Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1/32 scale animals second part

Go down 
+11
Jill
bjarki12
rogerpgvg
Leyster
Roger
bmathison1972
sunny
Kikimalou
Caracal
Taos
widukind
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 27, 2024 4:56 pm

I am very happy that you read and comment on my posts (even if you only remember the last sentence Wink). I understand that size information isn't always so interesting.

The final 1/32 scale figure in the CollectA Wild Animals 2 tube is the dama gazelle:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The dama gazelle is known to be the largest gazelle. Three subspecies are sometimes recognised, though this distinction is controversial (Scholte in Kingdon and Hoffman, 2013). The main difference is their colouration:

Based on the limited data we have, they also appear to differ in size, with N. d. mhor the smallest (shoulder height males 86 – 91 cm, females 81 – 84 cm), N. d. ruficollis intermediate (shoulder height males 91 – 99 cm, females 86–91 cm) and N. d. dama the largest (shoulder height males 103 – 118 cm, females 100 – 110 cm) (Scholte in Kingdon and Hoffman, 2013).

The CollectA dama gazelle has a shoulder height of 3.3/106 cm. That’s the right size for a N. d. dama. The colour is between a N. d. ruficollis and N. d. dama, so I think it is acceptable to admit it to the 1/32 reserve as a N. d. dama.

I am very happy with this figure because it is my only dama gazelle and one of the very few gazelle species I have. The only other gazelles I have are Thomson gazelles. (I should say that dama and Thomson gazelles are no longer recognised as part of the gazella genus, but never mind, both they are still called gazelles.) Here are my Bandai Thomson gazelles:

And here is my Colorata Thomson gazelle:

Are they really Thomson gazelles? The Bandais are 2.2/70 and 2.4/77 cm at the shoulder and the Colorata is 2.3/74 cm. Sachs (1967) reports that males are only 57.0-65.5 cm and females 55.0-61.5 cm. No, they can’t be Thomson gazelles. They must be red-fronted gazelles. They used to be considered a subspecies of Thomson gazelles and look similar. Here is a red-fronted gazelle:

And this is a Thomson's gazelle:

Nchanj and Amubode (2002) found that red-fronted gazelles have a mean shoulder height of 69.0 cm (N = 95, males and females are very similar in height). Taking into account a standard deviation of 5.4 cm, I think the Bandais and Colorata are possible as large red-fronted gazelles. I believe this kind of cheating is quite acceptable Very Happy.

Let’s compare the dama gazelle with a few more small antelopes. The Britains springbok:

It is 2.3/74 cm at the shoulder. Skinner and Chimimba (2005) say that male springboks in different regions have mean shoulder heights of 75, 86 and 84 cm and females are 72, 71 and 82 cm, referring to Kruger et al. (1979).

As Rogério told me, the colour of the Britains looks a bit like a black springbok, a colour variant of the common springbok:

Black springboks are often purposely bred, but they also occur in the wild. Alain painted a springbok with a more common colour for me:

Finally, a comparison with my Bandai impalas:

The Bandai adults are 2.6/83 cm and 2.8/90 cm. Sachs (1967) measured a shoulder height of 78.5-92.5 cm for males and 79.0-81.0 cm for females.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Wonderful collection of gazelles.I always enjoy all your 1/32 comparisons!

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 27, 2024 7:45 pm

Lovely collection and comparison!!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 27, 2024 9:29 pm

I agree that the Clairet buffalo is a really beautiful figure, it really stood out to me in these photos!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySun Jul 28, 2024 2:03 am

The Dama gazelle is rather a nice figure Roger.
And I like the 2 Bandai calves as well.

