Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need some Breyer medical advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Need some Breyer medical advice Empty
PostSubject: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 6:31 am

My parents rescued these for me not realizing that they were damaged. They are lovely old sculpts and I hate to just "dispose" of them but I have no idea on where to start to fix or customize them...

This one seems to have been bleached/or has had deliberate paint removal... not sure why? You can see thay the chemical they used ran down from the application sites.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And some drips

Then this poor guy has an ear chip.

Any ideas on material to work with? Is it worth attempting to restore original paint work? Or should they just be custimized? I am at a loss of what to do...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 am

I don't know how to heal them, but I hope you succeed Very Happy

Terrible what they did to that poor racer Sad

George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 10:48 am

You could try restoring the pacer if you like and want to keep his colour, dark bay isn't tooo tricky to match, and although it might not look perfect, he'd be fine for shelf display.
My tips would be give him a thorough wash in a bucket of warm soapy water to get rid of any residue from whatever they've used on him, then use thinly applied acrylic paint to the patches.
The first few layers can be a roughly right dark brown, then pay more attention to the colour-matching of shading on the final layer or two, blending it out gradually onto the original colour at the edges.
As I said on someone else's topic not long ago, any difference in paint shininess can be polished up with a bit of fleece (I mean something you've got anyway, like a blanket, jacket sleeve, dressing gown etc. rather than the actual sheep kind of fleece Laughing )
If it doesn't go well or you struggle to match the paint, you could always just paint him all over anyway; he'll look better than he does now, and he isn't a rare or valuable or sought-after model so it wouldn't be a shame to change him.

For the missing ear tip, I use Milliput but it depends on what's readily available in your country, I never hear anyone outside the UK talking about Milliput in the model horse hobby so I suspect that means it's either not sold elsewhere, or you all have much better/cheaper/easier-to-find alternatives Laughing As long as it's something which sets hard on it's own rather than by baking, some you combine two different materials from the same box and when mixed they set hard, others dry by exposure to air though these are less likely to bond to the model and stay in place.
Once set, you'll have to paint the ear to match the rest, but it looks quite a simple colour to match - an off-white base coat, then a smudge or dry-brush application of colour-matched gingery brown.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 4:25 pm

I found a shop which sells Milliput in Denmark affraid cheers

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 5:12 pm

Aw, congrats on these old guys! cheers Definitely don't throw 'em out, if nothing else you can sell them as bodies or "carpet herd" and make a quick buck if you decide not to work on them yourself. I love that old pacer! A shame he had something so . . . dramatic happened to him.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm

The tragedy with the pacer is he appears to be the original release color from 1967... and someone tried to turn him into a paint??? The palomino I already have an example of so if I keep it it would be for customizing.

Thank you for your comments and input! I will be realsearching and mulling it over for some time before I get brave enough to try anything. Wink

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 pm

It looks like maybe someone was trying to strip the paint from that pacer, maybe with acetone? To customize it, but gave up. I think that color is one of the best he was ever released in, even though it is not a rare coloration or anything. Handsome!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 8:03 pm

You can use for example Apoxie Sculpt for the ear tip restoration. Or Miliput, they are both good and work in a similar way - this kind of clay becomes hard after 2 hours after mixing parts A and B.

And I think the first horse would be a great one to repaint completely Smile
Trying to match the painting style with the factory job is sometimes harder than painting in your own style from the beginning.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some Breyer medical advice   Need some Breyer medical advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some Breyer medical advice
Page 1 of 1