Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sheep Breeds board discussion

Go down 
+2
rogerpgvg
Roger
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 9:55 am

Taylor, I jumped immediately to these Little Buster lambs. I used the chance to redesign the Little Buster page on TAW

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now it has a consistent gallery design with a section for cattle which have been competently worked by other editor and now a sheep section which I'm still studying. I read those lambs are made after the real fenotype of animals that are show winners so I will respect the maker identification. I really agree the crossed one looks a lot like a Suffolk.I haven't opened yet a page for the Dorset sheep. There are a few breeds with the name and since it is an US competion, I believe it is supposed to be a Polled Dorset which is a polled variant of the British Dorset horn. I usually use the Wikipedia layout and they differenciate the several Dorset breeds. If you all think I should merge them into a single entry, let me know why you think it is the best way.

Fellow21 wrote:
No, the ram doesnt match. The German Merino breeds are all hornless. And he doesnt match the Australian type either. The Horns reminds me of the breed "Heidschnucke" but that doesnt make sense as this breed would be A LOT smaller. The lamb also doesnt match that much,just because his ears arent floppy and it is too "big", it would need to be a lot thinner to match the Merino standard.

Thanks, this is not a coerent family. Those are figures with different releases dates and it seems like they have chosen those they thought could sell better. It is traditional with many brands. Even the first generation of Mojo sheep, which was all released at the same time, according to the manager, was inspired in two different breeds but the features were not respected to follow the popular culture of rams having horns and ewes not.

Fellow21

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 11:09 pm

Which is actually quite sad, they could have just got a breed where the males have horns and the females don't, there are enough. Which would be better than mixing any breeds together. But sadly we cant change that Sad
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 7:09 am

That's great Roger.With regards to the Dorset,I knew that it represented the Polled breed.However the shape of the face is very convex and it has very shaggy legs which are not characteristics of this breed.Maybe I'm being too picky and should be happy that at least the companies are doing their best to represent breeds.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 10:12 am

Fellow21 wrote:
Which is actually quite sad, they could have just got a breed where the males have horns and the females don't, there are enough. Which would be better than mixing any breeds together. But sadly we cant change that Sad

It's not so bad about Mojö. I can't find the brand manager explanation for the first generation and I can't remember exactly what was said. Though, we have a family of black-faced sheep and the same molds in white. That's been a common trick for many brands, using the same molds to represent different colors, not necessarily breeds.
I'm convinced the black-faced was inspired in Scottish black-faced sheep and the white-faced were inspired in a breed where both genders are polled. Though, to follow the popular concepcion of a horned male and polled female, Mojo made the ewe after the white-faced breed and the ram after the black-faced. So, the white-faced ewe and the black-faced ram are the most accurate representations for each breed while the others are wrong. White-faced ram shouldn't have horns and the black-faced ewe should be horned. It's confuse but I can't remember the white-faced breed which served as inspiration, I only know it is a British breed. Here is a picture of the "white" ewe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Picture is from Alejandro's collection

I forgive them because these sheep are very beautiful and they now are releasing a Romnee sheep family, they might not be the most beautiful sheep but this is a breed never seen in toy shape.

Taos wrote:
That's great Roger.With regards to the Dorset,I knew that it represented the Polled breed.However the shape of the face is very convex and it has very shaggy legs which are not characteristics of this breed.Maybe I'm being too picky and should be happy that at least the companies are doing their best to represent breeds.

Well, in terms of Wiki it is easy, just let it as they call because they mention they did it after the Winner of the competition. I don't know if the real winner displayed those features, if they just use an existing mold which they think is the one which looks closer to the real look of the animal or if they just do not sculpt it competently.
My job here is not finished, I just am not having time these days.

Fellow21

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 pm

The Romney Sheep, are very well made! The Breed in real life is just looking weird, because they have wool where other breeds dont. Could it be that the Mojo white Ewe were inspired by the Dorset? Even tho the Face reminds me of Lleyn Sheep. But who knows, i hope we get more different Sheep breeds in the future.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 8:22 am

Fellow21 wrote:
The Romney Sheep, are very well made! The Breed in real life is just looking weird, because they have wool where other breeds dont. Could it be that the Mojo white Ewe were inspired by the Dorset? Even tho the Face reminds me of Lleyn Sheep. But who knows, i hope we get more different Sheep breeds in the future.

It is great to know the Romney sheep are good figures from someone with an eye trained for sheep. Wink
Lleyn Sheep is completely unknown to me and I'm convinced it was not the breed mentioned. On the other hand Dorset sounds familiar but I can't be sure.
Watching the last tendencies, I am sure brands will continue presenting sheep figures of specific breeds.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 3:37 am

I opened a page for Polled Dorset

This Little Buster lamb Taylor shared is identified to breed level.

Fellow21

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 am

So i'll try again with uploading pictures. The Schleich Lamb from the 2021 Adventcalender could be a coburg fox sheep (Coburger Fuchsschaf). I'll also try to add a picture of a real lamb. One as it is older and of another one which is younger (and not purebred but you can see the colour as they look very young).[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 9:03 pm

I'm a little lost on this topic. I'd be glad of adding this breed even if Schleich does not mention it officially.
Is that picture of the lamb yours, can I use it on TAW?

Fellow21

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 pm

Where are you lost?
Sheep breeds are complicated, as some of them look the same. Yes the picture is mine, you can use it!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:30 pm

Fellow21 wrote:
Where are you lost?
Sheep breeds are complicated, as some of them look the same. Yes the picture is mine, you can use it!

Thanks, I see I've been updating the first post so no reasons to be lost. Wink Apparently not many things pending here, if I find a way to list the Advent callendar, I will add your red lamb as soon as possible.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 pm

This Farm themed Australian online shop is selling the regular CollectA sheep as a Border Leicester

It's probably misidentified or there is something I'm not understanding at all.
Here is a picture from Susanne's collection

Fellow21

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 12:13 am

Roger wrote:
This Farm themed Australian online shop is selling the regular CollectA sheep as a Border Leicester

Here is a picture from Susanne's collection

It is a misidentification. Border Leicester have Bunny Ears, here in Germany they are called "Bunny Sheep" because of that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 9:55 pm

[quote="Fellow21"]
Roger wrote:

It is a misidentification. Border Leicester have Bunny Ears, here in Germany they are called "Bunny Sheep" because of that Very Happy

Thanks, I suspected it couldn't be right since Border Leicester are easy to identify but I thought it is worth to ask, especially when it is a subject I'm not confortable with. :)

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Breeds board discussion   Sheep Breeds board discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheep Breeds board discussion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2