Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models

Go down 
+41
Mgarat
LeeAnn
MiniZoo
widukind
costicuba
SUSANNE
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Roger
Wilorvise
A.R.Garcia
Geospiza fortis
littlebear
Bloodrayne
Dum_my
Tarunyada
Carola
signatus
ulinuk
Shanti
Bonobo
lucky luke
Fisva
Noémi
Florian
kudu11
Zelvik
SyLoBe
koniminiatures
elephas_maximus
Defteros
JonasV
cattlecollector
animalluvr6
Philter4
bjarki12
trevok4
A-J
Joan Milelire
HKHollinstone
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Congrats! The reindeer looks very promising! Wanna see it done cheers cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Defteros

Defteros

Country/State : Mexico

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Nice antlers.
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:54 am

jonesee wrote:
Wanna see it done
Wish Granted:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I just got the camera part I needed through the mail, and just in time, too, as today I had just put the finishing touches on my caribou. I feel as if I am catching on quickly to dry brushing, this is the third time I used it, and the first time on my own model where it was visible in the final product. I also began to make a pair of bison based off a pair I used to visit at the zoo.
Ryan:
and
Esther:
Here's a picture of them from a few years ago:
Please note that this is not my photo. It was taken by one of the keepers and posted to their blog. I am using as reference for the bison pictures that I had taken in August or September of 2011. That was the last time I saw them before they died in a flood in September of 2011.
I am probably going to fix the female's head. Also, does anyone know if the male's head is turned the way a bison should, I'm not sure about their neck flexibility?

Last edited by Geospiza fortis on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Huge image- sorry)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 2:14 am

The reindeer is great! I like the coloring. Very Happy The bison are promising, you are very busy! bounce

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 2:33 am

Thanks. Aside from these here, I am still Painting Penguins, sculpting a rhinoceros, and planning an Andean bear. I like to work on a few pieces at once, though, so any given model does not become boring to me.
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 am

Nice work on your caribou, it is great to see all the different artists share their creations on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 am

Nice paint - the antlers and muzzle stood out to me  Applause 
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 am

Can't wait to see the bison finished, the caribou is wonderful!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 am

elephas_maximus wrote:
it is great to see all the different artists share their creations on this forum.
Agreed.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Esther, the female bison, should be done in less than a month.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 am

Congratulation for your reindeer; it has short legs but also a lot of personnality and charm.  Very Happy 

Good luck for your bison pair and tahnk you for showing making off pics!
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 am

It's really neat to be able to see everybody's creations here.. I, too, really like the caribou's antlers, and the bison looks very promising indeed. For future reference: you can lengthen or shorten armatured legs even after the sculpting's been done. Here's a very basic method:

(Sorry about the poor quality - Photobucket made the photos even worse than they already were.)

Your sculpting material needs to have hardened (i.e. be baked for oven-baked clays, finished reacting for epoxies, dried for air-drying clays etc.) so it's nice and sturdy. Cut off the leg you'd like to change the length of - this can be done by making an incision all around the leg by using hacksaw, X-Acto blade, carpet knife or similar, and then cutting the wire with thin wire cutters. It's important that the sculpting material doesn't crumble away from the wire as you cut it. Making the cut surfaces of the leg rough would be good, too, so the glue (see below) will have more to adhere to.

Next up, prepare lengths of armature wire and roughen their surface up -a piece for each leg you intend to change. The thinner the wire the better, as long as it's suitably rigid to still act as armature and support the weight of your sculpture. Carve a conjoining groove into the side of your your sculpture and its severed leg. The groove should be suitably broad and deep to hold the new wire.

Set the wire in. Check the leg is straight. Drip in the groove and on the new wire a small amount of super glue and before it dries, sprinkle it with baking soda. The mixture sets instantly. Brush off excess baking soda. Apply a new layer of glue and baking soda. Repeat until you've filled in the groove and lodged in the wire, as well as filled the gap between the severed leg and the rest of your sculpture. Clean up excess super glue - baking soda mixture. Have new leg. Epoxy or a similar putty may also be used instead of the super glue mixture, but the joint will be a lot less stable then.

Last edited by koniminiatures on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:39 am

Geospiza fortis wrote:
jonesee wrote:
Wanna see it done
Wish Granted:
I just got the camera part I needed through the mail, and just in time, too, as today I had just put the finishing touches on my caribou. I feel as if I am catching on quickly to dry brushing, this is the third time I used it, and the first time on my own model where it was visible in the final product. I also began to make a pair of bison based off a pair I used to visit at the zoo.
Ryan:
and
Esther:
Here's a picture of them from a few years ago:
Please note that this is not my photo. It was taken by one of the keepers and posted to their blog. I am using as reference for the bison pictures that I had taken in August or September of 2011. That was the last time I saw them before they died in a flood in September of 2011.
I am probably going to fix the female's head. Also, does anyone know if the male's head is turned the way a bison should, I'm not sure about their neck flexibility?

WOW! Shocked Thanks, that's something amazing! Great job! I look forward to that I get to see the finished bison- Very exiting!

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Thank you for the comments. Koniminiaures, thank you as well for the advice. Is there anything wrong with adding clay instead of the super glue or epoxy to the open spot?
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Nice to see the progress :) The caribou looks so great!

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks, SyLoBe!

I also have had a rhino in progress since November:

I am trying to make him as accurate as I can. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 pm

They are RADIATING charm  cheers 

Fantastic, both of them !!! Applause Applause Applause 

koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Geospiza fortis wrote:
Koniminiaures, thank you as well for the advice. Is there anything wrong with adding clay instead of the super glue or epoxy to the open spot?

No problem. As for substituting the glue - baking soda mix with clay, I wouldn't recommend it, especially if it's simple earth clay you mean. It doesn't adhere to surfaces particularly tightly, so the fixed part will be liable to fracture - particularly so if it's a weight-carrying leg that's being fixed. I personally don't even trust epoxy to do the job, but always use the glue + baking soda method instead.

bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Wow - these are wonderful! The reindeer turned out brilliantly! Can't wait to see how the bison and the rhino look!
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 am

^Thanks. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but all of my models so far have been in 1:20 scale.
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Excellent again! You are really talented! Are you going to sculptor to Breyer or Schleich a short time later? Razz 

Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks.
jonesee wrote:
Are you going to sculptor to Breyer or Schleich a short time later? Razz 
I wish.  geek 
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 am

Here's another picture of the bison:
I was wondering about the proportions. Could I have advice, please?  Does anyone think the head is too large and front (or back) legs too short? I've been holding mine up to a picture for a while and its difficult to judge. Here is the individual I was referencing on the farthest right:
[Not my image]
The anatomy of my two bison is very important because I am making models of specific individuals. The other one I'm making is in the middle of the picture. I'm not sure where the one on the left came from, though. I don't remember seeing that one ever at the zoo, and certainly wasn't one of the two that drowned in the 2011 flood.

Last edited by Geospiza fortis on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong Picture)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:33 am

Only thing I see a little wrong (since you want to represent it off of a specific individual not just the species in general) is the hindquarters look a little short, I would put a little more muscling onto the back. Then the stomach doesn't lineup with the neck beard, the hair on the beard surpasses the depth of the "barrel" (stomach area) on a bison. Otherwise, its a splendid figure and I can't wait to see it done.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 am

Thank you. I would not have noticed those otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models
Page 3 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next