Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!

Go down 
+20
Katy Leven
Toymany-kenc
Ana
MartinH
sunny
Tupolew Tu-154
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Sergey
Nasreddin
Jill
Saien
landrover
Roger
Caracal
Kikimalou
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2024 9:27 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2024 4:24 am

Neapolitan and misc. no breed mastiffs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Neos, as they are often called, date back as far as 3000 BC in Rome! They have their beginnings from an extinct breed, the Molossus of ancient Greece. This history indicates that they were used as war and gaurdian dogs, Alexander the Great is credited with refining the breed by taking these large mastiffs and crossing them to short haired dogs from India. At this stage, they began to be used in Colloseum blood sport against both Gladiators and wild game. After this, they slowly lost popularity as time went on, nearly going extinct around the WWII era. Luckily, a journalist reintroduced them to the public and with modern refinement they again became the pride of Italy and were recognized by the AKC in 2004.

The other 3 mastiffs (below) I can't confidently assign a breed (the tan is most likely a neo also) but I thought I'd ask- any other suggestions?

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyWed Oct 02, 2024 7:13 am

Beautieful dogs

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2024 5:49 am

Thank you Andreas. :)

Checkered giant and Netherland dwarf rabbits!

Checkered giants (or giant papillion) date back to France's 19th century and were developes by crossing spotted rabbits with the Flemish giant rabbits. They are quite large, getting up to 11 or 12 pounds and are considered a "running rabbit" breed and it is reccomended to have lots of space for them to excercise. They closely bond with owners and make great pets.

Netherland dwarfs are the smallest breed coming in at 1.1-2.5 lbs on average. They have thick and dense coats that come in solid colors like sable, white, brown, etc. They were developed from Polish rabbits being bred in the Netherlands; because of their small size they are often shy initially, but will open up and bond with owners. They tend to get overgrown molars and enamel spurs- they need lots of roughage to chew on and regular checks on their teeth. Lastly, to keep the breed "breeding true" there are some difficulties; 25% of offspring will not survive, 25% are false dwarfs (longer face, ears, and body), and 50% will be true dwarfs (showing the flat face and small ears and the "cobby body" specified for the breed).

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 03, 2024 9:45 pm

Lovely selection of Mastiffs and rabbits!
Paige,I would agree with you with regards to the fawn dog being a Neo.A guess for the white model,possibly a Kuvasz?

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2024 4:52 am

Thank you Taylor!

Golden retrievers!
Developed during the mid 19th century in Scotland to be game bird retrievers. Early on, darker coated dogs were preferred and the golden color was viewed as undesirable. The modern breed is often one of the most popular around, and considered some of the smartest. They are also easy to train due to their drive to please their owners- this also makes them easily adapted to become therapy or service dogs. There is a golden in Australia that holds the world record for the loudest bark; at 113.1 decibels it is louder than a chainsaw!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2024 12:01 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptySat Oct 05, 2024 5:37 pm

Great collection of such a popular breed. cheers cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2024 4:44 am

Thank you both!

Bull terrier and miniature bull terrier!
Developed in the 19th century they were originally used for blood sport (dog fighting) and vermin control. The old English bulldog and the Manchester terrier were the primary source to create the breed;  between the muscle of the bulldog and the energy of the terrier they quickly became known as "canine gladiators". When dog fighting was banned in 1835, the breed then switched to a primarily ratting dog role. Today, this breed is the only one registered with a egg shaped head (a heavy convex shaped Roman nose) and triangular shaped eyes. They are often white, but can have colored coats. They are described as being very similar to a 2 year old- energetic, stubborn, loyal, and playful. They benefit more from a positive and affectionate training style. Unfortunately, the breed has a series of maladies that plague it including deafness (affecting 10% of bull terriers), numerous allergies and skin conditions (one is even lethal), breathing and heart conditions, and even OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

There is a smaller version of this breed as well that became known in the early 1900s. They share a common history with the bull terrier as they were created by simply breeding the smaller individuals. Unfortunately, the health of the breed has improved on the original.

