Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021

Go down 
+11
Jill
Dr.Narayanan
Taos
Roger
SUSANNE
Ana
widukind
skysthelimit
scot(t)
Saarlooswolfhound
koniminiatures
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 Empty
PostSubject: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:25 am

Here are my current T.M. medium-sized dogs - I haven't got the full set, but I thought I'd make them a thread so anyone with the rest of the dog figurines can add their own. Mine are stamped 1997. First up is the Dobermann:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

German Shepherd:

Boxer:

Collie:

Dachshund:

The impressively sulphurous/neon Poodle:

English Cocker Spaniel:

The inexplicably masked Golden Retriever:

And, finally, the likewise masked Labrador Retriever:

Not shown above are the American Cocker Spaniel, the Akita or the Dalmatian (or indeed any of the larger or smaller T.M. dogs).
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:59 am

I didn't know these existed. They are FANTASTIC! I have a soft spot for dogs I guess.. Rolling Eyes Congrats on these great figures.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 7:33 am

I agree, these are great. Very lovely. I particularly like the Dachshund; just marvelous.
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 7:41 am

The sculpts are very, very nice cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 9:23 am

Lovely dogs cheers cheers cheers cheers Congrats Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

Very interesting and nice dogs Very Happy Poodle may be the craziest dog figure I've seen Very Happy Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:03 pm

They are beautyful Very Happy

I only have the cocker spaniel drunken

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Good idea! Idea
The brand looks more competent with dogs than with wild animals. Unless from what I'm used to see. I like the boxer a lot! cat

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm

I, too, find the T.M. dog sculpts overall rather nice - some of them might constitute the best figurines of their breed that I've seen. The poodle is indeed quite ..eh, interesting, though - there is a black version of it as well, which is perhaps a little easier on the eye.

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySun May 05, 2013 5:25 pm

I have the Doberman,Dachshund,ESS and also another an American Cocker Spaniel.I always thought they were just msde in china dogs so now will have to rename them for my catalogue!hHere he is with the ELC ESS and Rough Collie.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySun May 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Aww, bless that mug. The American Cocker Spaniel's one I'm still missing. I don't like the breed, but the figurine's really nicely done and represents a dog slightly less grotesquely bred than the American Cockers of today.

Many of the molds used for the medium Toy Major dogs became later used in a line of polyresin statuettes called Conversation Concepts, by the way. Those are still kicking around on eBay, I notice.
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Dr.Narayanan

Dr.Narayanan

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 5:18 am

Welcome Koniminiatures here , from India Very Happy You really have a beautiful collection of TM dogs , I have never seen them before .

I adore the laying down poodle [ very rare to see ] , I love you I love you I love you , Dobermann , English cocker spaniel and Dachshund Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 8:49 am

Hello Dr.Narayanan, and thank you for the welcome & the kind words!

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 6:56 pm

I apologize for digging up a very old topic, but I was going to start a new one for a set of dogs I just got, and then found this!

Every time I see these dogs for sale, they are listed as Funrise, which is surprising because none of them have Funrise stamped on them anywhere. So why do the sellers list them as Funrise? I know Funrise and Toy Major are connected, but it's strange to me that people even think to list them as Funrise.

I was able to secure this set to investigate (and also just because they are really cool). I am missing the Dalmation, Doberman, and German Shepherd, based on the information in this thread. There is also a bit of weirdness with the stamps on the collie.

1 Akita 1997

4 Boxer 1997

5 Dachshund 1997

7 Poodle 1997

8 "Springer Spaniel" 1997 - note that the Cocker and Springer spaniels have their breeds switched on the stamps, and not just on mine. I found two Cocker spaniels for sale listed as Springer spaniels, suggesting that was what their stamps say as well.

10 "Cocker Spaniel" 1997

11 Labrador Retreiver 1997

12 Golden Retreiver 1997

And then the Collie (or Sheltie?). It has a very clear 1992 stamp, but if you look very closely, it also has the 1997 stamp, almost like it was rubbed out? Strange, especially since 1992 is before 1997, so why would the later date be marked out to put an earlier date?

And since sellers insist they are Funrise, here is the Toy Major akita compared to the Funrise German Shepehrd. Quite different.

Also want to point out how different the retrievers are from the rest of the set. They don't fit at all! Thicker legs, and the sitting pose, and the general size. Like those two were taken from some other set and just added to have more?

