Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lead Farm Collection

Go down 
+10
75senta75
Bonnie
Jill
widukind
Roger
Taos
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
rogerpgvg
thebritfarmer
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 9:25 pm

Here he is on his own. He is likely to be 100 years old as well.

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 28987810
Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 28993010

Last edited by thebritfarmer on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 pm

So what about the horse that actually came with the plough? It was the field horse #648 or #649. Fortunately I had one so made up the set #142F. This was available post war. Pre-war the set was #6F and had two horses Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 28976610

Now I need to find the Timber carriage and complete that set :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 am

WOW, almost 100 years! It is always impressive how old are some figures. I hope you can find the carriage. Very Happy

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 11:34 am

What an amazing lead farm collection you have! cheers I love these vintage figures, they always give an insight into farming in the past!
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Beautiful old lead figures. They are so expressive and full of personality. Thank you for the great pictures. Here in Germany, these beautiful lead animal figures are rarely offered. drunken

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone, lots more for me to collect from this company. They made so many figures!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:24 pm

The Britains horses with farm equipment are great!

Bonnie wrote:
What an amazing lead farm collection you have! cheers I love these vintage figures, they always give an insight into farming in the past!

That's right, it would be interesting to write a history of farming using the Britains toys. The horse with plough was later replaced with a tractor and plough. Initially, this was a simple plough, but as time passed, it became a more complex plough that could be turned around. Horses pulling a variety of different carts lasted longer in the Britains line-up than the horse with the plough, exactly as in real farming. The first Britains tractors were small, but over the years they became much bigger, reflecting what was happening with tractors on the farm. The farm animals sometimes also reflect an evolution in farming. For example, the earlier Friesian cows had horns whereas the later ones were polled and they were also more muscular.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:28 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:

Bonnie wrote:

That's right, it would be interesting to write a history of farming using the Britains toys. The horse with plough was later replaced with a tractor and plough. Initially, this was a simple plough, but as time passed, it became a more complex plough that could be turned around. Horses pulling a variety of different carts lasted longer in the Britains line-up than the horse with the plough, exactly as in real farming. The first Britains tractors were small, but over the years they became much bigger, reflecting what was happening with tractors on the farm. The farm animals sometimes also reflect an evolution in farming. For example, the earlier Friesian cows had horns whereas the later ones were polled and they were also more muscular.

Thanks Roger. Hmmmm perhaps as I get more implements I can devote a topic to this very thing (assuming their is interest) Britains farm is now 100 years old so lots to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:49 pm

Those little dogs and the 100 year old horse are wonderful, and all those people - such characters! And I love the circus horse, it's very elegant. You really seem to have found some rare pieces for you collection, it's quite a gallery! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Thank you Jill, still lots more to be collected and I have a couple more pieces arriving soon. :)
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

Bonnie wrote:

Thanks Roger. Hmmmm perhaps as I get more implements I can devote a topic to this very thing (assuming their is interest) Britains farm is now 100 years old so lots to choose from.

I'd find it very interesting. I don't collect the Britains farm vehicles, but I played with them a lot when I was a child. I suppose I was always more interested in the animals: There were no human farmers on my farm, the tractor drivers were always animals.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 am

Forgot to add these two.

Cygnet - Britains sold these as a set of four with a Swan.

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29112210

Gosling with beak open. Britains made two goslings (beak open & beak closed) and assigned them the same catalogue number.

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29114310

The swan and the other gosling can be found earlier in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

Bonnie wrote:

I think this is probably the most interesting aspect of this collection. These figures have a remarkable anthropologic value. Sometimes, old Britains models are used in museums and that's the highest point a toy figure can aspire. Wink

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2022 2:14 am

rogerpgvg wrote:

There were no human farmers on my farm, the tractor drivers were always animals.

haha that's very funny Roger!
I too had no humans on my farmscape (I had a huge piece of plywood that I built papier mache hills on for my free roaming animals)

was it the collies driving the tractors ?
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2022 2:14 am

thebritfarmer wrote:
Forgot to add these two.

Cygnet - Britains sold these as a set of four with a Swan.

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29112210

Gosling with beak open. Britains made two goslings (beak open & beak closed) and assigned them the same catalogue number.

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29114310

The swan and the other gosling can be found earlier in this thread.

these two are very lovely!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2022 5:36 pm

sunny wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

There were no human farmers on my farm, the tractor drivers were always animals.

haha that's very funny Roger!
I too had no humans on my farmscape (I had a huge piece of plywood that I built papier mache hills on for my free roaming animals)

was it the collies driving the tractors ?

They could all drive tractors, but the baby chimps were the best because they fitted perfectly on the tractor seat.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2022 2:02 am

Couple more additions arrived today. Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29240210
Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29232810
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2022 2:03 am

and now my highland calf has a Mum :) well the Highlands are listed as steers but let's forget about that :)

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 29240010
steers but let's forget about that :)

Last edited by thebritfarmer on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2022 9:30 am

Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

Bonnie wrote:

I think this is probably the most interesting aspect of this collection. These figures have a remarkable anthropologic value. Sometimes, old Britains models are used in museums and that's the highest point a toy figure can aspire. Wink

I've said before that I love the very dated riding positions of the Britains people on horseback, they sit and handle the reins in such an of-the-era way they're brilliant to see now. Not least because I was taught that way (in the 1990s, but by an old gentleman who trained his own horses to match his teaching), and that's exactly how I sit a horse Laughing I had a modern lesson at a posh riding school once, and had to really, really adapt to this horse who didn't understand me and objected greatly to my attempt at riding it - the instructor told me "Riding changes once a generation, and you're two generations behind". Britains riders are the same era.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 10:03 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:

Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 27833410
Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 27834510

I am finally putting these on TAW and wondered what horses they are. TAW lists a cob, suffolk mare, cart horse, field horse and wild horse. Do you know which ones they are?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 10:18 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Great to see these, thanks for the photos! I'll slowly put them onto TAW (will take some time). TAW lists a Berkshire pig with piglets, but the pig in the first photo is clearly not a Berkshire.

That is the Britains Berkshire pig with piglets. Another case of Britains getting it wrong. I don't think I have ever seen it in a different colour to be honest.

I just found out that the original Berkshires were sometimes spotted:
https://www.berkshirepigs.org.uk/the-club/history-of-berkshire-pigs/
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 11:21 pm

The brown horse is the wild horse #756, the grey one is the walking cob #550.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 9:09 pm

Thanks a lot!

thebritfarmer wrote:
Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 27833311

Is this the farmhand sowing seeds?

TAW says that the bull with flying tail wasn't made after WWII. Can that be right?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 9:20 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 27828911

And which bull is this?
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 pm

The figure is #747 Girl with feeding bucket. The bull is #758 Bullock. The flying tail but was only made prewar after the war the tail was moved down and attached to the leg. The catalogue number stayed the same though. Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 28014511
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lead Farm Collection   Lead Farm Collection - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lead Farm Collection
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next