Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou

Go down 
+2
Ana
Kikimalou
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Feb 26, 2023 1:22 pm

Hadrosaurus foulkii, I love this name, it always makes me think of a “mysterious” character like Severus Rogue or Artemus Gordon…

Hadrosaurus foulkii… 7 to 8 m long and weighs 2 to 4 t. The dinosaur is described from a single specimen consisting of much of the skeleton and parts of the skull. He lived in New Jersey about 80 million years ago.
It was discovered in 1858, which does not make us any younger, it allowed it to become the very first dinosaur skeleton to be mounted. He also gave his name to the whole family of Hadrosaurids, the duck-billed dinosaurs.
In this family, Hadrosaurus is one of the strong ones with a very robust skeleton. It is also considered a primitive Hadrosaurid.
In the world of toys, our friend is quite rare, made by Marx in the mid-1950s and did not survive the 20th century’s end, apart from a dwarf species at K&M.

Old Marx shows us how toymakers and the public imagined their duck-billed dinosaurs in the past.
The cause of the disappearance is probably the absence of a crest on the skull, which makes it much less identifiable and fashion than a Parasaurolophus or a Lambeosaurus.

CollectA therefore had the good idea of reviving the species in its “popular sizes” collection. It is therefore inexpensive and also takes up little space.

What about the quality? For a very long time I didn't really appreciate the brand's dinosaurs and particularly the "popular sizes", the first ones were made for playing and the realism was not there.
And then models like the Attenborosaurus, Plateosaurus, Dolichorhynchops and many more came along and CollectA started producing what I consider to be little gems at discount prices. Now I look forward every year about new productions.

The Hadrosaurus 2023 is small, its scale is between 1/49 and 1/56. It is on the other hand very elegant with a pose, colors and details like the texture of the skin which make the model very natural (amazing) in my opinion.

But let the pics do their job  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So What about the size ?

With some 1/50 CollectA Ornithopods

With 1/50 friends from Safari Ltd and Kaiyodo

With two modern 1/50 "Big five"

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Feb 26, 2023 2:47 pm

Yay, another great walkaround with Kikimalou Very Happy
It's a lovely dinosaur! I like the trotting pose and subtle colors. I know little about dinosaurs but to me it looks like a very believable reconstruction.
Thank you for the photos and very informative introduction!

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Feb 26, 2023 3:49 pm

I have this figure, too, and as much as I love it, I do wish it was a little bigger (maybe comparable with a Safari hadrosaur).
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptySun Feb 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Splendid photos of this hadrosaurus, Applause Applause Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 3:19 am

Nice Pics

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 5:07 am

Thank you all to be here cheers

@Blaine I must say I don't have any of the modern Safari Ltd ornithopods. I suppose they are more 1/40 or 1/35 ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 5:07 pm

It is a joy to see your walk arounds again! cheers
I never liked too much this group of dinosaurs but since the reconstructions started giving a quadrupedal stance to the figures with those delicate limbs, they started to look much more plausible and even more beautiful.
This one from CollectA is surely elegant. I love so much the PNSO duckbilled dinos too.
Good idea showing a comparison picture with extant animals, it gives us a very good perception of the size of the real creature.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptyWed Mar 01, 2023 2:47 pm

I like very much Ornithopods,from Iguanodon to the more sophisticated lambeosaurids, for me they are the Cretaceous antelopes and the Ceratopsians are the Cretaceous rhinos. The big difference is the antelopes were bigger than Rhinos then Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou EmptyWed Mar 01, 2023 6:47 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I like very much Ornithopods,from Iguanodon to the more sophisticated lambeosaurids, for me they are the Cretaceous antelopes and the Ceratopsians are the Cretaceous rhinos. The big difference is the antelopes were bigger than Rhinos then Laughing

lol!

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou   CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA 88970 Hadrosaurus: a walkaround by kikimalou
Page 1 of 1