Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!

Go down 
+16
widukind
Jill
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
landrover
lucky luke
Bonnie
rogerpgvg
Ana
pipsxlch
George
thebritfarmer
SUSANNE
Joliezac
Roger
Taos
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 8:41 am

Thank you Jolie. :) 

A few more from recent additions.
A stand in Megalania from the IC Komodo.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Feathered Trexes and raptor relatives.

Friesians (old Schleich and Safari are very similar in style, left and right respectively)

My old "family" of horses from my first childhood move (where I couldn't find Schleich anymore and only Safari models were available to me) is now complete again.

Some new china puppies and kittens, not marked as WingMau but very very similar... new models on left, old WM on right (some repainted)

The whole group of WM (including originals AND repaints alongside these new china models)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 11:35 am

I enjoy so much to see all those old Safari horses together. We all knew the good old Schleich horses but those Safari remained anonymous for a long time. Good point also about the Frisians, I believe the Schleich model is a Maia & Borges mold.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 6:44 pm

My favourite 'generation' of Safari's Friesian horses is the middle one (top shelf, on the left) - I think that's the peak of the sculpting quality and realism cos it's got so much more crispness and detail than the first version, and a lot better conformation and anatomy than the more recent one.
This comparison is really useful for illustrating how the brand's sculpting has evolved over time, I don't think I've ever seen all three in one photo before!

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 12:05 am

George wrote:
My favourite 'generation' of Safari's Friesian horses is the middle one (top shelf, on the left) - I think that's the peak of the sculpting quality and realism cos it's got so much more crispness and detail than the first version, and a lot better conformation and anatomy than the more recent one.
This comparison is really useful for illustrating how the brand's sculpting has evolved over time, I don't think I've ever seen all three in one photo before!

I agree and the Friesian trio really shows clearly the 3 main waves of Safari standard sized horses. Expanding the initial farm horses, they were able of introducing a horse themed series called Winner's Circle that I believe was not as successful as it deserved since it coincided with the best wave of Schleich horses. I also missed the Safari Lusitano horse so I am guilty too. Laughing 2014 witnessed the last releases of the 2nd wave and only in 2018 Safari released new horses. I am convinced each era corresponds to a different sculptor. I remember reading something about it. If I find the information about the sculptors, I may add it on TAW.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 1:00 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 1:22 am

Roger wrote:
George wrote:

I agree and the Friesian trio really shows clearly the 3 main waves of Safari standard sized horses. Expanding the initial farm horses, they were able of introducing a horse themed series called Winner's Circle that I believe was not as successful as it deserved since it coincided with the best wave of Schleich horses. I also missed the Safari Lusitano horse so I am guilty too. Laughing 2014 witnessed the last releases of the 2nd wave and only in 2018 Safari released new horses. I am convinced each era corresponds to a different sculptor. I remember reading something about it. If I find the information about the sculptors, I may add it on TAW.

The Safari horses were very popular with collectors here in the UK, as that was the first time the brand had been available to us from a British stockist, and we loved the sculpts - they were adopted with enthusiam by hobbyists who were also into the toy side (and not purely Breyer/Stone/resin) for a couple of years there it seemed everyone was buying, customising, and showing Safari. Then the revamped CollectA horse range came along, and we loved those too. It was such a revelation to have small cheapish plastic horses which weren't Schleich!

That great 'middle' batch which fell between the farm horses and the current ones were sculpted by Jane Lunger, best known for her G3 (and some more recent) Breyer Stablemates. I'm afraid I don't know any names for the earlier or later sculptors, though.

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 3:23 am

Thank you everyone!

About the horses... I like them all just fine. Wink But my favorite sculpts range from the group shown here to the generation of the mid range friesian. The latter of which had some really lovely horses. The manes and posture of several remind me of carousel horses. (Lusitano, andalusian, friesian etc.)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 am

George wrote:
Roger wrote:
George wrote:

The Safari horses were very popular with collectors here in the UK, as that was the first time the brand had been available to us from a British stockist, and we loved the sculpts - they were adopted with enthusiam by hobbyists who were also into the toy side (and not purely Breyer/Stone/resin) for a couple of years there it seemed everyone was buying, customising, and showing Safari. Then the revamped CollectA horse range came along, and we loved those too. It was such a revelation to have small cheapish plastic horses which weren't Schleich!

