Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1:20 African Elephant Bull Model

Go down 
+4
skysthelimit
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
elephas_maximus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
elephas_maximus

1:20 African Elephant Bull Model Empty
PostSubject: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:05 am

I recently acquired a very nice 1:20 scale African elephant bull model kit. The model was released by Mountain's Animal Studio based in Taiwan, it is cast in resin and needs to be assembled and painted.
The scale is 1:20 or 20cm at the shoulder which works out to about 13ft tall, this is a very large, heavy model. Right now I have assembled the kit and put on a layer of grey primer.

The sculptor has also made a giraffe, white rhino, black rhino and is currently working on an Indian rhino all in 1:20 scale, all are VERY nicely sculpted as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schleich elephant for comparison.

An image of the final painted kit from the sculptor (not mine).

Last edited by elephas_maximus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:42 am

Andrew, I moved the topic in the good place for resin kit reviews and non toy animal replicas  Wink

Congratulation for your new model, it is wonderful.   Applause  I like the scale and the very good proportions (IMHO), especially between the head and the body. SAFARI Ltd made two BIG models of African elephants but I always thought the proportions were wrong, more like a juvenile than an adult. Your pics are explaining perfectly my point.

By the way, i can't find a link to the site of this company... Where did you buy it ? And how much is it ?

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for moving this to the right section Christophe. I also like the anatomy and proportions of this model compared to the Wildlife Wonders figures, this has the look of an old bull.
The sculptor has an eBay page which he lists his models occasionally and I ordered mines from him directly, I don't think there is a website for this studio.

You can see some of the past auctions in the following links with the prices.
1:20 white rhino eBay
1:20 African Elephant eBay
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 8:39 am

What a stunning model cheers

It is like seeing a live elefant Shocked cheers

skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 am

Congrats cheers
I'm not such an expert in elephants but left rear leg doesn't look natural to me... Suspect

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:09 am

Beautiful elephant! Congratulations!!! cheers Can't wait to see Your painted version too bounce

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 am

Andrew

Thanks for posting information about his model regarding where one can obtain it from and costs. Also for bringing it to the attention to this forum.

I see in your first image you have used the "pinning” technique. A useful technique to ensure that these parts are fully secured. However, one must get the location holes right! I used this technique when assembling my daughter's "War Hammer" figures. Also I see in this picture body putty. For a novice builder great care is needed to ensure that any overfill is removed before it is dried otherwise important detail can be obliterated. Fully assembled and primed it looks most impressive. To obtain the level of paint finish looks like an airbrush is essential.

I can see that one needs an excellent skills set to build and paint this model to an appropriate standard. Unfortunately, this will make this kit out of reach to most collectors. Price and postage are other factors in this case too!

Looking forward to seeing your fully painted model.

BTW the Schleich elephant looks like a cartoon figure when compared to this model. The back isn’t right and the feet are oversized!

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:30 am

What a phantastic elephant model again cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 5:01 pm

They are wondetful, thanks for sharing Andrew, I love the scale and sculpting is most impressive.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks SUSANNE, Ana, Andreas, and Harriet
skysthelimit wrote:
Congrats cheers
I'm not such an expert in elephants but left rear leg doesn't look natural to me... Suspect
Thanks, I think the leg looks normal to me, you can see the same pose on a real elephant.

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Andrew

Thanks for posting information about his model regarding where one can obtain it from and costs. Also for bringing it to the attention to this forum.

I see in your first image you have used the "pinning” technique. A useful technique to ensure that these parts are fully secured. However, one must get the location holes right! I used this technique when assembling my daughter's "War Hammer" figures. Also I see in this picture body putty. For a novice builder great care is needed to ensure that any overfill is removed before it is dried otherwise important detail can be obliterated. Fully assembled and primed it looks most impressive. To obtain the level of paint finish looks like an airbrush is essential.

I can see that one needs an excellent skills set to build and paint this model to an appropriate standard. Unfortunately, this will make this kit out of reach to most collectors. Price and postage are other factors in this case too!

Looking forward to seeing your fully painted model.

BTW the Schleich elephant looks like a cartoon figure when compared to this model. The back isn’t right and the feet are oversized!
Thanks Chris, you're right about the pinning it does add a lot more stability to the final model...especially for one as large as this. Luckily the holes were pre marked and that made it a lot easier to align the parts and pins. The epoxy putty took a bit getting used too as it was really sticky at first but then as it cured it became more workable and I was able to sculpt in the details to fill the seams. I made sure to use very little to avoid covering the original details.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1:20 African Elephant Bull Model   1:20 African Elephant Bull Model Empty

Back to top Go down

1:20 African Elephant Bull Model
Page 1 of 1