And Alain's repaint of the springbok actually makes it look like a springbok :)

In all the years I've had this Britains antelope I never once thought it resembled a springbok. I suppose it's because of the thick short neck and short legs Very Happy
And the makers of very good antelope models with very thin - antelope type - legs that I've seen have usually been made in brightly coloured bendable polythene type materials. Can't remember the name of the maker.
I'm not sure how repainting them would go to make them more natural looking.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2024 2:05 am

It is actually a huge luck that you can find a Dama gazelle in a size that is acceptable for your reserve. We, traditional collectors of non scale models, use the same Dama gazelle in larger size. It it was not CollectA, I believe that species would be absent. By the way, a gazelle doesn't have to belong to the genus Gazella to be a gazelle. They needed to group them in 3 different genera but they are all true gazelles. I like that you present springboks and impalas together with the gazelles. Despite not being gazelles as you know, they really look like them. Especially springboks which belong to the genus Antidorcas and this word means opposite to gazelle. Oh, I love Alain's repaint. Maybe that's a good idea to you to cover a few species missing in your collection.
By the way, is Annette referring to Heinerle antelopes? study

Babdo

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyMon Jul 29, 2024 1:46 pm

Hello Roger,
I have sorted the antelopes to the company MANURBA series 90 yellow animales.
See here, Benno.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2024 3:37 am

I have these ones Benno, and I have some others too that I was meaning as well, but they are packed away!

Roger I was thinking about the yellow ones above that Benno posted - with the think sleek legs.
The manurbas have usually a few bumps in their thin legs Wink

Yes! I can hardly remember all these (unusual) old company names Very Happy but I clearly see the animals in my mind!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2024 11:22 am

Thanks Annette and Benno. That's the old question of Manurba, Domplast or Heinerle. Benno, great job with that section, will you upload individual pictures of the yellow ones still missing. If you need help just pm me. Very Happy

Babdo

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2024 10:24 pm

Hello Roger,
I completed Manurba 90 yellow animals.
Benno.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2024 11:51 pm

Babdo wrote:
Hello Roger,
I completed Manurba 90 yellow animals.
Benno.

Great job, thanks! Some are listed as Manurba, some others as Heinerle. Is it supposed to be like this or is it more accurate to list them under the same brand name or even both?
Let me know. I will also add them to the species pages.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 31, 2024 9:50 pm

Thank you all for your comments! I don't know whether they could have made the legs of the Britains springbok much thinner, but I think it would have looked more realistic if the body had been smaller, so the legs would have looked longer.

You are doing a great job documenting Manurba on TAW, Benno. Thanks for showing the yellow figures.

Yes, collecting in only one scale is all about luck. A lot of bad luck too Very Happy. The CollectA tubes usually bring a lot of luck. CollectA usually makes their tube figures smaller than Safari, so there is a higher probability of getting something in 1/32 scale. I usually buy them without knowing the exact size of the figures; one day I may be very unlucky and not get anything in 1/32 scale.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySun Aug 04, 2024 11:04 am

Very nice explanations, especially about leopards, thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2024 4:49 pm

For a long time, I couldn't find good information about the size of giant pandas. Some authors say that they have a head-body length of 120-150 cm (e.g., Chorn and Hoffman, 1978, Mammalian Species), whereas others say that they are 160-190 cm in length (e.g., Reid and Gong, 1999, in “Bears”, edited by Servheen). Wikipedia combines these measurements and says around 120-190 cm in head body length and a shoulder height of 60-90 cm. Who is right?

I was very happy when I finally found some first-hand measurements. These days, I spend much more time searching for size information than looking for animal figures. Because the panda measurements are so hard to find, I’ll reproduce them here. They may be useful for someone. Anyone using them, please acknowledge STS Very Happy.

Pocock (1941, The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma) reports the measurements of one giant panda “in the flesh” and three mounted skins. Ignoring the flat skins, the head-body length (excluding tail) was 146-163 cm, noting that the largest panda was measured “over the curves”, but there is no note of how smallest was measured.

