Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 
 

 Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 am

Went to a Michael's Art Store to see which Safari figurines were available. I was really hoping just to find one in particular - the new gila monster. Frankly, I was stunned at how crappy most of the figurines on display looked. No gila monster, either... Laughing 

I felt sad to see this, as I've always admired the design and manufacture of their wildlife figurines, generally. Anyone else feel this way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
orcagirl26



Country/State : United States
Joined : 2011-11-25
Posts : 1220

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:02 am

Last time I visited my local Michael's, they had none of the 2013 releases (I went in late 2013) and I'm doubting if I were to go again soon they wouldn't have any of the 2014 releases either. They did have some things on clearance so maybe they were trying to get something new in stock. I do agree that the condition of the figures weren't the best last time I went. Most of them were scratched, had paint rubs and the paint job wasn't all that great. Even though I do use a 40% off coupon, I didn't think any of the figures were even worth paying for.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn
Moderator


Country/State : United States
Joined : 2013-01-20
Posts : 9947

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:04 am

Very strange... the figures at my local Michaels and A C Moore are in excellent shape, it's hard to find ones with damage. scratch

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  LeeAnn  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
JonasV



Country/State : Finland
Age : 20
Joined : 2012-07-23
Posts : 5614

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Last time I visited my local Michael's, they had none of the 2013 releases (I went in late 2013) and I'm doubting if I were to go again soon they wouldn't have any of the 2014 releases either. They did have some things on clearance so maybe they were trying to get something new in stock. I do agree that the condition of the figures weren't the best last time I went. Most of them were scratched, had paint rubs and the paint job wasn't all that great. Even though I do use a 40% off coupon, I didn't think any of the figures were even worth paying for.

This's so familiar... Nowadays I want to buy brand new figures from internet. I don't like that
kids are playing with them in the stores  pale 

_________________
Jonas

I might be an awkward person but that's me and I'm not gonna change myself
Back to top Go down
AlopexLagopus



Country/State : italy
Age : 40
Joined : 2013-04-25
Posts : 387

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 am

I don't know where to find a Safari shop  tongue but you always find Schleich here! I don't like when they are not put in order, but superimposed on one another. They get scratches  Evil or Very Mad

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
orcagirl26



Country/State : United States
Joined : 2011-11-25
Posts : 1220

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 am

jonesee wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Last time I visited my local Michael's, they had none of the 2013 releases (I went in late 2013) and I'm doubting if I were to go again soon they wouldn't have any of the 2014 releases either. They did have some things on clearance so maybe they were trying to get something new in stock. I do agree that the condition of the figures weren't the best last time I went. Most of them were scratched, had paint rubs and the paint job wasn't all that great. Even though I do use a 40% off coupon, I didn't think any of the figures were even worth paying for.

This's so familiar... Nowadays I want to buy brand new figures from internet. I don't like that
kids are playing with them in the stores  pale 


Sometimes you can get ones like that even if you buy them online Crying or Very sad I've been lucky with anything I've bought recently, but it has happened to me in the past. Then the store makes it so difficult for you to exchange it and some charge you a re-stocking fee  Mad


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't know where to find a Safari shop  tongue but you always find Schleich here! I don't like when they are not put in order, but superimposed on one another. They get scratches  Evil or Very Mad


I've seen this happen here too with Schleich and the metal display shelf with the small holes on it that the stores use makes it even worse  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 am

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
Very strange... the figures at my local Michaels and A C Moore are in excellent shape, it's hard to find ones with damage. scratch

Actually, the relative condition of the figurines wasn't what I was referring to - it's the design, painting, etc. that I was disappointed by (for most, not all)... Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
LeeAnn
Moderator


Country/State : United States
Joined : 2013-01-20
Posts : 9947

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
Very strange... the figures at my local Michaels and A C Moore are in excellent shape, it's hard to find ones with damage. scratch

Actually, the relative condition of the figurines wasn't what I was referring to - it's the design, painting, etc. that I was disappointed by (for most, not all)... Smile 

I see. In that case the same here.  Laughing 

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  LeeAnn  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin


Country/State : Portugal
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 20252

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 am

I also misunderstood your introduction, I was not even 100% sure you were talking about Safari or other figures in that shop and disappointed with the lack of Safari. Now I believe you want to say that Safari figures, when displayed in local shops, look disappointing in quality when compared with other brands. Is it?
I only knew a single local shop displaying only Safari figures, they were not very organized, many were scratched and the range available was out of date.
Also, their kind of tags and disparity of sizes don't contributed to a good looking.
With that single experience, I must say that between Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, CollectA, Mojo and Safari, the brand that gave me the poorest impression in local shop displays, it was Safari for sure. However, I absolutly love their figures and I think their range is the most interesting in terms of educational purposes. Laughing

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I also misunderstood your introduction, I was not even 100% sure you were talking about Safari or other figures in that shop and disappointed with the lack of Safari. Now I believe you want to say that Safari figures, when displayed in local shops, look disappointing in quality when compared with other brands. Is it?
I only knew a single local shop displaying only Safari figures, they were not very organized, many were scratched and the range available was out of date.
Also, their kind of tags and disparity of sizes don't contributed to a good looking.
With that single experience, I must say that between Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, CollectA, Mojo and Safari, the brand that gave me the poorest impression in local shop displays, it was Safari  for sure. However, I absolutly love their figures and I think their range is the most interesting in terms of educational purposes. Laughing

Sorry for not being clear in my initial post. It's bad enough that Schleich has gone into the toilet the last few years; it's even worse if Safari, Ltd. quality is declining also. When I first started collecting again as an adult (2007), Schleich and Safari were my two favorite
manufacturers. Now, I'm not sure if I'd put either in my top five.

