Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

two breyer horses

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
Arrakai
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Arrakai

Arrakai

Country/State : Ljungby - Sweden

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

One of my mums friends was getting rid of her daughters old toys, and as she new that I collected animals, she gave me these two breyer horses.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The thing is, as nice as the gesture was, breyer isnt realy my thing (they are a little to big and fragile to me)

So I´m thinking of maybe trying to sell them.
But i dont know anything about breyer! Can you get anything at all for them? And these two doesnt look like the best breyer ever made, plus you can see that they have been played with. The pony, I think it´s "Misty", is in pretty good shape, but the bigger one has some rubbs and misscoloration.

So, can any of you please help me? What a Face
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 pm

I think they are cute Very Happy

Don`t know anything about prices etc though scratch
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Those are both very old Breyers!

The Running Mare was sculpted by Chris Hess and was first released in 1961, one of Breyer's first models. The #124 matte bay* was released 1961-1987. From the looks of your mare, i'd guess she was made in the early 1980s.
(*yes, she's not technically bay, but back then, brown w black mane & tail = bay)

She's always been one of Breyer's most popular horses, because she is one of the original classic* Breyers. (*classic as in time honored, not as in the Classics scale size). She has the honor of being one of the original Decorator horses.

The pony is the Shetland Pony mold, also sculpted by Chris Hess and first released in 1960. Yours is the #22 chestnut pinto, released 1960-1973, so it's very old. The chestnut pinto came only in gloss, although in later years, it was not a high gloss. I'd guess that yours is early 1970s, based on the color of the hooves. Does it have the Breyer stamp on the inside of a hind leg or on the barrel? If it does not have the stamp, it's much older.
And in very good shape for its age!

Unfortunately, the model collecting world these days does not seem to appreciate the old but "common" models, so they might not be worth much in terms of money, but in my eyes, as an old time collector, they're wonderful.

I have no idea what they would sell for in Europe, but in the US the Mare is probably worth more as a body for customizing than as a collector's piece. Even in good condition, she would probably only sell for about $10.
The Pony sells on ebay for $3-$10.
It just kills me that such wonderful old classic darling models are not valued as they should be. Sad Crying or Very sad
everyone seems to want only the new fancy-schmancy stuff. Neutral not me, i prefer the old pieces who have character!

Last edited by Mastiffcat on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arrakai

Arrakai

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Mastiffcat wrote:
Those are both very old Breyers!

The Running Mare was sculpted by Chris Hess and was first released in 1961, one of Breyer's first models. The #124 matte bay* was released 1961-1987. From the looks of your mare, i'd guess she was made in the early 1980s.
(*yes, she's not technically bay, but back then, brown w black mane & tail = bay)

She's always been one of Breyer's most popular horses, because she is one of the original classic* Breyers. (*classic as in time honored, not as in the Classics scale size). She has the honor of being one of the original Decorator horses.

The pony is the Shetland Pony mold, also sculpted by Chris Hess and first released in 1960. Yours is the #22 chestnut pinto, released 1960-1973, so it's very old. The chestnut pinto came only in gloss, although in later years, it was not a high gloss. I'd guess that yours is early 1970s, based on the color of the hooves. Does it have the Breyer stamp on the inside of a hind leg or on the barrel? If it does not have the stamp, it's much older.
And in very good shape for its age!

Unfortunately, the model collecting world these days does not seem to appreciate the old but "common" models, so they might not be worth much in terms of money, but in my eyes, as an old time collector, they're wonderful.

Thanx for the info cheers

Oh, so they are that old Shocked
To bad you cant get anything for them. But oh well, I think I can make room for them here (I can atleast try Laughing )

The pony has a mark on it. It says breyer on the barrel, and usa on the hind leg.

Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 am

Congrats on the new additions! I have a small collection of Breyer horses and the oldies such as yours have always been my favorites. :)

I have the Shetland Pony too, but in bay.

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 am

Mastiffcat wrote:

What would you call that colour now, then ? Brown ?
In Denmark we usually do not distinguish, and it is very useful to talk about the 3 basic colours ( black + bay and chestnut) to understand the mystery of horse colours Wink

You know SO much about Breyer, Carolynn cheers

´´´´´´´´´´

What a gorgeous bay colour of that pony, Kristie I love you I suppose it is a real bay, isn`t it ?

We call that colour red bay, and chestnuts we call red Laughing
I have always thought the name "chestnut" is strange for a "red" horse, as chestnuts ( the things from the tree) are really brown, aren`t they geek scratch
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:44 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Mastiffcat wrote:

In Denmark we usually do not distinguish, and it is very useful to talk about the 3 basic colours ( black + bay and chestnut) to understand the mystery of horse colours Wink

i suppose if one must get technical and try to identify her accurately she might be a bay with one of the pinto patterns that causes high whites and a bald face- would that be sabino? hmmm, but since her knees aren't black, maybe she'd have to be a wild bay too. Laughing
but to make things even more fun, sometimes the matte bay running mare has a mane and tail that actually appears to be very dark brown, instead of black, so she'd be some sort of chestnut, or probably a dilute bay!
but i just call her the "old matte bay running mare." Wink
They did later make "true" bays, similar to the Shetland pony, but with a solid face, maybe one with a star too.

Breyer started to try to be accurate in its colors only relatively recently, so worrying about what color an old Breyer "really" is, can be an exercise in futility.

Kristie, your pony is beautiful! the bay Shetland has always been one of my favorites, and i think may have been the first "true" bay Breyer ever did.
I still have my black pinto Shetland, the first Breyer i ever got. He's my buddy. :)

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 am

They are wonderful! I like the mare esp, she's so sweet (and yes, her mold in this color is very nice).
I also love some old Breyer molds, esp classic-size mustangs.

Back to top Go down
http://y-cyhiraeth.deviantart.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Mastiffcat wrote:

´´´´´´´´´´

What a gorgeous bay colour of that pony, Kristie I love you I suppose it is a real bay, isn`t it ?

We call that colour red bay, and chestnuts we call red Laughing
I have always thought the name "chestnut" is strange for a "red" horse, as chestnuts ( the things from the tree) are really brown, aren`t they geek scratch

In Portuguese language, the fruit chestnut and the color brown use the same word - castanha! Maybe chestnuts are red somewhere! Suspect
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Roger wrote:

In Portuguese language, the fruit chestnut and the color brown use the same word - castanha! Maybe chestnuts are red somewhere! Suspect

EXACTLY !!!! bounce cheers
At last someone understands what I am struggeling to explain, thankyou Roberbert I love you flower sunny
Back to top Go down
Arrakai

Arrakai

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Yes, chestnuts are reddish, and I think the horsecolour is very mush like the nut Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

two breyer horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: two breyer horses   two breyer horses Empty

Back to top Go down

two breyer horses
Page 1 of 1