Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Requesting opinions - Hyena

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eternity

eternity

Country/State : US

Requesting opinions - Hyena Empty
PostSubject: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 11:32 am

So I've been working on this hyena for a few days now and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to tell if it looks like a hyena.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(I haven't added paws yet)
Like I kinda think the legs are too skinny but I'm worried if I do anything to them he might not be able to stand anymore?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Let me first say I am not an expert on hyenas and even less of an expert on sculpting, so I may be completely wrong. But because you ask for an opinion ...

The head and body look great, very beautifully done. My impression is that the right front leg is a bit too long (imagine it was straight) and the left leg too short. Perhaps they are also a little bit thin, but that doesn't strike me most. It definitely looks like a hyena!

eternity

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 4:03 pm

Yeah, I'll try to adjust that when I add paws; I don't really know how that happened since in the wire skeleton I made sure that all the limbs were the same length. Thank you very much for your feedback!
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 5:39 pm

Wow, way better than anything I could ever sculpt! Such talent. I do think though the tail is too thick and too long. I am assuming you are modelling a Spotted Hyena?
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 pm

From the style I assume that it is a fantasy figure (like the horse in the background), right? If so, then you can allow yourself all the licenses you want, of course.
But if the intention is to make a realistic figure you would have to adjust the proportions, it reminds me of a maned wolf.
Back to top Go down
eternity

eternity

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 6:44 pm

It is supposed to be a spotted hyena, yes, albeit a slightly cartoonish one. Based on [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This drawing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I've tried to adjust the proportions a little
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Oh wow !! that looks really good, bringing a drawing to life :)
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 10:56 pm

As someone who can't sculpt, bravo for a great interpretation of the illustration!

But if you're asking what to make it seem more hyenaish... love the head and neck, agree with Roger on the legs, but what strikes me is the body is small and not bulky enough, and the tail looks like a dog's not a hyena's. This makes it sound like I find your sculpt off, but really I do like it! The head/neck/ears are the most important parts in a way, and you nailed them.

Looking again, I think if you change the position of the elbow on the right fore leg, it would help a great deal.
Also the illustration has a dog's tail, so you are actually correct in your interpretation.
Back to top Go down
eternity

eternity

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyThu Aug 11, 2022 10:01 am

The thing is, when I look up photos of hyenas for reference I feel like I get about fifty different body types; so I end up mixing and matching the proportions that seem most 'hyena-ish' to me
I do think he might be too skinny, though.
Back to top Go down
eternity

eternity

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena EmptyThu Aug 11, 2022 1:43 pm

I've added a bit more padding to his stoumach; and with that I think I'll call it quits. I have officially exhausted myself on this hyena.
Tune in next week to watch me have a panic attack about how to scult an Irish cob!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Requesting opinions - Hyena   Requesting opinions - Hyena Empty

Back to top Go down

Requesting opinions - Hyena
Page 1 of 1