Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?

Go down 
+27
Birdsage
Joliezac
Night_Friesian
kellyL
George
Mumm
Kikimalou
pipsxlch
Advicot
Bonnie
sbell
Saarlooswolfhound
Jennypurr
halichoeres
Rhombo Eric
Anne from Norway
NightLioness
bmathison1972
aschuck
WhiteLightning Wolf
landrover
SUSANNE
Bowhead Whale
RedSetter
Taos
widukind
Thylacineotway
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kellyL

Country/State : Nederland

How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 13, 2021 11:20 pm

hi all, passively active on this forum since 2017 but collecting since 2015. So time to say hello every now and then. my humble collection counts around 1100 wildlife and small farm animals, roughly 70% schleich and the rest of the other major brands.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 14, 2021 12:06 am

Nice to meet you! Sounds like a great collection. sunny

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Your collection sounds amazing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: Still going strong    How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Dear Sts Friends:

Well, now I can truly say that my model count for my collection is 1348.

As for how long I've been collecting, I first started in 2016, and I'm still going strong.

As for recent additions, 4 new things from Safari, 1 thing from chap mei, and a bunch of LPS figures. Still waiting for the box from veghead.

Aschuck

P.S. Does anyone else collect LPS figures?

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 14, 2021 10:47 pm

Glad to hear your collection is still growing Aschuck. :)

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: Sand animals and other stuff   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 3:43 am

Dear Sts Friends:
Well, I thought I'd write something here, just to tell you that I _do collect sand filled animals. For those of you who don't know what these are, they're made of fabric, but they are not plush. The fabric is very shiny and satiny feeling, and these animals are filled with sand, not beans, as some plush are. As for me, I have quite a collection of sand animals, and I'm always on the hunt for more. I've even made a list of the ones I have and the ones I still need. I guess the question is now, does anyone else collect these, or am I the only one who likes these? Also, how many sand animals do you other collectors have? I also collect plush, but only if it's Wild Republic. Yeah, their plush is really nice. Perhaps I should count my sand animals sometime, so I can tell you just how many I have. Anyway, I hope I'm not the only one who collects these. It would be great to know that their are other sand animal collectors besides myself. Anyway, just to let you know, the current total in my collection, counting the additions from Safari, and the plush and sand filled animals is 1373. And I guess that's about it for news. So anyway, let me know what you all think of the sand filled creatures. I'd love to hear from you.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 am

These sand animals sound wonderful! cheers I think I may have one sand-filled lizard but I'll have to have a look! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: My Sand animal collection   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 10:23 pm

Dear Bonnie and others:

Last night I counted my sand animal collection, and found that I have around 30 sand animals. Also, today Dad and I ordered 4 AAA figures, all of them shell replicas. The AAA total is now 252. The full total is 1377. I just thought I'd inform you all of my finds and what not. And I guess that's about it for news, so I'll post if there's more.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 pm

Your collection is growing to amazing numbers! cheers The shell replicas sound very interesting! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Night_Friesian

Night_Friesian

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 10:51 pm

I honestly lost track of how much is in my collection-its pretty extensive but has never seen the light of day. I know I'm still missing some animals from my spreadsheets but based on what I do have catalogued I'd wager I have about 2400+ animals/prehistoria only and about 850+ model horses, which includes plastic and resin models.

I've been collecting animals most of my life but I've been doing it seriously for about 16ish years. As far as model horses I've been at them for about 14 years now.

Facebook: @SleepyHollowStudioss
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Night_Friesian wrote:
I honestly lost track of how much is in my collection-its pretty extensive but has never seen the light of day. I know I'm still missing some animals from my spreadsheets but based on what I do have catalogued I'd wager I have about 2400+ animals/prehistoria only and about 850+ model horses, which includes plastic and resin models.

I've been collecting animals most of my life but I've been doing it seriously for about 16ish years. As far as model horses I've been at them for about 14 years now.

Mind-blowing! You must have a palatial home to keep them all in.

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 6:24 pm

I always purchased Schleich & Safari models from local shops as a kid, but I would say that I didn't really start "collecting" until I was around 14. My collection is really special and personal to me and I try to give my figures names (about half probably have names), so I don't always focus on the number, but rather the figures special to me. That being said I have roughly 1,260 figures that I own. I collect Safari, Schleich, Papo, CollectA, along with the occasional Mojo, Kaiyodo, and Bullyland figures. I mainly collect wild life figures, sea life, birds, and dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 6:41 pm

Joliezac wrote:
I always purchased Schleich & Safari models from local shops as a kid, but I would say that I didn't really start "collecting" until I was around 14. My collection is really special and personal to me and I try to give my figures names (about half probably have names), so I don't always focus on the number, but rather the figures special to me. That being said I have roughly 1,260 figures that I own. I collect Safari, Schleich, Papo, CollectA, along with the occasional Mojo, Kaiyodo, and Bullyland figures. I mainly collect wild life figures, sea life, birds, and dinosaurs.

