Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!

Go down 
+2
landrover
Birdsage
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! Empty
PostSubject: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 2:45 am

I have surveyed WorthPoint for historical sales of PV figures on eBay, and I found from 3 sellers, that the species of the oryx from the African Ungulates set is not, in fact, a Gemsbok like ToyAnimal.info says, but is marked as “BEISA ORYX”, or the East African Oryx.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As the species are virtually identical and can only be told apart by range and genetic differences ,there is no argument for this to be a misnamed figure, unless the two species are one and the same, which they were previously—and sometimes still are—considered to be (the figure was probably made when the 2 species were commonly lumped, and the figure would’ve supposedly been representing a subspecies of the Gemsbok.) But the Wiki currently considers them to be distinct (see the entries for the Lineol  and Starlux oryxes.) The person either didn’t check the molding on the belly of the figure shown on the entry, or they were one of the members that currently consider the species to be subspecies of the same Gemsbok species. As collectors are generally meticulous enough to inspect the markings of a figure, I suspect the latter. For consistency, please either move this to East African Oryx or, if you prefer the older taxonomy, move the Lineol and Starlux oryxes into Gemsbok and delete the East African Oryx page.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 am

Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 am

Confirmed! That’s a Beisa/East African Oryx.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 am

Fernando, you have ANOTHER real gem! Excellent model and photos, thank you for sharing and confirming!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 am

The job is done, Beisa oryx don't have black markings on the hindlegs, where was my mind ?
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 am

Birdsage wrote:
As the species are virtually identical and can only be told apart by range and genetic difference

Actually they have differences too. Beisa oryx have a much thinner black line in the lower part of the flank and lacks a black band in the hind leg. While gemsbok have a much wider black band in the flank and this band continues throught the hind leg. Also, the frontal black mark is usually connected with lateral black marks in the face in Gembsok, but not in Beisa oryx.

So as you can see, the play visions oryx matches with Beisa oryx phisically much more than with Gemsbok.

I'm not sure however if these differences are always consistent.

Here an image for comparison of the 4 species:

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 3:42 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Birdsage wrote:
As the species are virtually identical and can only be told apart by range and genetic difference

Actually they have differences too. Beisa oryx have a much thinner black line in the lower part of the flank and lacks a black band in the hind leg. While gemsbok have a much wider black band in the flank and this band continues throught the hind leg. Also, the frontal black mark is usually connected with lateral black marks in the face in Gembsok, but not in Beisa oryx.

So as you can see, the play visions oryx matches with Beisa oryx phisically much more than with Gemsbok.

I'm not sure however if these differences are always consistent.

Here an image for comparison of the 4 species:

Hey! I thought at first that you might’ve considered them the same species. Apparently you do! I in fact also thought that it looked just a little more like the East African Oryx than the Gemsbok. This is probably why!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am

Birdsage wrote:
Hey! I thought at first that you might’ve considered them the same species. Apparently you do!

Not sure of what you mean. I consider them as different species, but certainly I've considered them as the same species in the far past (like general scientific community did also before splitting them). It's one of the rare cases when splitting a species, after a solid argumentation with those that wanted me to consider these animals as two species, seems reasonable and logic for me. Maybe you say this because you saw some of my old post where I talk about considering both as the same species.

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 pm

No. I just thought that because you don’t split many species (at least those that have been split recently)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 11:12 pm

I only accept spilt (or lump) in the cases that I consider reasonable. Most of them aren't, but this one is :)

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 11:27 pm

Ok.
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 am

I didn't realize that this wasn't universal knowledge. I had the set at one time (I no longer do), and have it listed in my personal database as Beisa Oryx, as it was marked.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
https://animaltoyforum.com/faunafigures/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!   STOP PRESS!  PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED! Empty

Back to top Go down

STOP PRESS! PV ORYX SPECIES CONFIRMED!
Page 1 of 1