Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is the collectors fun?

Go down 
+19
scot(t)
Gulogulo76
Saarlooswolfhound
VASILIS
Roger
Isabeau
Menphis
Kikimalou
Taylcoel
Duck-Anch-Amun
sauroid
animalluvr6
SUSANNE
Elros Alvar
Dr.Narayanan
Kristie
STORMnl
HKHollinstone
widukind
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dr.Narayanan

Dr.Narayanan

Country/State : India

What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 am

@Saarlooswolfhound - I always look for the CHARM of animal figurines , and ofcourse, if the animal anatomy and realistic details co-exist , it's double bonanza . But the accuracy is only secondary to my eyes . Rolling Eyes

Another fun , as a mad collector is that I never allow any one to touch my collections affraid [ no exception to my close persons too Laughing ]

That COLLECTOR'S POSSESSIVENESS is one thing I absolutely enjoy sunny drunken cheers
Back to top Go down
Gulogulo76

Gulogulo76

Country/State : Oklahoma, USA

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 am

For me, it's the aniticiption factor, those months between when we find out what company is producing which particular figures, and the waiting for the pics to show up online, and then the waiting for the models to be available. The hunt. Searching through actual stores or finding the model online for a price we're willing to pay. Waiting for the package to arrive is agonizing, but in a good way. Wink The thrill of it's arrival in the post when you're all like, "Ermegerd! It's here! It's here! It's here!" Opening it, finding the model, taking it out, cherishing, displaying, comparing, setting up diorama's. Comapring it to the real deal. I love all aspects of collecting. Oh! and finding really, really rare models. Either retired peices like Schleich, or just rare, rare spaecies. Some of my very favorite models are ones that you just don't see that often at all, such as my Yowies marsupial mole, my wolverines, my Schleich jackal ( Very Happy Tabaqui, from The Jungle Book!! Very Happy ) or my Kaiyodo Thylacine. I also love my Marx forest animals like my American mink. Ahhh I just love being a collector. and best of all, meeting other collectors like you all, my friends from the Netherlands and Germany, to good old Dr. Narayanan in India! We're a pretty cool lot! cheers afro
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thats a hard question, but here are my best answers:
-I love waiting for, and of course unwrapping, a long awaited package.
-I love to find treasures in the oddest places, in thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
-I love when my neices and nephews come to visit and watching their priceless faces as they pick up and look at some of my new figures and they say "I don't think I've seen this one before... what is it?"
- I love when I go to visit my neices and nephews houses, sitting down with them in their rooms and watching them show me THEIR new animals, then I feel content knowing that I infected them with the collecting bug too. Laughing
-I like seeing the artistry with any figure, even if it may not be the most accurate or beautiful model.
-Lastly, I love to give and find so many treasures with my friends here. Very Happy especially when I feel like we have helped each other. Very Happy
So, those are my many answers, pick any one you want. Wink

great list!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 am

You are right Gulogulo Very Happy I forget to tell how much the dream time is important in my collector's life. The time I spend thinking about a model I still don't have, a rare to find one or an unknown, only seen one time and lost in the hunt. Those "Not yet" ones are a very important part of my collection indeed, maybe the most important Wink When i had the chance to go to the shop as a young boy to buy a STARLUx, I always came back with the one I bought of course but also with the ones I let in the display in my mind. drunken
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Scott. Very Happy
I like everyones lists, I never thought of a few before, and now there is even more anticipition! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

Country/State : Switzerland

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I like realistic, well-manufactured models because they are educational and fascinating: they prompt me to pay attention to certain details of the anatomy of a given animal, and I enjoy making dioramas with my models. I love this because of all the research that goes behind it, the attention to details, etc.
It stimulates me to learn more about animals, the environment, ecosystems, evolution, etc.

There's also an aesthetic reason, though. For me, beautiful models are pleasant to look at, and I also enjoy feeling their weight and texture. (That's why I love "heavy" models in particular). I enjoy taking photos of them, too.

Last but not the least, although I am probably too old to "play" with them, I often grab a few figures and take them with me on a hike in the woods or mountains and when I find a nice natural setting, I ask myself how the real animal would interact with that environment, and place them accordingly - and then I just observe them and take pics with my camera and notes... I sort of make my own documentaries. tongue

Back to top Go down
Dr.Narayanan

Dr.Narayanan

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 am

Worlds in Miniature wrote:
I like realistic, well-manufactured models because they are educational and fascinating: they prompt me to pay attention to certain details of the anatomy of a given animal, and I enjoy making dioramas with my models. I love this because of all the research that goes behind it, the attention to details, etc.
It stimulates me to learn more about animals, the environment, ecosystems, evolution, etc.

There's also an aesthetic reason, though. For me, beautiful models are pleasant to look at, and I also enjoy feeling their weight and texture. (That's why I love "heavy" models in particular). I enjoy taking photos of them, too.

Last but not the least, although I am probably too old to "play" with them, I often grab a few figures and take them with me on a hike in the woods or mountains and when I find a nice natural setting, I ask myself how the real animal would interact with that environment, and place them accordingly - and then I just observe them and take pics with my camera and notes... I sort of make my own documentaries. tongue

BRILLIANT !!! Even I enjoy feeling the weight , texture , details and pleasant look of every model I get sunny Very Happy cheers and I do enjoy making photos of them for my collection records .

After a while , I start comparing the photo and real model itself.

Another enjoyment is that I hold every model , observe and study their details as much as possible in closer and longer views . Wonder the sculptors creativity and dedication , compare the models with real animal images ........are n't we collectors really gifted in life ? Sad(o)): Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm

You all have many good reasons with which I agree Very Happy

My favorite things...
Bringing back home my selected model(s).
Arranging my display.
Comparing them.
Studying them.
Adoring the work of art they actually are.
Comparing them with their nature rolemodels.
I even think of what they would be like, if they were real characters. What personality, and what stories there could be made out of them all interacting..... i might not be completely finished with kids roleplaying Razz I grew up too fast!
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm

I like the moment of hunting for the exact model, then- trying to catch it- esp the Ebay auction- ohhhh!- and then the very moment I get the parsel and unpack it. When you realise that it's yours at last, and the search is over Twisted Evil
And I'm fond of taking the pics as well. Doing all the best to show the model's beauty and make someone else desiring it:)

Ponylover2606

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 am

I love the photography, crafting (rugs and halters etc. for horses) and the opening of a parcel!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the collectors fun?   What is the collectors fun? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the collectors fun?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2