I don't name them, but I definitely have some that are special, either because they were gifts, or because they represent animals I'm especially fond of.

aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: The Full Total news   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Dear Sts Friends:

Well, a few days ago I looked at my collection, with the new Papo additions, and here is the result: 1466 Models, and that's if you count the lego, playmobil, plush sand-filled, and just about everything that isn't an accessory. Anyway, I don't know when I'll be getting more, but we'll see about all that. I just wanted to let you all know what's going on.

Aschuck

Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: Should LPS Figures be counted as models in a collection?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Dear Sts Friends:

Hey, I just wanted to ask you all a question, and this is very important because it pertains to my collection: Let's say there was a collector like myself with a huge collection of animals and people and such. Now, what if this collector decided to start collecting LPS figures? The question is, would those be counted as models too, or what? I'm just wondering, because I've been thinking about collecting LPS figures, but I just wasn't sure if it would be worth it as far as models went. So, what do you think? Well, let me know what you think.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 1:40 am

I think that you can collect any animal toys or replicas you want to, no matter whether they are realistic or cartoonish, or if they are plastic, metal, resin, plush, or any other material. I do collect stuffed birds, after all.
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: A shell collection story, well sort of   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 2:06 am

Dear Birdsage,

Hey, thanks for letting me know your thoughts. Yes I do have a plush, sand-filled, and microbead-filled collection. I also have a few barbies too. Yeah I know that sounds weird, but hey, if the barbies get to be royalty for my plushies, then, well, it works, right? Also, as for other stuff I collect, I have a small collection of _eychains, one of glass ⠏⠁⠏⠻⠺⠑⠊⠣⠞⠎⠂ a collection of hourglasses, and collections of door stop springs, antique keys, metal shoehorns, and a large collection of shells. I would say, by far, that my shell collection is the most unique of all of these. Also, I have a large model of an angelfish made of glass. Should I count it among my main collections of Lego, Playmobil and the other stuff I've told you about in other posts? What do you think? Also, my mom and I are working on decorating my apartment. The livingroom has music note decorations in it. Maybe someday I can send you a picture. Anyway, you can let me know about my angelfish, and I'll see what I can do. Also, about my shell collection, different pieces in the collection itself represent different things. For example, depending on a certain piece of coral's shape, or the shape of a cut shell, that determines whether the coral or shell in question becomes a person, or if it becomes a thing, like food, or weapons. In my shell collection, I have a lot of coral and cut shells, but I also have some sea glass, and a few fossils, and other random rocks. I also have this thingy called a sea biscuit. It's really a type of sand dollar, but don't ask me why, but I don't know why they call it a sea biscuit. I also have a few sea beans, a shark vertebra, and some long pointy spike things, which I think are called sea fans. Anyway, that's about it for the other collections I have, so if you want more info, just ask.

Aschuck

P.S. I also have a singing bowl, a collection of magnetic marbles, and a bell or two.

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Well, human figures and glass figures can be a part of the animal collection, and so can the remains of a real animal such as shells, bones, feathers, etc. And I’m sure you can have as many collections as you want. I have a collection of shells, feathers, bones, insects, and other wildlife artifacts.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm

aschuck wrote:
For example, depending on a certain piece of coral's shape, or the shape of a cut shell, that determines whether the coral or shell in question becomes a person, or if it becomes a thing, like food, or weapons.