That great 'middle' batch which fell between the farm horses and the current ones were sculpted by Jane Lunger, best known for her G3 (and some more recent) Breyer Stablemates. I'm afraid I don't know any names for the earlier or later sculptors, though.

Thanks, now that you mention Jane Lunger I remembered we mentioned it on forum a long time ago and at the time I pointed the Frisian and the Morgan as my favorite sculpts from that wave. I will mention it on TAW because I really can't remember everything. Laughing
I was never an active part on horse themed foruns, so my idea is probably narrowed to my personal experience on STS and when the forum started, it was too much all around Schleich. Only the CollectA models sculpted by Deborah gained some protagonism later. Actually it makes me happy to know that Safari horses were appreciated among horse collectors. When I try to check on auction websites in Portugal and Spain, I rarely find a Safari horse for sale and I find thousands of Schleich. Laughing

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2022 12:17 pm

martinmtrevino wrote:

Not quite sure what this has to do with the topic?
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2022 12:22 pm

It's a spam post lol. Somebody associated with or being paid by the operators of that website.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2022 10:33 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:

pipsxlch wrote:
It's a spam post lol. Somebody associated with or being paid by the operators of that website.

Thanks for noticing it, you always can report me through pm because I can't see every single post as soon as it is posted.
A relatively soft spotted spam but defintely spam and I deleted the post.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2022 1:07 am

Great comparisons again!I love the older Safari horses as I remember getting them when I went to the USA for the first time and thinking how great they were and still are!!

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2022 2:21 am

Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:

pipsxlch wrote:

Thanks for noticing it, you always can report me through pm because I can't see every single post as soon as it is posted.

Thanks! I will remember that for next time. I was looking for a report button, another forum I moderate on has one.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2022 8:53 am

thebritfarmer wrote:
Roger wrote:
thebritfarmer wrote:

pipsxlch wrote:

Thanks! I will remember that for next time. I was looking for a report button, another forum I moderate on has one.

We disabled the report system. We are a small community and these things rarely happen so it is enough to report through message or just posting as you did.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 11:29 am

Update! Now that my collection is 90% resorted and accessible again, I was planning on reviving this thread. 

Over the last 8 months I have gotten tons of requests for comparisons of X with Y or walkarounds of models. My brain from 9 months ago would have been able to remember most of these requests and complete them when I could. But my brain now doesn't function quite as well and I have forgotten specifics of things. So, if you want to see some walkarounds or comparisons of models please re-request them here! I am excited to begin contributing to this community more again and get back into my beloved hobby more than just crossing things off my wishlist. Very Happy

I remember Kiki asked for walkarounds of my AAA hermit crab and AAA bat... any others?...

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 10:08 am

I am still open to suggestions/requests if anyone needs a comparison. :)

Just a few photos will be presented here before being uploaded to my website The Curious Compendium.

Striped Hyenas, I was SO excited complete my ChapMei Trio! My first is made of more enjoyable plastic, the 2 new models are more rigid and shiny/less realistic looking.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 10:56 am

There are lots of variations of Chap Mei figures, material, colors and even engines when it is the case of battery animated figures. Congratulations for completing your trio of hyenas,

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 12:33 pm

Thank you Roger! That is what I wondered... I may be wrong, but the furthest left Chap Mei to me appears to be the oldest and highest quality, more like the big brands material. The recent two (middle and right most) are harder plastic with a sheen to the finish, more "disposable toy" type of concept. Each one is well made and sturdy and detailed, just a different finish quality and material.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 6:17 pm

I just found this great thread and I love it. Very Happy
You started it at a time when my eyes kept me away from screens, so many good things to catch up on now.
What is the model below the IC "Megalania" ?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2023 1:00 am

The Chap Mei hyenas looks better and better to me

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 am

Thank you Kiki and Andreas.

Kiki, I think you mean the other lizard? It is a "megalania" I customized from a cheap chinamal toy. I took more interesting pattern interpretation for it. :)

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 am

the Chap Meï trio is frightening! affraid
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 12:50 am

Very cool-looking trio, congrats! cheers
Are they somewhat inspired by The Lion King trio of hyenas?

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 7:38 am

Yes, indeed the Chap Mei's are very scary. Nice to have a trio.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 11:22 pm

Wonderful striped hyenas, I love the Chap Mei trio and I think the model at the back, I think by CollectA, so beautifully made and amazing level of realism! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!   Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Collected Comparisons. African buffalo and orangutans!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next