Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)

Go down 
+29
bmathison1972
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
Bloodrayne
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
George
RtasVadumee
Jill
Burgerenby
sunny
Seeway
Markus
spacelab
Mitsukuni
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
Taos
SUSANNE
Bonnie
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
widukind
Loon
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 4:43 am

As always, thanks everyone for checking out the thread and commenting!

Quetzalcoatlus northropi is a member of a select club of prehistoric animals that, despite being known only from fragmentary remains, are immensely popular because they were possibly quite huge. With a wingspan of over 30 feet, Quetzalcoatlus was potentially the largest living thing to ever fly. I got to see a pair of skeletons at the Houston Museum of Natural Science back when I visited in 2018, and while they are speculative, they certainly ignited my imagination.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had been familiar with Quetzalcoatlus since it was a big favorite of online paleontology circles, but seeing these skeletons made me a fan. That, plus they play a prominent role in James Gurney's Dinotopia franchise. I never was the biggest fan of the toys the species has inspired, Papo's is cool (in a very Papo way), but inaccurate in a few too many ways; plus, that pose would just devour shelf space. Safari's will always hold a special place in my heart (more on that in a bit), but I wanted a quadrupedal version. So, enter GR Toys and Haolonggood with their new Quetzalcoatlus "1:35 scale" figure.
I am so happy to finally have a nice, big Quetzalcoatlus that is standing on all fours. I know that's a very particular set of criteria, but it's something I've wanted for a while. Yes, there are some issues: the jaw is incredibly lose, only holding on to a pose by shear luck; and the paint can be seen as a little simple here and there.

Despite the package's insistence on this figure being 1:35 scale, it's way too big for that. I hate measuring folding wings, but if my measurements were correct, this figure is roughly 1:26 scale, give or take. Here it is with fellow Late Cretaceous North America denizen, Pachycephalosaurus from PNSO, who is roughly about the same scale (1:23ish), as well as a similarly scaled Hailee Steinfeld. Especially when compared to a human, you get a real appreciation of how massive these pterosaurs may have been.

As part of an online contest, GR Toys has included a second, white copy of the figure for people to customize. It's neat to get this with the finished figure, since it shows a side of production we rarely get a look at. This model also comes unassembled, so you will have to glue the articulated jaw together. Still, including basically an entire extra figure for $35 usd total is pretty good value for money, moreso than some other companies in this bracket can provide at times.

The one glaring negative to whole experience of this figure is this card. The, admittedly poorly printed, art is stolen from David Peters. While Peters' opinions on biology are misguided and his art is bizarrely inaccurate, I truly dislike art theft. Even a credit would have made this better, but no. I have to imagine this packaging was not designed by the figure's designer, as this very off reconstruction contradicts the well proportioned model.

By now, you probably know I love to get a bunch of related figures together, but this Pterosaur group shot is a little saddening (I just wish there were more).

The Safari 2017 Quetzalcoatlus is still a beloved figure to me, and since I've started to not focus so much on replacing perfectly good figures when I find a "superior" one, it will coexist with the GR Toys figure and serve as the smaller, yet more understood Quetzalcoatlus lawsoni. It's not a perfect match, yet given how a lot about what we know about this genus as a whole is based on lawsoni, I think I can do enough mental gymnastics to get away with it.

I have to say, even with all that baggage, I am pretty impressed with this figure. I hadn't paid much mind to GR Toys or Haolonggood's work before; but after this figure, I am now more actively eyeing their stuff.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 9:55 am

Wonderful Quetzal and very tempting model. Since now, I only own the small Kaiyodo Dinotales because the other toys never convinced me. This one, despite the jaw flaw is changing my mind and I have a place for it on my 1/25 Prehistoric shelf. cheers

Your additions topic is really great but such neat presentation would be open as a walkaround topic to find it again and again more easily Very Happy

It is also nice to see you with bones and flesh, and glasses Laughing
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 11:41 am

Wonderful species and model and very good and useful presentation Loon! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 12:07 pm

Wonderful presentation and great to see you.
Now 1:35 scale is the new wave scale, everyone announces it even when it is not even close as it seems to be the case of this model.
Is there a Quetzalcoatlus figure good for 1:35?
I think your decision of getting this model was perfect, it is evident your enthusiasm about these creatures and the figure is spectacular so, I am sure it worth the finantial effort.