Could you clarify what you mean? Also, the “sea biscuit” definitely belongs with the seashells. Fossils do as well. The other items (keychains, musical instruments, marbles, hourglasses, keys, doorstops, etc.) could be formed into one big collection of non-animal-related curiosities.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Regarding the composition of my animal collection, I currently have less than 15 Schleich figures. I don’t intend to buy new releases, thanks to the company’s aggressive business practices (it appears that their CEO is trying to brainwash us collectors into only buying and reviewing Schleich products.) I will only buy older products from this company (pre-2016 releases) and only from third parties. The largest portion of my animal toy collection by far is the original Australian Yowies, due to buying a large lot from Australia with possibly up to 500 of them. I would say that the next largest part of my collection is K&M, including a number of retired Audubon plush birds. The next largest portions after that would be Safari Ltd and Nayab (technically just a factory maker; it distributes to several dozen other companies). Then comes the unbranded ones and then a mix of companies of which I have fewer than 30 figures, which are, in descending order: Larami (all from a single lot) Marx (wooden model birds from a single lot), Play Visions/Club Earth/Wing Mau, US Yowie, Aurora World, AAA, Webkinz, Mojo, VTG/Walking with Dinosaurs, various Japanese companies, Innovative Kids, Schleich, M&B, Toy Concepts, and CollectA. Finally, I have 2 representatives each for Albert Hejin, Happy Kin Toys, Science and Nature, Tree House Kids, Toys R’ Us Plush Brand, and Adore Plush Company, and one representative each for UK Yowie, New-Ray, and TSTADVANCE.
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: The Sea biscuit is actually a building   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Dear Birdsage,

Okay, here's your definition: since I tell stories with my shell collection, there are certain pieces in it that represent people, because they look like people to my fingers. So in reality, the sea biscuit actually represents a large house, because of its shape. I never knew that you, too, collect shells and stuff! That's so cool! I also collecta Wild republic plush, and have several Audubon birds. Yes I think I'll include the glass angelfish in my total, but as for the hourglasses and such, they wouldn't be considered part of my animal collection. I also have a piece of driftwood in that collection too. Well, looks like I'll have to re-think my full total, if my shells can be included. Anyway, I'll let you know what the real total is later.

Thanks for all your help Birdsage,

Aschuck

Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: Well, here it is, the grand total   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 2:03 am

Dear Sts Friends:

Today, I took Birdsage's advice and counted up my shell collection. So now the real total of my collection, of things that are animal and people related, is 1833. This total includes shells, sand and microbead-filled, plush, playmobil, Lego, Schleich, Safari, Collecta, Chap mei, unonen brands, Papo, Mojo, Wild republic, and AAA. Out of all of these, AAA is my specialty. Or field of expertise, well sort of. Anyway, thank you all for the helpful advice, and I guess I'll keep on collecting.

Thanks guys,

Aschuck

Back to top Go down
munchingmike

munchingmike

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2022 6:38 pm

i have a lot of Britains and i started collecting since 2021
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2022 7:27 pm

Funny looking back over my last three posts in this thread, seeing how numbers and such fluctuated over changes in my collection habits. I am always nervous about sharing numbers, as I know many don't have my financial means, but I love stats and numbers

Here is a brief history of my collecting habits (years are approximate and may be off by 1-2 years):
1997-2003: Collected insect and arachnid figures
2003-2007: Off-and-on general animal collector, still a focus on arthropods
2007: moved to Georgia from Arizona, didn't bring any of my collection with me
2008-2009: moved only the arthropods/panarthropods in my collection to Atlanta; collected Arthropods exclusively from 2008/2009-2018 [moved to Utah in 2016 and brought everything with me]
2018: purged generic insects figures from my collection (eg, bin sets and such) and started a synoptic collection of non-arthropod animals
2022: purged about 200 arthropods from my collection, mostly Japanese figures (a lot of Sega and Takara) of commonly-made species, plus remaining stuff from dollar stores, and non-PVC butterfly figurines. Nowadays I only collect Japanese arthropod figures if: 1) new species, 2) very rarely made species, or 3) a marked improvement on what I already have

today my collection is at about 3100 figures, with these average statistical breakdowns:
Arthropods: 53% [the only group where I collect more than one species; this was closer to 57% before the 2022 purge, above]
Mammals: 14%
Fish: 9%
Birds: 8%
Non-arthropod invertebrates: 5%
Reptiles: 5%
Amphibians: 3%
Dinosaurs, 'sensu classico': 3% [the group I am most selective with]
Protozoans/Plankton: <1%
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

PostSubject: Here's my collection   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2022 11:01 pm

Dear Sts Friends,

Well, you're probably wonderin, by now, just how many figures I have in my collection? Well, I can tell you that, if you don't count the lego, playmobil, plush, and sand filled stuff, the total of my collection comes out to 1723, and that's counting current figures, and ones that are "coming soon." Well, that's the news currently, so I'll keep you all posted as to new additions, and all that. Also, Bmathison1972, you, like me, have purged some figures from your collection. ,what was your reasoning behind this decision? I'm just asking, because my reason was that I was collecting too many doubles, and lots of figures from brands that I didn't like as much. That was my reason, so what was yours? Just wondering.

Aschuck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?   How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

How many models in your collection, and how long have you been collecting for?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next