Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?

Go down 
+2
George
Jill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  Empty
PostSubject: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptySat Sep 24, 2022 5:25 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this topic, since it seems to cover several major brands and I am comparing them to the real figures, I guess. I was looking through this year's ornament selection and saw that Christmas in Prescott offers multiple wildlife ornament that seem to be duplicates of familiar figures. I don't own any of these figures myself, so I couldn't compare closely . . . are these officially licensed? "Borrowed"? scratch Most seem to be Safari molds, but I think there are a few others as well. I only linked a few, but there are a bunch!! I didn't even look through all the categories. It feels a little sketchy because no brand is mentioned by name in any description, and some of them look like the models just with ornament hooks stuck in them . . . I have shopped this site in the past and I don't remember ever seeing this. Anybody know the story?

Sorry for no screenshots, I can't do that on my work computer and I noticed this at my lunch break.  Laughing

Here is the site

Maned Wolf

Black Panther

Ferret

Okapi

Cheetah

Leopard

Clouded Leopard

Serval

Zebra foal

Aardvark

Cobra

Boa constrictor

Alligator

Collard Lizard

Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptySat Sep 24, 2022 6:04 pm

I see the Mojo Fun donkey and welsh pony on there, might it be worth emailing Mojo to ask? I suggest them as I know they have really great customer service and interaction, so you're more likely to hear back than if you email a bigger company without that reputation for being friendly and chatty Laughing

Having said that, I admit I don't have a clue what this Christmas in Prescott even is - is Prescott a chain store which has a christmas department this time of year? Or are they a company selling only christmas stuff, all year round? Or an online shop? I'm from the wrong country to answer this topic, I think Laughing

But yeah, I'd suggest trying Mojo to find out if they know and/or are ok with it. And if they're not officially allowing these sales, I'd guess none of the other brands you've recognised would be, either. Maybe just say you've seen their products being sold this way and don't know if it's legit or not -
genuine collectors are always keen to support favourite companies and avoid anything dishonest or dodgy, and Mojo know their fanbase better than most, so they'd understand why we'd be concerned about this sort of thing and not think we were being weird or annoying by asking the question, haha Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptySat Sep 24, 2022 7:59 pm

I have seen sculpts at Hobby Lobby using moulds from other brands, most often Papo from my recollection. But these look just like the toys themselves with an eyelet and hanging string...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptySat Sep 24, 2022 11:51 pm

It is very intriguing. Most of those pieces are really easily identifiable and from so many different brands, it is hard to believe in a cooperation or formal agreement. I could give many examples but the Safari maned wolf, for instance, is a too much obvious example. There are a few also I can't link to a known brand which also represent realistic replicas.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptySun Sep 25, 2022 4:35 pm

George wrote:

Having said that, I admit I don't have a clue what this Christmas in Prescott even is - is Prescott a chain store which has a christmas department this time of year? Or are they a company selling only christmas stuff, all year round? Or an online shop? I'm from the wrong country to answer this topic, I think Laughing
I think it's just a wholesale Christmas store that started in a brick and mortar somewhere called Prescott! I think they are buying large quantities from other suppliers, so who knows who is producing the pirated animal figure ornaments.

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I have seen sculpts at Hobby Lobby using moulds from other brands, most often Papo from my recollection. But these look just like the toys themselves with an eyelet and hanging string...
That's what I thought, too. Just looks like they purchased a bunch of the figures and turned them into ornaments, no other steps involved.

I look into emailing someone about it . . .
Back to top Go down
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 11:52 am

I have polar bear ornaments modeled after the Schleich 14357 Polar Bear Female
The material feels a bit chalky and the model is quite heavy. The little ring is not quite in the middel, so the ornament hangs not level.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here it is on the right hand side, in my glorious christmas bear ornaments chandelier, 2019
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 12:13 pm

Not too much on that kind of ornaments but, on the other side, your chandelier is really awesome cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 12:28 pm

It is always very interesting. Though, the fact they use heavy material and the ring in a wrong placement, shows that probably this kind of products was not their main business.
I might be wrong but the Schleich 14357 is probably the most common polar bear figure of this hobby. The model which replaced it was not so popular, I guess.

PostSubject: Re: Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?    Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ornaments modeled after major brand figures?
Page 1 of 1