Loon

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: Zhonjieming Toys Giganotosaurus (2/23/2022)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 7:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks, as always.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Happy that I could help you decide on it. I guess I had never considered creating a thread like that, I always just assumed everyone beat me to the punch.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Happy you liked the post. As for the 1:35 scale, I would hazard a guess that the CollectA Quetzalcoatlus is maybe close? I know Safari's is far too small for Q. northropi, and CollectA's is somewhat larger from what I remember.

If you've ever looked for figures on AliExpress, I'm sure you've seen a shocking number of bootlegs for sale. For the most part, these are straight ripoffs of the big brands, made from much cheaper materials. Occasionally, there will be an oddity, such as a figure given a different figure's paint scheme, or oversized toys, but for the most part, there's rarely anything that thrilling. Of course, every once and a while something pops up that doesn't quite fit the mold, but struggles to be viewed as anything official. While these figures are not knock-offs and seemingly original molds, their origins are just as unknown. This Giganotosaurus is one such figure. After having seen it for some time, I finally saw one for a relatively cheap price and decided to check it out.  
I really like this figure's style, honestly. I think it sort of reminds me of Mark Hallet's work, what with all the spikes and such. Plus that intensely shrink-wrapped head is so 90s. It has a charm. Oh, and those colors are gorgeous. I get similar vibes from this and the original Papo Acrocanthosaurus. Maybe it was inspired by the W-Dragon Giganotosaurus?
The knee-jerk reaction would be to say that this is just a bootleg of the PNSO Giganotosaurus, but I don't think that's correct. Looking at the website of the manufacturer, Zhongjieming Toys, it appears that almost all of their figures are bootlegs, so, I can see where that idea comes from. Also, yes, both figures have a somewhat similar silhouette, but the smaller details don't match. The spines and scutes along the back also bring that PNSO figure to mind, but they're markedly different in a way that doesn't just feel like the result of poor molding. Frankly, I feel this figure was more inspired than directly ripped off of the PNSO figure. The most telling things to me are the positions of the limbs, which are not even that close, and if they were, they are still mirrored from the PNSO figure.  

Update: Since posting this, I have been informed that this is actually a ripoff of Dino-Soar Studio's Yangchuanosaurus resin model. So, there's that.
Overall, if you're just looking for a big, fun dinosaur figure, you can't really go wrong with this. I mean, you see how big this thing is, right? Keep in mind, this only cost me about $27 USD, which is shocking. I'm happy to have had it for a bit, but I won't be keeping it. Obviously, I don't think it's bad. I just wanted a big, dumb toy to mess with for a bit, and that's exactly what I got, and now, I'm perfectly happy to pass it on to someone else who will enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 25, 2022 12:49 am

Everything is copied, it is quite impressive. I sometimes also see knockoffs that I have no idea the original brand but we always find it was copied from somewhwere.
I didn't know that studio but I am sure this model will make someone happy, it is actually quite impressive!

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 25, 2022 11:26 am

Wow, stunning model! cheers Dinosaur models always amaze me, the sculptors can be so talented and the level of detail surpasses lots of the animal models, it must be great fun to be a prehistoric collector and have so much to choose from! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Feb 26, 2022 4:29 am

Big or not, that is a cool model! I like the skin detailing.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySun Feb 27, 2022 9:41 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2022 8:19 pm

The Adventure Force Tyrannosaurus also has better sculpted scales than the Schleich version, oddly, on top of the more movie accurate look.
The Dilophosaurus looks like a fun blend of the JP design and scientific depictions of the 90s to 2010s, the size makes it look like the novel depiction sneaks up on Nedry.
It reminds me of those old fan theories that the animal depicted in the movie would be a juvenile, which is why it was so small, would have been interesting if they went with that as some young sea birds are able to defend themselves with projectile vomiting.
The PNSO Machairoceratops is one of the nicer ceratopsians of that brand, it fits well with the Safari ones in terms of size and colours.
The Haolonggood Quetzalcoatlus is so cool, I just got mine yesterday but haven't taken it out of the box yet, the factory colours are a little unimpressive so I am excited to see Paintingdinos's repaint in your thread.
That huge knockoff theropod is quite something, interesting to see that it even towers over the Vitae Giganotosaurus which was sculpted by the same artist as the original Yangchuanosaurus.
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: Things!!! (3/4/2022)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 5:33 am

As always, just wanted to say that I appreciate the comments, everyone.

