Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25

Go down 
+34
Balaenoptera
rogerpgvg
Taos
Kikimalou
Joliezac
sunny
Jill
Roger
Caracal
widukind
Saien
Mitsukuni
MartinH
75senta75
Chris Sweetman
Shanti
SUSANNE
George
Loon
Birdsage
costicuba
Duck-Anch-Amun
spacelab
Stripedhyena
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Farm collector
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
A-J
Advicot
Bonnie
Ana
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 12:18 am

I enjoy seeing these less known brands from Latin countries having some protagonism on forum. We still have a lot to learn about them and I think that's an exciting part of this hobby.
The fact that most of them are less realistic than ordinary major brand figures also is a point of interest since I really love to see different designs.
I like a lot that condor but the tapir design is so rhinoceros inspired that we can almost think it is a common ancestral between tapirs and rhinos.
Andreas is right, it looks the chameleon was inspired after a skeleton draw what impresses a lot, those lizards are like ambulant skeletons with helmets but not as extreme. I am not judging the designs in a depreciative way, it is the oposite, there's an expression of a very personal view from the artist onto the final sculpt and it gives a strong identity to each model.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 am

Wonderful trip through the lost continent of disapeared brands! cheers cheers drunken
I particulary love the Tapir, the Condor, the Chameleon, the Muskox, the giant turtle and that so wonderful crocodile! I love you
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 1:51 am

O. M. G. affraid

Christophe, these models are fabulous cheers

A fun thing is that I have a seriously damaged lion like this, but it is a composition model Laughing
I have put it somewhere safe, - so safe that now I can't find it geek Embarassed

Ohh, that condor ! That musk ox, that tapir, that ...well, all of them cheers

We are very lucky that you got this "Fortnight of vintage".
I just hope the fortnight will extend to a loooong period Wink

With your magnificent pictures it is almost like seing them in real Applause Very Happy flower

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 2:06 am

Amazing new additions, and so interesting to see all these vintage models! Very Happy All of them I had never seen before, so it was lovely to be introduced to all these animals from across the globe! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 2:32 am

Always great to take a trip back in time with your figures. They don't need to be realistic to be excellent models. I think of it like art: abstract art can often express our emotions better than realistic art. 

The musk ox is great, you can see that he is being battered by the cold wind. The Chialu models are very well done. The condor is especially good of course, but the lion and the bear too are very good too.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 2:36 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
I think of it like art: abstract art can often express our emotions better than realistic art. .....

You are so right ! Just look at the Orangutan, - huge, powerful, furry and dangerous affraid

Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 05, 2022 11:04 am

Than muskox looks awesome!! Congratulations to these great additions!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 am

Stunning additions,I love the Condor,Tapir and Musk Ox.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 4:54 am

Thank you everybody for looking and commenting, apologise I didn't answer you (I thought I did it... scratch Getting older Rolling Eyes )
Andreas and Rogerio, the Chameleon isn't so skinny, the odd painting helped a lot to weight watchered the poor guy. The green version seems more healthy Wink

Rogério, You know how much I love discovering brands and toys from everywhere so also of Latin countries of course, European or American.

Yes Alain, the Tapir, the Condor, the Chameleon, the Muskox, the giant turtle and that so wonderful crocodile are really nice Very Happy

Thank you Susanne, I'm always happy when you are a bit happy because of me Very Happy

Thank you Lillia for your kind words, I hope you will enjoy my february newcomers too Very Happy

Roger, I agree with you about art and I think it is the same for our collections, the "better" models aren't necessarily the "most" realistics. Actually I prefer the models which brings more soul, more joy and happiness, this is the magic of toys. sunny

Susanne, the Orangutan is angry because he is hungry and someone hide his chocolate somewhere in the jungle Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Thank you Shanti and taylor for the musckox and friends Very Happy

So what happened on my shelves in February?
With the help of Paige in the USA and Yvette in Germany I was able to collect some nice animals to fill my poor jungle.

