Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Breyer flockie at a thrift shop

Go down 
+6
Roger
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
sunny
pipsxlch
Jill
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Breyer flockie at a thrift shop Empty
PostSubject: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 6:16 pm

So I've been at the beach all week ( cheers ) and while I was there, we took a day to go thrift shopping, since that area has way more than we have here at home. I didn't find much in the way of figures, but I did find this girl: the 1984 JCPenny holiday special run, the flocked palomino running mare. This is exciting not because I have ever been very partial to "flockies" but because they are such collectable pieces, pretty rare (though this one I think might be the more common of them) and not something I ever expected to have in my collection. Most exciting of all? 75 cents!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

She originally came with a matching foal, which wasn't there. Flockies are interesting because the textured coat and hair is meant I guess to be more realistic, when in fact the end result is considerably less so, I think. As I said, I've never been partial to them in general (for one thing, I usually can't stand touching flocked toys--either Breyer has a slightly different textured flocking or this one is worn down enough that it doesn't bother me too much). I think they look more like a stuffed animal than a realistic figure. However, I am over the moon to have this very collectable figure for such an incredible price. My vintage-prone heart loves including this piece of Breyer history.

You can see she is not in very excellent condition. Lots of rubs, and her flocking as mentioned is pretty worn down and thin. I am not sure how thick it is to begin with (I've never seen one in real life before!). She probably wouldn't fetch a ton on the market, even though mint condition flockies can go for a few hundred dollars. But she will be staying in my collection forever anyway, so that hardly matters. Considering how she was clearly played with, but still kept without breaks and very clean, I wonder if she was well loved by a child who then kept her for almost forty years . . . and for some reason, she then came to a thrift shop. I'm happy to give her a new "forever home" anyway. My main concern is that I have no shelf left to put her on! Laughing

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 pm

Wow, cool! I'd never heard of the Breyers flockies before. I would have been in high school when she came out, but I still had my Breyers. I don't remember ever seeing the JCPenney models back then, and wouldn't have paid much attention to these as I never liked flocking either. Very interesting!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 8:45 pm

Jill wrote:

oh she is so beautiful!
I love flocks Wink I find them so charming. Half real, half not real.

It's interesting to see the black plastic around the eye area, that has been exposed by the worn away flocking. And on the nose it's the opposite - white plastic under the worn flocking.
There is a lot of black around the eye area. It makes the eyes so large and pretty, and even the worn away sections create an illusion of a soft and gentle eye.

Congratulations Jill! and even more so at such a bargain of a price Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 pm

Not partial to flocking myself either but what a great find! I didn't even know Breyer dabbled in such a thing. Congrats!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 2:38 am

Quite a find! I didn't know Breyer made flocked horses. I agree she has a very beautiful face.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 am

The destiny of this horse was to be rescued even if its condition do not put it into the hundred dollars team.
0,75 for such a joy is a pure bargain.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 11:20 am

A wonderful find, and I'm sure the original owner who loved this horse so well the flock rubbed off would've been pleased to know she ended up with a collector who'll provide a permanent home and care for her now she's old.

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 2:32 pm

Great addition,congrats!!!!

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 5:59 pm

Thank you everyone! She's quite a unique piece of the collection now.

The black showing through around the eye and hoof suggest those areas were just painted with a big blob of black, and then flocked over to cover the excess. Not very careful paint job underneath!

sunny wrote:

I love flocks Wink  I find them so charming. Half real, half not real.
I thought of you, actually, when I found her. Laughing I remember all your flockies! Many of them really are beautiful, they convinced me it can in fact look really nice.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyWed Jan 25, 2023 7:23 pm

ah that is wonderful to hear Jill:)

once the flock is all off, it's just a naked plastic figure anyway Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyFri Jan 27, 2023 5:25 am

What a great find!!! Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop EmptyFri Jan 27, 2023 4:20 pm

Very fine! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breyer flockie at a thrift shop   Breyer flockie at a thrift shop Empty

Back to top Go down

Breyer flockie at a thrift shop
Page 1 of 1