Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+3
widukind
75senta75
Kikimalou
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Today we're talking about Brandenburg and African elephants.

The African elephant is, of course, one of the big five in the world of animal toys. Few manufacturers have not produced at least one representative of these giants, and those that haven't have usually come up with a hybrid that we don't know whether it comes from Asia or Africa.

For Lineol, things are clear: it has produced three African elephants, two adults and one youngster.
Lineol is one of the two great German brands to light up the 20th century, the other being Hausser Elastolin.

Lineol was founded in 1905 by Oskar Wiederholz and produced composition figures until 1965. The company was nationalized in East Germany in 1949 as VEB-Lineol-Plastik.

What about the species ? The African bush elephant (Loxodonta africana) is one of two extant African elephant species and the largest living terrestrial animal. It occurs in sub-Saharan Africa.

What about Brandenburg ? Albert Caasmann a German sculptor who was the leading designer and production manager of Lineol from 1919 to 1952. Inspired by his many visits to the Berlin Zoo, he produced four series of highly realistic wild animals.
He died in Brandenburg in 1968, and the city named a Caasmann street (Caasmannstraße) in his honour.

The elephant I'm about to present dates from Series III and bears the gentle name of 500G, a mythical piece for collectors of Lineol and animal toys in composition. It was produced from 1931 to 1940.
It charges and trumpets like furious, which is not an uncommon pose for elephant toys.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He's not short on personality

This elephant had a successor in the Series IV, which reigned from 1940 to 1960.

With a few "successors" from the second half of the 20th century, Britains Ltd and Timpo

With another 21st century "successor", Papo
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 5:07 pm

In fact, the elephant is rightly one of the big five of the animal world.
In real nature as well as in the world of toy animals - but this model here, the Lineol III. African elephant  
by Albert Caasmann, is one of the top 5 in the premier class among collectors of composition animal figures.
For many Lineol collectors, this is the "holy grail" for the own collection. I personally find it even more beautiful than
the famous running large Indian elephant from Series I. (No. 400/501 from 1906-1920).
What would Oskar Wiederholz and his Lineol company be without the talented artist Albert Caasmann, who was responsible for so many 100 models?
Beautiful photos Christophe, that show all the beauty of this extraordinary model. I love you

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 7:01 pm

If you talk about Brandenburg, dont forget Dresden. Lineol was from 1957 until the end (1963) here together with A.Caasmann. He lives in Dresden a few years, Mr. Peipp (Peipp miniatures) knows him.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 7:32 pm

This magnificent trumpeter deserved a prodigious walk around, and who better than you to pay tribute to this emblematic figure?
Actually, I only knew the 4th generation, of which I have a copy, but as a friend of mine says, if there's a fourth, there must be a third. Yes, my friend is a fan of La Palice.
I also had no idea of the rarity of this model, but what impresses me the most is the plasticity presented by the extremely dynamic posture that the model exhibits. Movement can be perceived in every detail; it even scares to see other fragile figures near this beast. Thank you for dignifiedly presenting yet another piece of art and history from this hobby that we all appreciate so much.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 10:47 pm

It's a beautiful elephant, even better than the Gen IV in my opinion. Great photos too.

I wonder whether Caasmann is the only animal model sculptor after who a street is named. It's good that they honoured him this way. It shows how influential this sculptor and his models were.

I thought that the "standard" sized composition models were similar in size to the standard sized modern models, but that doesn't appear to be the case for the elephants. Does this mean that the composition models were better in scale with each other than the standard sized models by modern brands?

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue Feb 27, 2024 2:17 am

What a very beautiful model this is Christophe! just under 100 years old and it looks nearly perfect, the paintwork and colour depth look perfect.
As well as the sculpting, it is a very fine figure that shadows many of the newer models. Testament to Albert's observational skills.

Your knowledge is like an encyclopedia! You share the most amazing minute details about things from so long ago to do with these figures and their colourful history.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 9:56 am

Yes Yvette, I'm very happy to have and show that awesome mighty I love you
What would Kikimalou and his composition animal toys collection be without the talented artist Albert Caasmann ? Laughing

Yes Andreas I dont forget Dresden and Berlin but none of these cities gave to A.Caasmann a streetname. Wink

Rogério, your friend, fan of La Palice, could also be wrong because there were Lineol III and IV African elephants but no first or second Laughing
For me, this model has it all, combining realism with a very dynamic pose that makes you want to take a trip into the heart of mysterious Africa. It's an invitation to daydream and epic adventures that no child can resist. drunken

Roger I don't know other animal model sculptor after who a street is named but some should be honoured in the same way.
The "standard" sized composition zebras are similar in size to the standard sized modern zebras Wink Yes the Lineol models were better in scale with each other than the standard sized models by modern brands.

Annette, in my mind Lineol is the company that best combines realism and poetry, and has earned a special place in toy heaven. Very Happy
For me collecting knowledge and toys is indissociable, twenty years ago I was a nut Palmface Wink
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes Yvette, I'm very happy to have and show that awesome mighty  I love you
What would Kikimalou and his composition animal toys collection be without the talented artist Albert Caasmann ?  Laughing

Yes Andreas I dont forget Dresden and Berlin but none of these cities gave to A.Caasmann a streetname.  Wink

Rogério, your friend, fan of La Palice, could also be wrong because there were  Lineol III and IV African elephants but no first or second  Laughing
For me, this model has it all, combining realism with a very dynamic pose that makes you want to take a trip into the heart of mysterious Africa. It's an invitation to daydream and epic adventures that no child can resist. drunken

Roger I don't know other animal model sculptor after who a street is named but some should be honoured in the same way.
The "standard" sized composition zebras are similar in size to the standard sized modern zebras  Wink Yes the Lineol models were better in scale with each other than the standard sized models by modern brands.

Annette, in my mind Lineol is the company that best combines realism and poetry, and has earned a special place in toy heaven.  Very Happy
For me collecting knowledge and toys is indissociable, twenty years ago I was a nut  Palmface  Wink

Thats true. There is a very old house, very destroyed, on this area where Lineol was. Lineol was on a area in Dresden, there is now a brand for toothpaste. In the underground are many floors. I hope the brother of my wife (who work there) can on time help me to go in that underground and the house.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 4:34 pm

Wonderful walkaround of a wonderful piece, a true monument in all the sences of this word! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 8:35 pm

Thank you Alain cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lineol III African elephant (500G): a walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1