing toy set or something? It is nicely painted...

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 9:33 am

You are right, it isn't excatly the same but it's not the mouth, it is the fins. For me it still looks like a knock-off, I prefer yours  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 1:25 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

I heard it is from chinese makers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Aha I thank you for the photos, I was looking at the wrong model. They do look quite similar, mine is much more colorful. Thanks for the correction Kiki!

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: What are the rarest figures/models in your collection?   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 3:51 pm

I didnt know that this topic was around lol! but I'm glad it is. Anyways, here are the absolute rarest of my dinosaur collection.
Kenner Jurassic Park

Schleich Replica-Saurus Shonisaurus

Discontinued Safari Scutosaurus

Favorite Fukui Museum Concavenator

Toyway Walking With Dinosaurs (Utahraptor, Torosaurus, Iguanodon, Postosuchus, Tyrannosaurus)

Tedco Aysheaia and Yowie Mcnamaraspis (those were really hard to find on eBay)

ROM Primeval Predators set (I just happened upon the last set in the online gift shop) and Favorite Cambrian Mini Models. Favorite/Kinto figures are just getting difficult to find in the west.

Sansyo88 (japenese private artist) Leedsichthys and Koolasuchus. The fins on the Leedsichthys have actually broken off before. Once during transit and then the other day for some reason.

Character Options Primeval (forum user [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] helped me get some of these)
I’m still looking for the Coelurosauravus

TS Toys WWD Polacanthus and Stegosaurus. I just got reminded of the Polacanthus so I will feature it in my reference list when I get a chance to. I’m still trying to get the TOYWAY Polacanthus due to its greater accuracy and detail.

Carnegie Collection (Deinosuchus, Giganotosaurus, and Amargasaurus. Some of these are rarer than others) & Terra Battat Nanshiungosaurus (I just found out it was rare).

Bullyland (Europasaurus, Chalicotherium, Eusmilus, Andrewsarchus, and Anchitherium). I remember getting the Europasaurus and Eusmilus from Dejankin’s and the rest from eBay.

And seeing this, I have reason to hold out hope for other rarites I’m after like the Play Visions Prehistoric Amphibians. I was on the fence whether or not to include Kaiyodo Dinotales here, but I opted not to because you can still find a lot of them on eBay.

Last edited by Gecko08 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 4:32 pm

That Safari Scutosaurus is one I am actively looking for. There was one on eBay for a while but at $130 USD I passed.

Not considering all of the esoteric arthropod figures in my collection, I'd say a couple of the rarest I have are the Play Visions potto and the K&M goliath beetle from the World Record Holders tube. Both were bycatch in eBay lots.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 6:13 pm

We definitely had a topic like this once before, cos I remember posting in it, and replying to people about  the models I'd shown! Laughing

Anyway, here's a top three with just the very rarest of mine...

[edit : Hmm, the following pictures are missing thanks to postimg having issues, I don't have an alternative place to upload them right now so please check later and we'll hope they're back!]

Peter Stone arabian mare, with factory-resculpted unique tails, thirteen made

Peter Stone weanling, portrait of a real foal, ten made

Peter Stone standing drafter, painted as a Percheron, nine made

spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 6:23 pm

George wrote:
We definitely had a topic like this once before, cos I remember posting in it, and replying to people about  the models I'd shown! Laughing

You are right, topics merged! Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Fauna Figures African Butterflyfish

Only about 6 were ever made due to the mold getting damaged.
Can you believe that I bought this for about $4 from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm

affraid I can't believe it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Absolute Rarest in My Collection   The Absolute Rarest in My Collection - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Absolute Rarest in My Collection
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2