I admit, this is a breed that I find attractive and I would love to own one someday- however, I abhor the health concerns breeders ignore and hope to see a movement to the older type and improved health conditions first.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2024 7:11 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2024 1:42 pm

Two iconic breeds, the famous Golden retriever which is everywhere now and the Bull terrier I love you

I like a lot the latest, I discovered this breed in the late 70's with "Meatball" the Baa Baa Black sheep mascot. To bad these animals can have so much diseases in real life

Which model is the n°1 for you ?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2024 5:22 pm

Thank you Andreas and Kiki! If I were to pick a bull terriee model, I think the Papo is my favorite. It not only presents the look of the breed but the face captures some of the personality too.

Its just such a shame- the breed 100 years ago was an attractive dog, and now its one of the big examples of exaggeration in look and the decline in overall health. Just look at the body type and the skull shape over time.

And I learned something new and unfortunate last night when I was brushing up on the breed. They suffer from a condition called Lethal Acrodermatitis; its a condition that affects the skin of white skinned/furres bull terriers (both standard and miniature) and kills the animal by 2 years of age. The animal will suffer from skin lesions, skin infections, nail disease, hyperkeratosis, delayed growth in puppies, and other health issues like diarrhea, eating disorders, and others. I just don't understand the ethics of breeding any animal that may suffer from these issues. Its a terrible thing, but I digress.

But for anyone interested, I would reccomend looking up different pet breeds (particularly dogs) from 100 years ago compared to today. Even the less drastic changes are telling for a breed.

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2024 10:02 pm

Lovely selection of Bull Terriers,or as we call them in the UK English Bull terriers!Yes, it's a shame what has happened to this breed and many others.Sadly the ancestor of the breed,he English White Terrier is extinct.Another problem encountered in the breed is that some bitches become over stimulated by the noise made by puppies and end up killing them!

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2024 3:30 am

I didn't read about that Taylor, goodness! I mean really this kind of breeding needs to stop. affraid

Birman, Ragdoll, and Norwegian Forest cats!
Birman cats were originally companion animals for Burmese temple priests and were considered sacred. They are born white and develop their colors and blue eyes as they grow up to age 2. They are a rather rare breed in the West still and often confused for ragdolls and longhaired Siamese. They can have some compulsive behaviors such as sucking/licking, and even chewing on and swallowing things they shouldn't.

Ragdolls are so named for their tendency to go limp like a "ragdoll" when picked up. They too are born white and develop colors as they age. Their eyes can be blue, gold, or green! They are popular for being amiable, intelligent, easy to train and easy to groom, and many people who are allergic to cats can tolerate ragdolls.

The official cat of Norway since the 1950s, the Norwegian Forest cat is included in the region's Norse mythology (specifically being related to the goddess Freya). They are quite lynx like; they have thick water resistant fur and extra floof on their feet and ears to tolerate the cold. They are the ancestor of the Maine Coon, are quite affable to other animals, but are slow to grow and mature (often taking about 5 years). This is one breed I would like to own someday!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2024 7:13 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2024 5:39 am

Thank you Andreas!

Shiba Inus!
As one of the oldest recorded breeds (dating back for at least 2,000 years) they were origiginally bred to be hunting dogs. They have a prey drive, boundless energy, and an excellent sense of smell and hearing; all designed to track, flush, and chase wild birds and game like boar. They nearly went extinct due to WWII with bomb raids and distemper outbreaks. They are often long lived- getting up to 15 years but the oldest ever was 26! They have a dense coat and they shed a ton; be prepared for intense grooming.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2024 6:49 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2024 4:06 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2024 3:26 am

Thank you both!

Brittany and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel!

