Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
widukind
Kikimalou
Jill
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  Empty
PostSubject: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 8:03 pm

I just got a really exciting couple of boxes from Kelly that I am slowly sorting through, and this peculiarity cropped up! Two Play Visions tropical frogs, both are the Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad, but one of them is labeled as Dyeing Poison Frog. The normal one has the scientific name like the others in the set, but the mislabeled one has the common name. Both are labeled PV 1998. What's going on here?

Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 8:30 pm

PV mislabeled this model indeed, the real species is Boulanger's Asian tree toad (Pedostibes hosii), not Harlequin or Dyeing poison frog. 
Sometimes taht kind of things happen with PV. What a Face
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 8:56 pm

study study study

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 9:03 pm

I didn't even check the accuracy of the scientific name, ha! What do most people's Yellow Spotted Climbing Toads say?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 9:46 pm

Sorry, I do not have any Pv frogs.tongue
And I mean, I am REALLY sorry, because that frog is gorgeous Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 10:10 pm

Those are my personal notes from STS posts.
There are two editions of tropical frogs.
1996 with Latin names
1998 with English common names

This model is number 5
Rentapia hosii is also the best identification in my opinion.

Mislabeling was known but I was not aware of 1998 models with Latin names.

Play Visions sold the same models in several different sets with different amounts of figures. I am not sure it could explain some incongruities.

Fernando's model on TAW, marked 1996 Dendrobates histrionicus

Andreas called the file of his model as PV Deying

Beatrice introduced her model as Play Visions Deying Poison Frog

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 10:16 pm

Thank you, okay, I looked a little closer and the scientific name one is 1996 (that almost looks like an 8 ) and the common name one is 1998, and they match the way other people have described theirs, so looks like I just have one of each and that they were all given the wrong species from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon May 16, 2022 10:28 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Sorry, I do not have any Pv frogs.tongue
And I mean, I am REALLY sorry, because that frog is gorgeous Very Happy
They are really nice! It's a very nice set all around, if inaccurately labeled, haha.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 6:45 am

I have the latin named model in my collection now.

I don't know about the accuracy of the labels per say (frogs easily confuse me in terms of speciation) but I noticed these 3 of mine have alternate stamps and niw realize the one across the chest of the animal is the common name and the ones along the belly are scientific...

The paint work on these duplicates are ever so slightly different also.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 11:19 am

Interesting to see the slight variation between the duplicates - if it was just the paintwork I'd think maybe they'd changed suppliers for their paints and had a little redesign to accommodate the difference in colour or application (I know that happened with at least one horse brand I collect, you can tell exactly which are 'old paint' and 'new paint' models from the finish, even though it was the same one person painting them all!).
But changing the stamping on the mould from Latin to English is a weird choice and couldn't be incidental, someone's decided to do that scratch Laughing

Also it amuses me that the PV frogs are so lovely and anatomically accurate, yet their horses are so adorably wonky and not realistic!

I always wondered if maybe my 'Blimey, that horse is bad' reaction to sculpts in ranges which cover a huge spread of species, was a similar feeling an expert in some other group of animals would be feeling about an animal I thought looked roughly ok. Like, I can recognise a flawed equine anatomy being bungled by a sculptor who doesn't understand what they're looking at, a kind of improvising cos as long as it looks roughly horse shaped it'll sell, right, but would I recognise an equally dubious rendition of a frog, or a rhino, or a fish, and overlook crucial anatomical flaws, cos they're not my area of experience?

But no, I think it's just that some people who sculpt horses really shouldn't have been given that task, and the other animals really are as decent as they seem at first glance, cos I've seen frogs before and this is how they look Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyMon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 pm

You're observing correctly, George. Play Visions has mainly two distinct quality levels. The highest one and the one which defines the company and the lowest one with the Horses & Minis.
A subject that can be seen in both quality levels is domestic cats. Their differenc ein quality is not as obvious as the wild animals.
- Bulk series
- Mini series

There's no horses among their bulk series. Just a set of minis and a set with slightly larger Toy Major models.
Though, there is a horse among their bulk sets. It is a draft horse from the Farm Animals bulk.

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 10:44 pm

Play Visions models were also used, as you remember, by National Geographics brand (remember the National Geographics blister cards and box pictures I provided for TAW?). Those models are marked PV on their belly with their common english names. But I also noticed that the paint jobs often vary from the 1996 original releases and the 1999 National Geographics releases (Serval, Puma, Finless Porpoise). So, this variation in the frogs does not surprise me that much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?    Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Mislabeled Yellow Spotted Climbing Toad?
Page 1 of 1