Once again, I'm taking you on my time and space machine.

Our trip will start a little less than 900km from my home. Not very far would you say... Not too close either, we are in 1860, Lincoln becomes president of the USA and a small zebra with a string tail is born in the Metalliferes Mountains of eastern Germany. Product of an artisanal manufacture, as additional income for a family of miners or peasants, it will see the birth of a certain number of little brothers until the end of the 19th century. Like all herbivores, it has its predator: A string-tailed lion too.

I was lucky enough to come across a lot of old toys with a little okapi who caught my eye, I didn't know yet what gold nuggets I had come across. My ignorance is now a little less extensive, thanks to the knowledge and kindness of the fairy Yvette and Ulrich Raue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And now let's go to Vienna in 1900, two years earlier, Emil Pfeiffer founded his company and created the first industrial figurines in composition. In 1900, the first such animals were produced. I have already shown you some models that I had obtained miraculously just before Christmas. This time it's the polar bear who joins the gang.

Pfeiffer 1900 Polar bear

The series of "1900" will be maintained until the First World War.
Pfeiffer will then release a new series with figurines that will become legendary such as the Cassowary, the Marabout, the Sloth or the Jackal tongue . Besides that, more mainstream animals such as lions, leopards, zebras, rhinos and others will suffer a drop in quality, the figurines will be coarser and less well painted than those of the 1900s.

Here then, in the "1914" series, the Pfeiffer Llama, Bactrian camel, Lioness and Elephant calf. I never thought the Lioness would join my collection, she is not exactly my cup tea but she has a way to look into my eyes maliciously asking, do you want to be my friend… I can’t resist ! What a Face

From the ”1914” series and the Miniature series  Santa Yvette sent me two wonderful gifts, the classic Giraffe and the Miniature walking Monkey.

It’s time to leave Europe for a while and travel to USA and Japan. We are now between the 30’s and 50’s. A new material is used, Celluloid, the first plastic. Here are some, one American, one Japanese and two unidentified.

American Doll Company Brown bear

”Matsuya” Bactrian camel

Unknown celluloid Elephant and Indian rhino

Here we are back in Europe, after WWII, in Mengersgereuth-Hämmern in the Effelder valley at the southern end of the Thuringian mountains. In what will be the DDR, a cooperative is set up to bring together all toy productions in the city and surrounding areas. PGH Effelder will sell figurines in composition until 1960, when the production will be entirely made of plastic.
Recognised for its figurines of barnyard poultry, cowboys, Indians and native Africans, the cooperative has also produced lesser-known wild animal toys.
This is the case with this Okapi, I bought a whole lot described above because of this one. I've loved this animal ever since, when I was young, I met some at the Antwerp zoo. When I saw this completely unknown figure, my crazy macaque instinct made me jump on it without asking for my rest.
He's missing the tip of his tail and a bit of paint on one leg but I find him quite irresistible.

Still from the DDR, I dug up an imposing (impossible ?) Indian rhinoceros in composition or paper mache. I had never seen such a figurine and I always have an appetite for Indian rhinos bounce

Still after the war, we left the continent for the UK. I came across a batch of Wend-Al aluminum figurines, the price was low and the figurines in new condition, there is even the original label under the lion, I fell for this eagle, the lion, peacock and penguin. In addition, the seller has added a small gift, the white ibex (funny color) in hollow lead from Timpo.

Timpo lead Alpine ibex

Wend-Al Golden eagle, Lion, Peacock and Penguin

After the Channel, it's time for us to cross the Atlantic and join Uncle Sam and the Marxists, Louis tendency!
Marx was certainly the biggest toy manufacturer and seller of the 20th century.
A large part of his production of animal toys was sold unpainted, for a little guy raised in France it was therefore synonymous of bazaar toys (soft plastic, not or badly painted), yes we all have criteria inherited from our ancestors and our environment.

