Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Susannes lead models ;-)

Go down 
+9
Roger
AlopexLagopus
cattlecollector
Mastiffcat
Ana
75senta75
widukind
Sumo
SUSANNE
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Susannes lead models ;-) Empty
PostSubject: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Recently I got some old lead sheep for a friend ( guess who Wink ), and , Ooops! I could not help seeing the other lead models from that seller ! Rolling Eyes

Long story short, - today a wonderful parcel arrived from England cheers
I do not know much about them, and would be very happy for any information !!!! study

Westie proudly presents all seven Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

According to the seller, they are almost all about 80 years old, and they have been played with. It shows, bu look, aren`t they wonderful ?

Look at this little bison ! He is not marked, but is supposed to be from Taylor and Barrett :

Here the three charming, old doggies :

Sct Bernard :

Bernard is the only dog who is marked :

This elegant Great Dane is fortunately from before the nasty habit of cutting their ears off drunken
He is from "Timbo", I think

Beautyfully scuptured Cocker spaniel, sold as " Timbo-like"

Pixyland Kew kangaroo bounce alien

Unfortunately some child has tried to paint white on him...but I don`t care Wink

Laughing Laughing I love this critter`s face Wink

Last, not least, two fantastic kitties, from "Johillco"(?) cat cat

The lion has a brand mark on the side of his belly :

Teach me, Tiger cat Very Happy

This lovely critter has been mine for some weeks, but I am adding a picture to complete "my collection" of lead models...Waterbuck from Britains Wink

I don`t collect lead models ! I don`t collect lead models, I....... Evil or Very Mad geek cheers

Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Oh, those are so cool! Very Happy Poor kanga, she looks like she's taken one punch too many.

The no-respect-for-history customizer in me thinks how awesome it would be to see them restored or even repainted properly to show off all that detail...
(Just as well I'm afraid of lead, really, or I could really do some damage. Laughing )

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/

http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Very nice old oldies Susanne Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Big congratulations for this find cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Susanne wrote:
Quote :
I don`t collect lead models ! I don`t collect lead models,..

Susanne, are you sure about not collecting them ?....Hm, they are so very nice! I think, you can cross the "don´t" in your sentence! drunken

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Thankyou very much, Friends Very Happy
No, No, Yvette, I really don`t, I REALLY... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sumo wrote:
Oh, those are so cool! Very Happy Poor kanga, she looks like she's taken one punch too many.

The no-respect-for-history customizer in me thinks how awesome it would be to see them restored or even repainted properly to show off all that detail...
(Just as well I'm afraid of lead, really, or I could really do some damage. Laughing )

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Susanne, congrats for your magic newcomers, they are really awesome Very Happy Kangoo looks like drunk or so drunken Wink I love especially lion and tiger, lovely creatures Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:27 pm

oooo! they are wonderful! i love the bison and the kangaroo is hilarious. He is definitely a front runner in the Most Confused Ever competition!

Hey, would a little Britains collie like to stay in Denmark with some other lead doggies? he would of course be welcome in Calif, but after a very long time of chasing sheep, he might like to take it easy play with his new doggie friends.

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Great additions Susanne! You are very lucky. I love the bison! The "waterbuck" looks more like an eland to me. scratch

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Thankyou for all the kind words Very Happy

Mastiffcat wrote:

Hey, would a little Britains collie like to stay in Denmark with some other lead doggies? he would of course be welcome in Calif, but after a very long time of chasing sheep, he might like to take it easy play with his new doggie friends.

Too late Shocked He insisted to look after his flock, when they left for California Wink

AlopexLagopus

AlopexLagopus

Country/State : italy

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Wow! They are so old and precious! :)

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:51 pm

I think that lead figures are those that give us a feeling of antiquity. Actually it is true once they are very old. Very Happy I only have a camel from Britains. Very Happy
I like them all, specially the Britains eland antelope! Very Happy

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 2:26 pm

The white paint on your lead kangaroo wasn't later vandalism, but was typical Pixyland/Kew factory painting for this model.

Of course it might have been done by a kid, but the kid in question would have been the child of a P/K home painting out-worker. They didn't observe child labour and health and safety laws in the back streets of the poorer parts of London in the 1930s, and the pay was so low that I'm sure loads of kids were made to help out.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:38 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
The white paint on your lead kangaroo wasn't later vandalism, but was typical Pixyland/Kew factory painting for this model.

Of course it might have been done by a kid, but the kid in question would have been the child of a P/K home painting out-worker. They didn't observe child labour and health and safety laws in the back streets of the poorer parts of London in the 1930s, and the pay was so low that I'm sure loads of kids were made to help out.

Thankyou very, very much, Dave  flower Very Happy 

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:54 pm

And the waterbuck from Britains is indeed an eland  Laughing   Wink 
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 1:38 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Recently I got some old lead sheep for a friend ( guess who Wink), and , Ooops! I could not help seeing the other lead models from that seller ! Rolling Eyes

Long story short, - today a wonderful parcel arrived from England  cheers
I do not know much about them, and would be very happy for any information !!!! study

Sct Bernard :

Bernard is the only dog who is marked :

This elegant Great Dane is fortunately from before the nasty habit of cutting their ears off  drunken
He is from "Timbo", I think

I don`t collect lead models ! I don`t collect lead models, I.......  Evil or Very Mad  geek  cheers

These two dogs you have here Susanne are ‘Timpo’. Timpo is short for Toy Importers and they operared from 1945 to 1978. The dogs are from the 1950’s are were part of their ‘My Pets’ range. The St. Bernard was number 5004 and the Great Dane was number 5000. All dogs were issued in a box. BTW Timpo also had a West Highland terrier in their range as number 5012. This number was also allocated to a Scottish Terrier.

Hope all this helps.  Very Happy

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Thankyou very much, Christoph and Chris  cheers 

DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I suspect the big brown Spaniel was made in Germany by George Heyde of Dresden, who made a lot of large scale nick-nack figures, intended as ornaments rather than toys, and were often fixed to ashtrays or blocks of marble or other stone.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 pm

This becomes more and more exiting  bounce cheers 

DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 3:38 pm

My (probably) Heyde large scale dogs:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

I'll eventually get round to doing a thread about Heyde and other vintage German made lead figures, which don't seem to be mentioned at all in the vintage German section. Not all vintage figures made in Germany were composition.
Back to top Go down
Jennypurr

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Re: Susannes lead models ;-)

First - if the metal animals are hard to the touch, then they aren't made of lead.  Lead would have been badly damaged after 80 yrs of playing!  Here's some info on old metal toys: http://www.antique-antiques.com/antiquemetaltoys.shtml

Many of the oldest metal Britains LTD pieces didn't have their name of it; just "Made in England".

Here's info on Johillco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hill_%26_Company
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Thankyou for the info and interesting links flower

Funny thing is that I never thought they were lead, but that it is what they are called...sort of like we talk about "rubber boots", even if they are made of plastic scratch

Still, this makes me think of "the little tin soldier", - tin soldiers were mainly made from an alloy of tin and lead Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Susannes lead models ;-)   Susannes lead models ;-) Empty

Back to top Go down

Susannes lead models ;-)
Page 1 of 1