Davis (1964, The giant panda: A morphological study of evolutionary mechanisms) gives the measurements of one adult male panda (122 cm head-body length, 63.5 cm shoulder height), one adult female (shoulder height about 66 cm), and one subadult male (head-body length 119.5 cm):

Su Lin was a subadult male:

Schaller (1985, The giant pandas of Wolong) measured giant pandas in the Wolong reserve. Head-body lengths (over the curves) of the adults were 143-165.5 cm and shoulder heights 81-86 cm:

We see that the pandas measured by Schaller (1985) and Pocock (1941) were much larger than those reported in Davis (1964). This may be because the pandas came from different populations or even subspecies. Using skull measurements, Wei et al. (1990, Acta Theriologica Sinica) found that pandas from the Minshan region were much smaller than those from the Qionglai mountains (where Wolong is). Wan et al. (2005, Jn Mammalogy) found that the skulls of pandas from the Qinling region were even smaller and, based on both skull measurements and pelage differences, they argued that Qinling pandas represent a subspecies separate from other giant pandas. It may explain why some sources say that pandas are 120-150 cm in length and others say 160-190 cm. Both measurements are correct but they may come from different populations.

So, what is the size range of giant pandas? We have very few size observations from adult individuals, so we need to make educated guesses. The smallest panda, shot by the Roosevelt brothers (Davis, 1964), had a head-body length of 122 cm and shoulder height of 63.5 cm. This was a male, and we know that females are quite a bit smaller. The 120 cm minimum head-body length mentioned by sources such as Chorn and Hoffman (1978) seems reasonable, perhaps females could even be a bit smaller. Wikipedia mentions 60 cm as the minimum shoulder height, which also seems reasonable.

As for the maximum size, we have panda Wei in Schaller (1985). It was 165.5 cm in head-body length and 84.5 cm in shoulder height. However, Schaller describes Wei as a medium-sized male, considerably smaller than Pi and somewhat past his prime. Pi is described as the dominant male in the area, older than Wei-Wei, an impressively large animal with massive neck and shoulders. Pi is heavier than Wei (106.7 vs. 96.8 kg), but no size measurements of Pi were taken. In addition, Han, a female, had a shoulder height (83 and 86 cm on different occasions) that was very similar to that of Wei. This suggests that males can be larger, perhaps quite a bit larger, than Wei. Including a tail of about 15 cm, the maximum 190 cm total length mentioned by Reid and Gong (1999) seems reasonable, and the 90 cm shoulder height by Wikipedia too.

In sum, I’d say giant pandas are about 115-175 cm in head-body length (over the curves), and about 60-90 cm in shoulder height.

Photo of my panda models next time. I don't want to distract you from the size information today Wink.

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2024 12:41 am

At first I never noticed the wall the panda was walking on, and thought - goodness! surely pandas were not so enormous last century? as I looked at him walking beside his 2 lady companions!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2024 8:57 pm

Impressive Shocked No chance to be distract!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2024 6:27 pm

Thanks for commenting on the boring part. The perspective in the photo tricked me too.

Now the exciting part, my giant panda models. The walking and standing pandas are easiest to measure. Or at least their shoulder height is. The head-body length is more difficult because the measurements reported by Davis (1964) and Schaller (1985) were done over the curves when the panda’s spine was probably more or less straight. When I measure the length of my models over the curves, it exaggerates their size because the spine of the models is usually not straight. Especially at the tail end, it is usually quite curved. I’ll report head-body length between pegs for my models. I don’t know how much you need to add to get a measurement over the curves; perhaps 15 cm or so.

Here are my walking and standing models:

From left to right, we have a TIMPO, a CollectA mini, a panda from an unknown brand, an Ania “Yakiniku King”, a Playspaces, a Colorata from the Ueno Zoo box and a Safari Ltd from the Pandas toob. I have roughly ordered them from small to large.

First, the TIMPO, which is my smallest panda. It is 2.4/77 cm in shoulder height and 4.0/128 cm in straight head-body length. I should say that I have repainted this one in the original style. TIMPO figures are infamous for losing their paint very easily. I have never seen a TIMPO panda in a perfect paint condition.

The CollectA is also quite small with a shoulder height of 2.3/74 cm and a straight HB length of 4.2/134 cm. Not my favourite panda by a long way, but much more realistic than the TIMPO.