I became interested in Marx a long time ago because the brand had marketed copies of Clairet in the 60s and then I discovered original models, not painted perhaps but magnificent in my eyes, extremely well sculpted and realistic, including a series of wild animals in hollow hard plastic the size of Lineol or current productions. These models are rather expensive so I had only the elephant. finally I was able to get my hands on Marx products produced in Mexico at an affordable price (the anthracite models). I was also able to find the Hippopotamus and the Rhinoceros in the USA. Guess what ? Icing on the cake, the Rhino has the neck saddle of a Javan Rhinoceros, not bad, isn't it?

Marx Hard Plastic Animals

I also find a bunch of Marx endangered animals de 1971. Andreas introduced me to this series a few years ago, but this is the first time they have come to my house. 
Jungle Jim opened a very nice topic about them [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Marx endangered Siberian tiger, Polar bear and Asiatic lion

get back to Germany in the 90’s. The Berlin wall is down and VEB Plaho returns to its original name, Marolin. The firm will continue to produce copies of the Lineol series IV.

I didn't own the Rhino (it's a shame!) and my elephant was a bit decrepit. Here are the new ones! Like new !
The Elephants are Marolin but the Rhino is a VEB Plaho.

By the way, I don’t know why the rhino is on the white rhino page on AW, mine has clearly a black rhino mouth.  

Marolin and VEB Plaho rhino and elephants

The 90s did not only see the destruction of the Berlin Wall, as far as our passion is concerned, it also marked the era of the revolution, when the big brands of Toy soldiers disappeared and young manufacturers of animal toys made their entrance, some have become the "Majors" of today.
One of its brands was Play Visions, in a few years this US firm will succeed in dethroning Starlux on the podium of the "largest number of species in the catalog", a great achievement!
Among all these critters, there is one set that I particularly like, the Salamander bulk. I have a collection of salamanders and other newts very respectable but the VPs were missing at the party. Well, our generous Paige makes me fantastic surprise of giving me three of them (Thank you, Thank you Paige).
An Angel shark decided to make the trip too.

Play Visions Angel shark, Long-tailed, Marbled and Northern red salamanders

Here we are in the 21st century with two Schleich that were missing for my collection, the Psittacosaurus & Moose. The first came from Cyril, a French collector and the Moose from Paige again. 

To end the trip, an escape in 2020 and 2021 to the Land of the Rising Sun with the Eikoh infinity White rhinoceros, the Qualia Deinonychus, Lambeosaurus & Triceratops and the Ikimon Nature of Satoyama set.

Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 5:09 am

Wow, that's some real treasures you got there!! My favorites are the camel and Llama!! Congratulations! Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 6:27 am

What a wonderful excurs. It is interesting to see so very old figures. And to see Marx endangered animals figures again. These are treasures.

But the most important thing for me are the composition from the GDR, especially the Okapi. My childhood was in the GDR and i was often on flea markets. But these figures i never knows and recognice. In the GDR you found not often aniaml figures, and the VEB Plaho had always the same position. So i became my special orientation for species. But i never seen that Okapi or knows the special serie. I hope to find more informations now.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 6:49 am

Some truly fantastic vintage models.I remember having a Hong Kong knockoff models of the Marx Greater Kudu and the Indian rhino when I was a child.I repainted the Greater Kudu.The Japanese models are wonderful also.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 8:58 am

Drooooooool tongue tongue cheers

Christophe, you must have the most  delightful collection in the world cheers

landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 9:53 am

What a nice story, It is veri interesting information about brands and years of those animals.

study  study  study  study  study

The okapi, The Schleich moose, the lama are my favourites.

Big congratulations Applause Applause Applause

Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 9:56 am

The okapi is wonderful (I have no choice but to add it to my list of searches in the "compo" section)... Thank u for this discovery!!!