I have older wildlife figurines by Safari that I collected on an ad hoc basis, but I just think that the choice and execution of
painting job on some new figurines is not on the same level as it used to be. Maybe I will change my mind when I see all of the new 2014 Safaris in person, but I rather doubt it. I've always wanted to see another peccary figurine, but the new Safari is dreadful, IMHO... Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28265

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 am

There certainly is something wrong with the paintwork these years .

I got the dachshund , but the paint had been running at the eye.
As I hate to complain, I bought another one  Laughing 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The two new birds are beautyfully scupltured. But again...the paintwork ! - or perhaps rather : The lack of paintwork  Shocked 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

Susanne, thank you for posting these photos, as they exemplify what has been bothering me about the new stuff. It's not like the cape buffalo, okapi, scimitar-horned oryx, etc. classics of the recent past...

What I'm seeing now is sloppy, careless, almost cartoonish paint jobs on otherwise generally good figurines...those dachsunds look like they just stepped out of a Scooby-Doo cartoon... pale No 
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
arafan



Country/State : Brazil
Age : 17
Joined : 2012-11-16
Posts : 1974

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 am

Maye you should do contact Safari and they send you new ones? That paintjob is so bad this year. Sad

_________________
Bryan [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound



Country/State : USA
Age : 20
Joined : 2012-06-15
Posts : 4177

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I agree, I think that the sculpts are generally great figures. However, the recent paintjobs are sloppy and terrible. If they would just take two seconds and a paintbrush they wouldn't be as bad (I.e. the raven looks to be webbed footed because of the rock etc.). I like the company still and sculpts but not the paintjobs.  Crying or Very sad 
P.S. Schleich61, great use of a fallacy.  Wink I learned them in school and since my teacher has drilled them into my brain I use them all the time and people don't know what I'm talking about.

_________________
-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree, I think that the sculpts are generally great figures. However, the recent paintjobs are sloppy and terrible. If they would just take two seconds and a paintbrush they wouldn't be as bad (I.e. the raven looks to be webbed footed because of the rock etc.). I like the company still and sculpts but not the paintjobs.  Crying or Very sad 
P.S. Schleich61, great use of a fallacy.  Wink I learned them in school and since my teacher has drilled them into my brain I use them all the time and people don't know what I'm talking about.

Did I make a fallacious statement?!?  scratch 


fallacy

fal·la·cy [fal-uh-see]

noun, plural fal·la·cies.

1. a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.
2. a misleading or unsound argument.
3. deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.
4. Logic:  any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render arguments logically unsound.

5. Obsolete:  deception.


Personally, I would prefer "felicity" to "fallacy"... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Saarlooswolfhound



Country/State : USA
Age : 20
Joined : 2012-06-15
Posts : 4177

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree, I think that the sculpts are generally great figures. However, the recent paintjobs are sloppy and terrible. If they would just take two seconds and a paintbrush they wouldn't be as bad (I.e. the raven looks to be webbed footed because of the rock etc.). I like the company still and sculpts but not the paintjobs.  Crying or Very sad 
P.S. Schleich61, great use of a fallacy.  Wink I learned them in school and since my teacher has drilled them into my brain I use them all the time and people don't know what I'm talking about.

Did I make a fallacious statement?!?  scratch 


fallacy

fal·la·cy [fal-uh-see]

noun, plural fal·la·cies.

1. a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.
2. a misleading or unsound argument.
3. deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.
4. Logic:  any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render arguments logically unsound.

5. Obsolete:  deception.

Personally, I would prefer "felicity" to "fallacy"... Wink

No, no, no, no, no. I didn't mean you made a fallacy of thought, I meant you used a word that had an alternate meaning that I wasn't familiar with. Ad Hoc, or more commonly known as a Hasty Generalization is a fallacy of thought (my teacher has been teaching us common fallacies so we can "argue" effectively). It means that people make false statements making their argument pointless. I guess I should have been more clear, what I meant is that I didn't understand why you were putting "ad hoc" in your other comment, so I looked it up for alternant meanings and you taught me a new one that my teacher at school didn't mention. Sorry to cause worry or confusion, I meant for it to a be a good thing.  Smile Again, sorry to be confusing and cause it.  Rolling Eyes guess I'm really tired and need to catch up on sleep now so I don't distract from the boards...

