Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou

Go down 
+16
animalluvr6
cattlecollector
Roger
pm64
Joan Milelire
ken yeo
Mark1
Sergey
STORMnl
ezhilan
SUSANNE
scot(t)
widukind
PeGe
Ana
Kikimalou
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 am

Interesting figure.

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 am

Papo really has done a fantastic job on this one.  It is loaded with fine detail and a lot of Scientific accuracy.  I am especially impressed with this Woolly Rhino’s anterior horn being sculpted with a planked shape.  Lots of fossil evidence supports this horn having this shape.  Paleontologists believe that its keratin horn got shaped this way from the animal moving its head from side to side in a sweeping motion to brush away snow in search of food.
The morphology on this Woolly Rhino is very good with a proper massive and bulky build,  short stout legs , massive long head and huge fatty hump.  Even the ears are proportionately small as is the tail as these body parts would of fared better in the harsh cold climate by being downsized compared to extant Rhinos of today.  The hair detail is also fantastic in appearance.  I believe this is one of the only Prehistoric figures Papo has sculpted with any Scientific accuracy.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 am

Thankyou for bringing this beautyful model to attention  cheers
Great photo too  Applause

smilodoncalifornicus wrote:
..... I believe this is one of the only figures Papo has sculpted with any Scientic accuracy.

I suppose you mean one of the only prehistoric figures ? Very Happy

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Thankyou for bringing this beautyful model to attention  cheers
Great photo too  Applause

smilodoncalifornicus wrote:
..... I believe this is one of the only figures Papo has sculpted with any Scientic accuracy.

I suppose you mean one of the only prehistoric figures ? Very Happy

Yes Susanne, that is correct. I did mean Prehistoric figures: Thanks for pointing this out
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Moved this topic from CollectA to Papo Wink

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm

NightLioness wrote:
Moved this topic from CollectA to Papo Wink

Thank you very much for doing that. I somehow put the topic under the wrong area initially.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 am

A magnificent rendition by Paleo artist Charles R. Knight of the Woolly Rhino
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Since there was already a walkaround available, I mixed the tow topics Wink
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It's a beautiful turtle Joan  Laughing  I also dislike far appart legs, that's the reason why I don't have the moose for example. But on this coelodonta it is fine  Wink

About the horns, I'm afraid we have the choice between a PAPO correctly flattened but woody horn or a BULLYLAND rounded horn...

I will take Papo’s flattened plank shaped horn version. Modern day rhinos have a rounded shaped horn, not Coelodonta. For myself the Papo Woolly Rhino is more scientific than the Bullyland one.  I think Papo’s follows fossils more closely.  Bullylands Coelodonta does not have the fatty hump correct at all.  It is much to flat on that figure and not massive . Also, the anterior horn of the Woolly Rhino tends to be very forwardly inclined, usually to the point that the top portion of the horn is well in front of the nose tip.  Papo’s Woolly Rhino got this perfect.  On the Bullyland version the top portion of it’s horn is not in front of the nose tip at all, in fact the nose tip appears to be ahead of the anterior horn. Paleo experts believe this horn was forwardly inclined like this because it was used as a tool to scrape away snow to uncover food., without getting it’s nose area buried in the frozen snow. Mother nature designed it this way.
Great walk around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou   The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2013 PAPO Wooly rhinoceros walkaround by kikimalou
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2