From time to time there appear figures in compo or mache of which it is difficult to know exactly their origin and age... I have seen many rare figures catalogued as PGH Effelder (sometimes mixed with the LISANTO ones) and, above all, catalogued as PUTZ or included in ERZGEBIRGE.

Last edited by Stripedhyena on Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 10:27 am

So many superb models! Congratulations, and it is wonderful to see the few that passed through my hands in their new home.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 7:45 am

Thank you Shanti Very Happy Fro me, for the Llama and Camel cheers

Thank you Andreas, I was sur you would like that old stuff and especially the okapi, when I saw it the first time I was just hypnotised Shocked Me Want Shocked Me Want Shocked Me Want Shocked Me Want Laughing
I'm sure a lot of old stuff is still unknown and not only from DDR.
Thank you also for the Marx endangered species, I searched them because of your thread a few years ago Wink

Yes Taylor, the Marx Greater kudu and Rhino were copied several time. I'm glad you like the Japanese stuff too. Very Happy

Susanne, it really matters you like my items because your collecting philosophy had a great influence on mine sunny But please don't droool too much Laughing cheers

Thanks Fernando, I will try to do my best to give information about rareor old stuff and I knwo you like to discover rarely or even never seen toys. Wink

I'm very happy I noticed this okapi before you Ricardo Laughing. The seller never said it was a PGH Effelder, I only knew it was made for me❤. I present it here as PGH Effelder after a discussion with Yvette and Ulrich Raue. Of course there is a link between what is called Erzgebirge and Thuringen or Effelder.

Thank you again for your kindness Paige, these models are only here because of you cheers
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 8:26 am

I love you You collection is just beautiful, I am always amazed by the vintage pieces you share! What absolute beauties. I love the Marx hard plastic animals, such fantastic detail. And those Pfeiffer animals, gorgeous, especially the llama and camel! And that okapi really is a treasure, so glad you have him! Such charm in the ones with the string tails, and always so fascinating to learn the histories of these wonderful art pieces. I also do really love the Play Visions as well, those salamanders are excellent, and the Japanese figures are so meticulous and precise. Congratulations on all of these additions, they are really superb.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 8:50 am

Thank you Jill, it matters you like them sunny
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:51 am

I too am glad you found this wonderful okapi... even if it was before me 😂😂😂😂... But this way you add one more search challenge to my list and that's exciting too!
The thing is that these animals that are more like paper mache are very curious because due to their age it is difficult to catalog them accurately...
In any case, it is always very entertaining and useful to read your narratives to present your news!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 10:10 am

Wow that Schleich moose is very nice!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 8:31 am

@Ricardo: Indeed a lot of those old things are full of mysteries and the lack of catalogues with pictures doesn't help. I always asked long time collectors like Ulrich before posting because this is one of the only way to learn something a bit serious and collecting knwoledge is as important as collecting models but you know that of course Very Happy

@Blaine: Indeed it is a very fine model of a not so easy to make animal.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 9:08 am

Lots of great additions again. It took me a while to study them Very Happy. You have a great taste for vintage figures. What are the figures from the Metalliferes Mountains made of? The Pfeiffer polar bear and the unknow okapi, wow! And the unknown celluloid Indian rhino, very artistic! The plastic version of the TIMPO ibex was called a mountain goat, so I think they couldn't make up their mind what species it was. The Marx are very well sculpted.

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am

Christophe, a totally amazing thread. Love the images and the commentary is truly wonderful.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 10:00 am

Thank you Roger and Chris Very Happy

The figure I am showing are made of a composite material molded on a wooden skeletal, they were the ancestors of the XXth century composition animals (massetier made of composite material on a metal wire skeletal) but a lot of Metalliferes Mountains were made of wood.
I agree the 1900 Polar bear and the okapi are real jewels in my collection.

I hope I will be able to post more treasures every months Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25   What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's new on Kikimalou's diplays ? Season 2 ! updated April 25
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next