_________________
-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
scot(t)



Country/State : USA
Age : 48
Joined : 2012-03-02
Posts : 2996

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Phil (and Paige): I may be wrong, but I think Paige was referring to the use of the expression 'ad hoc'. I've heard the expression 'ad hoc fallacy' to refer to the mistake of citing a reason one wouldn't ordinarily endorse purely for the sake of trying to defend one's current position. I'm sure there are other fallacies people have used the name 'ad hoc fallacy' to refer to.  (I'm not saying that's what you were doing. I understood you to be using 'ad hoc' in the ordinary sense, unrelated to any fallacy of reasoning.) Anyway, my apologies to Paige if I misunderstood her point. Oops. Paige answered your question while I was drafting mine.

Back to the main thread, I agree entirely about Safari Phil. I was extremely disappointed with their figures last year. The Elk was okay, but Safari can do better than okay. This year, I got both the birds Susanne mentioned above and, just as she points out, the paintwork is poor (or nonexistent) despite the fact that they are nice sculpts.

I think Safari is resting on its laurels.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28265

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:24 pm

An example of the paintwork they did a few years ago :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28265

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

....
I think Safari is resting on its laurels.

I surely hope it does not kill them

And why is everything  black ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
LukaLeon085



Country/State : ITALY
Age : 31
Joined : 2011-04-03
Posts : 554

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 pm

I think it's a whole lot of animals with errors of paint, it must wait to buy or try to buy at another store, I only buy on Ebay and animals arrive home in sealed plastic bag. In Stores the person's children often play with the animals. Cool 
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085



Country/State : ITALY
Age : 31
Joined : 2011-04-03
Posts : 554

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There certainly is something wrong with the paintwork these years .

I got the dachshund , but the paint had been running at the eye.
As I hate to complain, I bought another one  Laughing 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The two new birds are beautyfully scupltured. But again...the paintwork ! - or perhaps rather : The lack of paintwork  Shocked 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


I think that the black eye it was done on purpose. It is not a mistake when more animals have the same mistake.  Cool 
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085



Country/State : ITALY
Age : 31
Joined : 2011-04-03
Posts : 554

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

.. Razz but I love them
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28265

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:



I think that  the black eye it was done on purpose. It is not a mistake when more animals have the same mistake.  Cool 

 lol! lol! 


_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
JonasV



Country/State : Finland
Age : 20
Joined : 2012-07-23
Posts : 5614

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:31 am

This pelican really looks better... Yeah the black animals..hooooh! that's a little bit boring and lazy! >= (

Somebody has to contact to Safari and scream like crazy that thei'r figures are from kindergarten! That's not funny Sad 

_________________
Jonas

I might be an awkward person but that's me and I'm not gonna change myself
Back to top Go down
schleich61



Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.
Age : 55
Joined : 2010-03-29
Posts : 2059

PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree, I think that the sculpts are generally great figures. However, the recent paintjobs are sloppy and terrible. If they would just take two seconds and a paintbrush they wouldn't be as bad (I.e. the raven looks to be webbed footed because of the rock etc.). I like the company still and sculpts but not the paintjobs.  Crying or Very sad 
P.S. Schleich61, great use of a fallacy.  Wink I learned them in school and since my teacher has drilled them into my brain I use them all the time and people don't know what I'm talking about.

Did I make a fallacious statement?!?  scratch 


fallacy

fal·la·cy [fal-uh-see]

noun, plural fal·la·cies.

1. a deceptive, misleading, or false notion, belief, etc.
2. a misleading or unsound argument.
3. deceptive, misleading, or false nature; erroneousness.
4. Logic:  any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render arguments logically unsound.

5. Obsolete:  deception.

Personally, I would prefer "felicity" to "fallacy"... Wink

No, no, no, no, no. I didn't mean you made a fallacy of thought, I meant you used a word that had an alternate meaning that I wasn't familiar with. Ad Hoc, or more commonly known as a Hasty Generalization is a fallacy of thought (my teacher has been teaching us common fallacies so we can "argue" effectively). It means that people make false statements making their argument pointless. I guess I should have been more clear, what I meant is that I didn't understand why you were putting "ad hoc" in your other comment, so I looked it up for alternant meanings and you taught me a new one that my teacher at school didn't mention. Sorry to cause worry or confusion, I meant for it to a be a good thing.  Smile Again, sorry to be confusing and cause it.  Rolling Eyes guess I'm really tired and need to catch up on sleep now so I don't distract from the boards...

Oh, okay, Paige, I'm quite relieved to read your reply. I was worried I had made a critical error in what I had originally posted... Shocked Embarassed Laughing 
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?   Today at 6:18 am

Back to top Go down
 
Whatever happened to Safari, Ltd. ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Safari Snorkel for Disco II
» Safari 2013 WITH PREVIEW PICS at last!
» Unpacking a Safari 1999 VW Spotted Jaguar
» what did safari ltd retire in 2010
» What is your favourite Safari Ltd animal figurine???

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Safari Ltd.-
Jump to: