Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Papo's scale problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aeglil

Aeglil

Country/State : Toulouse, France

Papo's scale problems Empty
PostSubject: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyMon May 27, 2024 12:38 pm

I ordered a few ungulates online, most of them being Collecta models, with a few Schleich. I also decided to add some Papo figurines for all the animals that Collecta hasn't released yet (Chamois, dromedary, impala, greater kudu and blue wildebeest).
As I unboxed all these models today, I had a bad surprise. Papo's are oversized when I compare them to my other models.
The only exception being the dromedary, which looks fine when I display it next to my Bactrian camel, dromedaries being naturally taller than camels, and Collecta's model being just too small.

What should I do ? Return the models to the online store where I ordered them and hope that for Collecta or Schleich will release their hypothetical own versions of the same animals ?
I guess I will keep them anyway and display them in a separate place, so they wouldn't look out of place.
Next time I will check the dimensions before ordering.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyMon May 27, 2024 6:45 pm

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to keep figures perfectly in scale. All those Papo figures are really nice figures, and personally I have them even through they are larger than the Schleich/CollectA you have. Of course it is up to you what you decide to do with them.

If you are looking for alternatives for the same species, the Papo chamois is the same size as the Schleich retired one, the Bullyland one is a bit smaller.

Bullyland has an impala that is smaller than Papo’s

Safari and Schleich’s wildebeest are smaller than Papo’s, although both are retired now.

And Schleich’s greater kudu is smaller but also retired. Kudu are pretty large though anyways.

If you like I can take comparison pictures when I’m home from work, I have most of these. Let me know what you’d like photos with

Animal Ark Website
Animal Figure Photography Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Aeglil

Aeglil

Country/State : Toulouse, France

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyMon May 27, 2024 7:38 pm

I would love to see your photos.

I will keep the wildebeest, the Impala and the kudu and put them together on display on a special shelf.

But I will send the chamois back to the store because I think it is out of proportion when I put it near other rumnants from the European mountains like the mouflon and the ibex.
I guess I shall order the model from Bullyland instead.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyMon May 27, 2024 9:09 pm

All these brands have problems of scale, even within their own range. About artiodactyls, most of Papo, Schleich or CollectA have scales between 1/12 and 1/22.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyTue May 28, 2024 12:39 am

I confess I found new owners to my Papo greater kudu and gemsbok and let me tell you that I remember my excitment when I bought the kudu. Now I'm far more tolerant with sizes and their blue widebeest and impala are in my collection. I also love their chamois and I don't think I would enjoy the Bullyland as much. If you ever consider to get the Safari lesser kudu, you will also find it too large but I don't think this species will see the light again. I have mine and I love it. Now that you can ask on forum about sizes, maybe just keep your larger ones until you find a better sized model. Then you can try to trade or sell it.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems EmptyTue May 28, 2024 3:03 am

Ok here are the pictures. I'm sorry I don't have the Papo kudu but I have the others.

My 3 Chamois by Schleich, Bullyland, and Papo. Honestly they are all pretty much the same size, and I think Papo's is best. If Schleich made a new one or CollectA made one, I really don't think they would be smaller but you never know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Bullyland with the Papo mouflon (previously retired but now back in production), and the Schleich retired ibex (I don't have the new 2024 one yet but I think it is pretty much the same size).

The Papo chamois with Papo & Schleich

The Bullyland impala with Papo. Noticeably smaller even though it's head is down.

With the Papo wildebeest:

I don't have the Papo kudu to compare but here is the Safari ltd lesser kudu and Schleich greater kudu (both retired)

With the Papo wildebeest:

Retired Safari & Schleich wildebeest with the Papo:

The Schleich kudu & wildebeest with the Bullyland impala:

Hope these help! Honestly I think all these Papo models are great and I don't focus too much on scale because it is nearly impossible to collect in scale and in my opinion you miss out on some great models. Just my opinion though! Let me know if you want photos with other figures.

Animal Ark Website
Animal Figure Photography Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papo's scale problems   Papo's scale problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Papo's scale problems
Page 1 of 1