Well, I recently sold quite a few Transformers and went on a bit of a spree regarding my main collecting passion. Now, I present the fruits of said spree.

PNSO Centrosaurus
I really don't know what to think of this one. It's alright, but I don't feel like this figure gives me anything that a model a third of the price doesn't. I'm happy to have a Centrosaurus, but there's nothing here that wows me. Not much more to say other than I think I'm going to lay off PNSO for the foreseeable future.

Creative Beast Studio Mononykus
Alvarezsaurs are one of my new favorite dinosaur groups. They're just way too interesting; yet, there aren't many figures of them. Aside from this, I think Mattel is only other company to have tried one, also being Mononykus. Still, I'm just happy to have a representation of these animals, and one done so nicely.

Papo Kaprosuchus
This one was sort of an unexpected surprise. In terms of accuracy, like all Papo, it could use some work, but wow, this one is just a little bit stunning. I would have preferred the boxier head of Safari's, but there is just an undeniable charm to this one that I adore.

CollectA Xenoceratops
Certain future developments have gotten me excited about CollectA's ceratopsians again. While I mostly prefer Safari's ceratopsians to literally all other companies (*cough*PNSO*cough*), the unique species CollectA has made are still worth checking out. I've always been impressed with this one, since black and white are unusual for dinosaur models and this scheme is so striking.

Safari Ltd. Shunosaurus
This figure's face has always been a bit of a turn off for me; those teeth always look a little to cartoony for me. I've come around to it recently, since Sauropod head sculpts are troublesome on a good day. Once I got past that, I could see that this is a really lovely little model. The colors too are just so appealing; nothing flashy, but unique.
With the contemporary Mamenchisaurus.

Safari Ltd. Nigersaurus
This one of those "on again, off again" figures. By that, I mean I've gone through owning it and selling it a few times. These days, I'm just happy to have it again. Again, not the most up-to-date, but still worthwhile as a nice sculpt that mostly gets it.
Showdown at the Elrhaz Formation.

CollectA Therizinosaurus
This figure looked weird to me, but then I remembered Therizinosaurus is just weird and got over it. The colors are a bit blunt and those hips are massive, but I can't say those ruin the figure. While a figure like Papo's is more striking in terms of detail, I find this one to just work nicer as a scientific representation and am happy to have one finally.
Fellow Nemegt Formation species, Mononykus looks up in terror.

Nanmu Apatosaurus
Ok, ok, this one's very exciting in many aspects. For the most part, it's a decently accurate Apatosaurus, being inspired by Sideshow Collectibles' gorgeous statue. I also love the brown colors; nothing gets me quite like a banded tail.
One thing that surprised me, but shouldn't have, was the size. I foolishly forgot that Nanmu, like many companies, doesn't know exactly what 1:35 scale means, since this thing is absolutely huge. It's closer to 1:25 scale than anything, which unfortunately prevents it from joining my Morrison Formation shelf, since it physically does not fit. Still, I was able to take this picture, which I call "Diplodocids of Decreasing Size."
Nanmu figures, being mostly based on the Jurassic Park/World franchise, come with this "to scale" figurines of humans from the films. The Apatosaurus is supposed to come with Dr. Wu, but, inexplicably I got Dennis Nedry, who comes with the Sinoceratops. It even came with the replacement ball joint for the Sinoceratops' neck. Hey, I'm not complaining; anyone who knows me knows I love and try to emulate Nedry, so I'm happy I didn't have to buy that other figure just to get him.
100/10

Little Critterz Augustynolophus
Finally, and most excitingly, my beloved state dinosaur, the Augustynolophus has joined the collection! Thanks to Capitol Books and Little Critterz, makers of many a porcelain figurine, I now own a small version of this species (plus a cool sticker and keychain).
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 10:09 am

Incredible new models, amazing detail, I could spend hours looking at them! cheers
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 3:36 pm

Shocked how I didn't know that little Critterz was making non porcelain models! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 5:56 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 11:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I believe Little Critterz only makes the figurine, I don't know who makes the magnet and sticker. I imagine the site I bought it from, Capitol Books, commissioned them both from Polar, the company listed on the sticker.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thanks!
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 11:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I believe Little Critterz only makes the figurine, I imagine the site I bought it from, Capitol Books, commissioned them both from Polar, the company listed on the sticker.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 7:37 pm

The Creative Beast Studio style is a bit too much articulated for my taste but I have to admit that this charming Mononykus broke my heart, it is very special drunken

Papo Kapro and Safari Ltd Nigersaurus are on my "love for ever" list, I don't care about inaccuracies for these ones, they are just so fantastic, magical toys cheers

The Shunosaurus is fine too but the look of the dentures has always kept me from taking out my wallet.

I thought about buying the Therizinosaurus from CollectA, and then, in the end, I fell for the Papo despite its tiny claws.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 8:43 pm

What a stunning Apatosaurus! I absolutely love Nanmu's figures. I really want to get their baronyx pair but those are quite expensive What a Face although I hear they are making a new JP3 spinosaurus on a base with the crashed airplane, I certainly would LOVE to get that!

Big congrats!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 2:39 am

What an awesome haul! cheers
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 7:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] definitely agree with you on the articulation. While I love action figures, I tend to like my main display to be of figurines, but there aren't many options for Mononykus, so I'll take it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Those Baryonyx are neat, for sure. I'm not a big fan of the new movies, but definitely thought that design was one of the best to come out of them. Plus, I'm always a big a fan of figures resting.

Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 9:52 pm

Well, spring break has just kicked off and I wanted to take the time to update my displays. The focus of the past day or so has been a few shelves I've deemed "problematic." Usually because they are either too full, or don't utilize the space efficiently. So, after messing with them until I got them to look somewhat nicer, I wanted to run them by you guys and see what you all think.

To start off, here's the first Jurassic shelf. This one suffers from two very big problems, the ultimate consumers of shelf space, sauropods. Trying to reconfigure these figures made me lose any sympathy for those who pine for the days of giant Carnegie-sized sauropods.

It was these two shelves that really got things going. Particularly, the second one, as it was ruled by a tyranny of extremely long (everybody say it with me) sauropods. That, and my current love affair with the Elrhaz Formation of Niger has made things sort of cramped. Looking at my database for any justification to move things around, I saw that the early Cretaceous North American species on the first shelf were actually 10-15 million years younger than some of the species on the shelf that was supposed to be chronologically later.
While neither is exactly perfect (that damn Bajadasaurus is just a nightmare to display), I think I have them in a nice enough spot. I'm also happy to have cleared enough plausible space on the second shelf for a certain upcoming large sauropod from South America.
The (mostly) Dinosaur Park Formation shelf has received a few additions since I last shared it, and has this been shuffled around a bit. I also move the Kaiyodo Parasaurolophus to another shelf, as that species is not from Canada.

The last two I'm showing have been updated, but are still something of a sore point. I'm probably being nitpicky, but I feel like, as they are now, they are both too crowded and too spacious in places. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 10:33 pm

I like these shelves with lights. Because this helps to have very beautiful photos.

Idea Idea

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 11:11 pm

My spring break just started too and I'm excited to also get some work done on my own displays cheers

I admit that I am not very knowledgeable about where these species live or the time periods they belong to (my prehistoric figures are all displayed together) so I'll just comment on the spacing of the figures on their respective shelves.

For the first Jurassic shelf with the large sauropods I would suggest maybe taking out the raised platform in the back so that the 2 sauropods can be centered in the back. I think that might balance it out more, then place some of the taller dinos right in front with the smallest in the foreground. Not sure if it would look better but I think the raised platform is throwing off balance and I don't personally think its too crowded.

For the shelf afterwards would the bajadasaurus possibly fit on the raised platform in the back if you centered it? Then maybe you could put the Beiplasosaurus and Yutyrannus? where the bajadasaurus was?

The last 4 honestly look great to me and maybe even have space for more.

These are just my opinions though so feel free to do what you like, I typically cram a lot in my displays Rolling Eyes

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 12:18 pm

Wonderful shelf shuffle! Very Happy It looks beautiful to me! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)
Page 12 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next