([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I hope you see this topic, I think you would like it, and your thoughts would be invaluable!)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 am

Jill, this excellent post ended somewhat hidden in this old topic but here is the right place to do it. Very Happy
Thanks to you I opened this page at the Toy Animal Wiki. Very Happy
I don't remember if Lea ever gave permission to use her pictures, so I won't use them without being sure.
1997 and 1998 seem to be the best years of Toy Major models. I commented previously but I really like this Boxer.
It is interesting that you also show those inconsistencies but they look to me all as part of the same series. Even the Collie, what is that dog doing here? I listed it, almost "artistically" as being number 2 of the series but we will find out what it is.
I will point [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to this topic, maybe he still has those models he mention and help us with pics and info.
Once more, I will ask you to check, I am not sure what I did with the Spaniels. I have here the info of two American Spaniels and you telling me one is a Coker Spaniel while the other is a Springer Spaniel and their names are interchanged. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 1:46 am

You have them listed as they appear on the model themselves, yes!

The molds themselves represent an American Cocker Spaniel (yellow) and a Springer Spaniel (black and white). However, the American Cocker Spaniel mold is incorrectly stamped as a Springer Spaniel and the actual Springer Spaniel mold is stamped as just a Cocker Spaniel (no designation American or English). So, they just got flipped. I am not sure how it would be best to explain that on TAW.

Unless general consensus thinks the black and white dog should actually be an English Cocker Spaniel, but I think it much more likely that there was a Cocker and a Springer and in production the two just got swapped.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 am

Let's see if it is correct now:
- Model 8, yellow, represents American Cocker spaniel and it is marked Springer Spaniel
Model 10, black and white , represents a Springer spaniel and it is marked Cocker Spaniel.

Honestly I can't give any breed suggestion. I will let it up to our dog experts so naturally I follow your guidance. Wink

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 4:01 pm

Roger wrote:
- Model 8, yellow, represents American Cocker spaniel and it is marked Springer Spaniel
Model 10, black and white , represents a Springer spaniel and it is marked Cocker Spaniel.
That's how I'm interpreting it, at least, yes. :)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Jill wrote:
Roger wrote:
That's how I'm interpreting it, at least, yes. :)
I'd definitely agree with this too! cheers
Ohh wow, I just love the dogs by Toy Major! cheers cheers They have to be among some of my favourites, each breed is so beautifully represented, especially in the larger sizes, the sculpts are fantastic! cheers I'm also amazed that you managed to find these lovely dogs too- like you said sellers often label them incorrectly, and some of these TM dogs are so hard to find- I have yet to find any! But thank you so much for taking these close-up photos, it's wonderful and really useful to see as before I had to squint through Ebay lots and blurry photos on the internet to find the dogs by this brand! Very Happy
You have found so many treasures, that American Cocker is one of my favourite dog figures of all time (It would be perfect repainted), when I first saw it I instantly knew its breed- they have so clearly shown it with that sweet soft head and silky fur! drunken The Akita is also really nice, we don't see many models of this breed and I love how they have done this one- the paint doesn't actually show how lovely the sculpt is- I once saw a repaint of this dog and it was so beautiful! The Dachshund has such good proportions and what a joy to see a Goldie too, there are so many figures of this breed but I still smile every time I discover a new one! The black nose is strange but from what I can see they have sculpted the fur and head really well- it reminds me of Otter (avatar dog! I love you )- quite a small and stocky representation of the breed, but very sweet all the same! Ohh and the collie! I love you This brand has made some wonderful collies, definitely up there with my favourites. I find that very few brands have actually made a perfect collie that doesn't have strange proportions or features that just don't say 'collie' to me- but this one definitely does! Although it has a more delicate petite feel to it which reminds me of a Shetland Sheepdog- which it could easily be too, but given that it's marked Collie it would probably be best to keep it with that! Very Happy
Great find with these dogs, they're real treasures! A dog topic always makes my day as you can see! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 pm

I agree, the sculpts are really nicely done! I think it would be fun to try repainting them, but I would have to find several more before trying it. The akita especially would look really cool in one of their high white marking colorations.

I also don't understand the masks on the retrievers, but then, the poodle is bright yellow and the cocker has a pink spot on its back, so. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I will remember you if I ever come across doubles of these, Bonnie!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am

Jill wrote:
I agree, the sculpts are really nicely done! I think it would be fun to try repainting them, but I would have to find several more before trying it. The akita especially would look really cool in one of their high white marking colorations.

I also don't understand the masks on the retrievers, but then, the poodle is bright yellow and the cocker has a pink spot on its back, so.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I will remember you if I ever come across doubles of these, Bonnie!
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Here is another Toy Major dog-its marked 1999 and just dog but its's obviously a GSD.May have the number of 11 as well but really hard so see even with a magnifying glass.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 6:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] just posted this one recently, it is hollow, marked 1999 and with the letter D.
It is just marked Dog because it is from a farm series.

Picture from @Babdo's collection.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks Roger,that's him! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021   Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021 Empty

Back to top Go down

Toy Major 1997 Dogs, updated in 2021
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next