The brittany is a spaniel type dog that was developed in the 17th century as a hunting companion. It may be evem older though, as similar looking dogs are a common European tapestry detail during the medieval times. The breed is small (only about 30-50 lbs) and is an energetic hunter. They come from the Brittany region in France, and while popular with hunters of the time, they also were also essential for poachers of this time/era as well. Today, they excell at sports such as agility, diving, and hunting trials.

The Cavalier King Charles spaniel was developed in the 1600s from asian lap dog breeds. They get their name from King Charles II, said to be so fond of his dogs that he neglected his royal duties and thus became known as the "cavalier King". They do keep some of their spaniel heritage in their enjoyment to chase small animals but these are companion dogs, not hunting dogs. They are often known as the "comforter spaniel" and used as emotional support/therapy dogs. They are a shortened muzzle dog (brachycephalic) and thus have some breathing concerns with some lines. They can have eye issues as well, but most importantly they suffer from syringomyelia- a condition where the spinal cord develops lesions and thus neurological effects.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2024 7:02 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2024 8:00 am

Shiba Inu cheers Great pic! With the Papo Terrier, it is the only domestic dog I have in my collection. If I didn't own the fabulous Kitan Club, I'd grab Safari Ltd. drunken
By the way, it seems you have more Shiba Inu than TAW, a few pics please Very Happy

What a contrast between the two breeds, once again aesthetic ambitions take precedence over health and well-being in the Cavalier King Charles, it's really sad. I much prefer the Epagneuls Bretons, which are very popular in France, because their morphology seems less altered and they have far fewer health problems. The Papo is really realistic, I like very much the pose.

The same than Shiba Inu for TAW please Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2024 5:13 pm

Great selection again. cheers cheers cheers cheers
However there is slight confusion over the Cavalier.The older version is the King Charles spaniel which has been around since the 1600s and today is a much rarer breed.It was crossed with the Pug to give it the flat faced look.Today its a much rarer breed and in the US its called the English Toy Spaniel.The Cavalier is descended from these animals.The story goes that a reward was offered to breed back to the older longer nosed spaniel and the Cavalier was created.Of your models the New Ray is the only King Charles Spaniel.Cavaliers are very popular in the UK,far more than the King Charles,and sadly they are notorious for problems with the mitral valve in their heart and therefore for small dogs they have shortened lives Sad Sad

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2024 3:39 am

Thank you everyone! Kiki, I will endeavor to take some photos for the wiki- I truly do want to supply anything that is missing, but I will have to work around a tight schedule with very little free time. So be patient with me, but I will get it done!

@Taylor, y'know, that explains a whole awful lot that I have been confused about with these breeds for a long time. And as you said, one of them very rare and at least in my personal experience I don't have a lot of personal experience with the other breed gaining popularity. I will have to research this more; is it a case of the names be confused?

As for the models, I usually go off of what TAW has things listed as given that *usually* they address some sort of advertisement name for X model. That's why I have them grouped this way. So I guess there needs to be some adjustment there.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2024 5:18 am

Guinea pigs and ferrets!

Ferrets were domesticated (probably) from European polecats some 2,000 years ago. They have been depicted in Egyptian art circa 1,400 BCE, have been written in Roman texts as being used for both vermin control (often of rabbits) and for Roman soldiers to use as hunting companions (also to obtain rabbits) as far back as 6 BCE. Nowadays they are used as pets; they sleep up to 20 hours a day, are very playful, energetic, and can even be litter box trained. While they have not been developed as far as to have distinct breeds, there are a fair number of color morphs available.

Guinea pigs were domesticated from their wild ancestors around 5,000 years ago. They are very social and prefer to live in groups of 5-10 (in the wild these would be family members); as pets, they really should never kept alone, they require having at least one partner for company. With Western popularity, this South American livestock animal has become diversified in the pet trade with about 10 distinct breeds known and many more colors/patterns.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2024 5:27 am

Really goodies

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!    The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!  - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Abyssinian, Exotic, and British shorthair cats!
Page 24 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next