Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A trip to the circus!

Go down 
+4
Taos
Roger
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

A trip to the circus!  Empty
PostSubject: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 7:48 am

So my Mom got a great chance to go visit my sister's family in Maine before they move back out West in a few months. She really needed the trip away and got to get some good rest away from our commotion. Anyway, while out and about there she came across this neat RR (Railroad) display with a visiting circus at the Portland mall. They aren't the greatest photos but... You can still make out some of the older animal models in the train carriages, and I think several of the duplicates (like the elephants) are slightly remodeled. I was very excited to see such a display, even though the circus concept is very frowned upon in modern society. I thought this was an exciting way to present these toys anyway. Enjoy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 11:52 am

These displays are wonderful, so much colour and life! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Curiously Portugal is in a transition for a new law where wild animals are completely forbidden in circuses. It has been widely accepted and currently only a single animal is being used, namely a white tiger which will be retired before the new law.
I really love these old displays acting as a memorial of the old times. They're really beautiful and culturally relevant regardless of our personal opinions about the portraied subject.
I hope your Mother finds some peaceful days and recovers her joy and thanks for sharing these interesting pictures. flower

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 3:39 pm

Fantastic display!!!!!and a reminder of bygone days and different attitudes to animals in capitvity.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Interesting, especially the animal figures. Is it a brand for figures?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm

Thank you very much for sharing! It's adorable when moms send this kind of photos thinking about their son’s hobby!  I love you
The truth is that I think most of the animals are from major brands or 80's figures. I think I see something from Schleich, Safari, Jasman...
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 2:44 am

I'm glad your mom got to make the trip, hope she's finding some peace... but my initial reaction was OMG! Maine Mall! My first job was at a pet shop there! Pet Menagerie, probably long gone. I'm trying to picture where the display was, perhaps in the middle of the main wing where there's a three way branching sort of.
The display looks lovingly curated, circuses may be frowned on now but they are a part of our history. Model railroading seems to often focus on past vignettes.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 7:29 am

What a small world Kelly! She isn't familiar enough with the area to ascertain exactly where it was located, but yes I was very pleased that when she saw it, she took and then sent me some photos. Very Happy Its a fun fanciful display. I have no idea on branding or scales etc. for everything you can see there, but obviously not all the people are the same scale. Lots of Schleich from earlier days (mid to late "golden age" is how I would describe them. Similar stage safari, you can see some Jasman baboons, even some AAA (baby porcupine) in one of the train carriages. I will see if I can get some decent quality cropped images to see the animals better later this week... Thanks again everyone, I am glad we all can enjoy it so!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 8:44 am

I hope this getaway brought joy and human warmth to your mom. sunny
It's a very nice exhibition, full of magic and childhood memories.
For my part, I have nothing against locking up plastic animals, I do it all the time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A trip to the circus!    A trip to the circus!  Empty

Back to top Go down

A trip to the circus!
Page 1 of 1