Then we have a panda from an unknown brand, which I think is rather beautiful. I got it thanks to Annette. It came in a lot that Annette and I shared, which also included a fox for Rogério. I am very grateful that Annette gave the panda to me. It is 2.7/87 in shoulder height and 4.4/141 cm in straight HB length. It’s quite tall compared to its length.

An ANIA panda from Yakiniku King. Yakiniku King is a Japanese restaurant chain that gave away ANIA toys as premiums to children. These ANIAs weren’t sold elsewhere and are a bit smaller than the regular ANIAs. But like other ANIAs, they are articulated. Its shoulder height is 2.5/80 cm and straight HB length is 4.8/154 cm.

The Playspaces isn’t the most realistic panda. Rather long relative to its height and its legs are too short. It is 2.4/77 cm in shoulder height and 4.9/157 cm in straight HB length.

The Colorata from the Ueno Zoo box is one of my favourite pandas. In fact, one of the favourites of my whole collection. It probably has the maximum size a panda can have with a shoulder height of 2.8/90 cm and a straight HB length of 5.0/160 cm. It may even be too long, but because it is difficult to measure accurately over the curves, I give it the benefit of doubt.

Finally, a panda from Safari’s Panda toob. It is smaller in shoulder height (2.7/86 cm) than the Colorata, but longer in straight HB length with 5.2/166 cm. In curved HB length, it doesn’t seem any larger than the Colorata, but it is definitely wider and bulkier, so I’d say that it is just a bit too large for 1/32 scale.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2024 7:26 pm

My favourite is also the Colorata one, it is a little gem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 21, 2024 10:29 pm

Lovely collection!

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2024 1:54 am

I remember that unbranded panda Roger - so happy you got it, it fits in perfectly! Your collection looks amazing with all these pandas.

I really love the cute Ania one the most, then the Colorata is very nice, with a good shape. The Playspaces looks like just a big barrel of a panda, haha, it's funny!
It's interesting how all the hind legs/rump are painted differently yet the front legs black band is more similar on them all.
That's a good job on painting the Timpo one!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 24, 2024 5:09 pm

I understand that Britain in the time of Timpo was very conservative, and that a panda would have to wear high-waisted trousers instead of knee-high socks. After all, some parts are meant to be covered. It's interesting how the post starts with a panda with a tiny head and then one with an abnormally large head. I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. The Colorata model is also my favorite.
Thanks again to you both for your joint venture to get a fox for me. cheers

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 24, 2024 6:07 pm

Thank you all! I have even more sitting and lying pandas:

They are impossible to measure accurately, so the best I can do is compare them with my walking pandas to determine whether they are 1/32 scale.

I showed the Toymany mini panda (a miniaturised copy of a Schleich) recently. It looks slightly larger than the TIMPO and is clearly smaller than the Colorata, so we can accept it in the 1/32 reserve.

Overall, the Britains has a similar size, but it has a larger head and wider body. The body is a bit too short relative to its head, but still, I think it is fine for 1/32 scale. Unlike the TIMPO, no high-waist trousers for the Britains. Not everyone in Britain was conservative in the 60s and 70s Very Happy.

Another small panda was made by Bandai for their Ueno Zoo series. It is very rare and I was very happy to get it in a trade with PeGe. It comes with a little piece of Ueno Zoo:

Bandai also made a giant panda as part of their World Natural Animals Australasia set. This panda is considerably larger, but when we compare it with the Colorata panda, then I think it looks fine for 1/32 scale.

Then there is the crazy Safari Authentics panda. It is similar in size to the Bandai Australasia panda but its body shape is uhh, a bit different.

I have four Kaiyodo pandas:

One was made as a souvenir for the Japan Railways Yamanote Railway Line. Ueno Zoo in Tokyo is on this railway line, hence the panda as a souvenir. It’s one of the top figures in my collection. Again, quite similar in size to the Bandai Australasia.

The Kaiyodo panda from the Capsule Q Unique Animal Zoo is perhaps even more stunning. It’s my only lying panda. It is very similar in size to the railway panda.

The other two Kaiyodo pandas are articulated. They are identical, except that one has a piece of bamboo under its arm and the other one doesn’t. All four legs, their head and the top half of their body can move. It makes them look slightly awkward. The panda with bamboo is from a set called Ueno Figures Souvenirs. The panda without bamboo may be from the same set, but I am not entirely sure. Ueno is a neighbourhood in Tokyo; the set is a similar idea to the Yamanote Railway Line souvenir set.

Next, the sitting Eikoh panda. It is similar in size to the Kaiyodo pandas and was previously approved by the STS community as 1/32 scale.

Four sitting pandas from the Safari pandas toob. Different poses, but all similar in size to the Eikoh panda.

And another Colorata panda. This sitting panda is from the Wild Bears box. I don’t like it as much as the walking Colorata panda, but still a nice figure.

And finally, we have a Takara TOMY Tape Holder giant panda. That’s right, it is meant to be used as a Sellotape holder. There are other pandas in this tape holder set, but I only have this one. It is similar in size to the Colorata sitting panda.

But wait, are they all truly 1/32 scale? The problem with visual assessment of their size is that the next panda looks similar in size to the previous one, but unnoticeably, they get larger and larger. It is a slippery slope. At some point, they are no longer 1/32 scale. But where do I put the boundary? Which sitting pandas are acceptable and which are too large? Without objective measurements, it is very difficult to tell.

Let’s compare them with the Colorata walking panda. As I mentioned before, this may be the maximum size a panda can have.

Are these two Kaiyodos too large? Their heads are larger, especially the lying panda’s, but is their shoulder height and head-body length too large? Sometimes I think they are too large, sometimes I think they are fine.

Are the articulated Kaiyodos too large? Hmm, hard to tell.

And the Eikoh? It’s quite bulky, but less tall than the Kaiyodos. On the other hand, it is slouching. What do we think? And how about the Safari Authentics?

Then we have the pandas from the Safari toob. I think we decided that the walking panda from this toob is too large. The sitting pandas are similar in size (are they?), so they would be too large too.

The Colorata sitting panda and Takara Tape Holder are the largest pandas I have. No, I don’t think they can be accepted in the 1/32 reserve.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 24, 2024 8:07 pm

Great selection of Giant Pandas,an extremely popular model!!!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 24, 2024 9:59 pm

Sometimes their proportions are so different that the only way to get an average scale is through their volume. Laughing
Colorata has very good proportions and geometry Some only look like pandas because tey are painted. It's hard to tell which ones are too large, maybe you can measure arm spam. .The Authentics model looks completely out of step. Though, I think it is great that you have it even if it does not display nicely with the other friends. I'm glad Britains' doesn't share the same outfit as Timpo. Wink

Last edited by Roger on Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 EmptySun Aug 25, 2024 12:40 am

What a funny presentation Roger, I like your sense of humor! Britain must have been a bit wild in the 70s I think.

I could not believe that there are so many 1/32nd pandas! What a surprise this was!

What will happen to your exiles? They are welcome here, my herds are not too fussy about size any more haha!
Though I think you make an exception behind the scenes? and let them stay?

I was wondering, about working out the best way to take their measurements.
Could you measure the length between the nostril and the eyeball?
Or the eye and the ear?
Or the base of the front paw, and rear paw?
Would they give more accurate measurements in pandas across the board?

I love the mum and baby most of all, because the look on the baby's face is so adorable:)
and I love the Capsule Q one, and the Yamanote pandas. They really are very good models.

There is only 1 model with ears turned to the side, Takara Tomy.

I was thinking that of the 4 Kaiyodos, the 2 articulated ones may look better on their rounded backs, with legs in the air - their necks seem to be straining upward as if they were lying on their backs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals second part   1/32 scale animals second part - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

1/32 scale animals second part
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next