Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soma toys: anyone knows them?

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
Bowhead Whale
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 4:49 am

Is the white part the only part that glows? That would look a bit eerie in the dark... Shocked
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 8:30 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 5:08 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
Is the white part the only part that glows? That would look a bit eerie in the dark... Shocked

Yes, only the white parts glow in the dark. If that looks eerie? Well, that is a way to see it... I saw that Soma also released a flocked line of dinosaurs back in 1985. Maybe I will acquire them one day. But for now, it is the Glow in the dark series that I want to complete the most...
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 3:06 am

It's harder to see what a white line is than the whole figure glowing. Laughing

Flocked dinosaurs? Maybe they have protofeathers. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 9:00 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
It's harder to see what a white line is than the whole figure glowing. Laughing

Flocked dinosaurs? Maybe they have protofeathers. Laughing

Protofeathers on 1985 dinosaur toys... Now that is what I call "Ahead of its time"!

Right now, there are two Soma Tyrannozillas from the glow in the dark line on Ebay. Unfortunately, I don't have much money left this month; I had lots of expanses in August. I did put an auction on one of them and I sure hope to win it. If not, I sure hope the other one will still be there in September for me to buy it! I am very anxious about getting one...
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi!
Last Sunday, I finally received my 1987 SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK TYRANNOSAURUS REX!!! Now, I have FOUR (4) figures out of six (6) in this series!!! Did you see how this Tyranno looks like Godzilla? Yes, because for a very long time, in the public's mind, T.Rex and Godzilla were thought to be one and only animal. This explains why many T.Rexes representations from the 1950's to the late 1980's looked a lot like Godzilla. study  Look at the litthe Schleich "Classics" Königsaurier for example: you will see that it looks a lot like Godzilla as well: an upright position, a row of tiny plates on its back and long arms with many fingers. Shocked  It seems that it was Jurassic Park, in 1993, that finally separated completely Godzilla from T.Rex in the public's mind! Because today, you won't see many people draw T.Rex with Godzilla-like features, like many used to do during a few decades after the release of the first Godzilla movies!
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:

Hi!
Last Sunday, I finally received my 1987 SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK TYRANNOSAURUS REX!!! Now, I have FOUR (4) figures out of six (6) in this series!!! Did you see how this Tyranno looks like Godzilla? Yes, because for a very long time, in the public's mind, T.Rex and Godzilla were thought to be one and only animal. This explains why many T.Rexes representations from the 1950's to the late 1980's looked a lot like Godzilla. study  Look at the litthe Schleich "Classics" Königsaurier for example: you will see that it looks a lot like Godzilla as well: an upright position, a row of tiny plates on its back and long arms with many fingers (I couldn't put the picture here because photos from Toy animal wiki are blocked). Shocked  It seems that it was Jurassic Park, in 1993, that finally separated completely Godzilla from T.Rex in the public's mind! Because today, you won't see many people draw T.Rex with Godzilla-like features, like many used to do during a few decades after the release of the first Godzilla movies!
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 3:51 am

Congratulations! He would indeed make an excellent Godzilla stand-in.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Now, only two figures are still missing in that line. I hope they will show up on Ebay soon.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 9:21 pm

Today, I am crying. Why? Because a Soma Glow-in-the-dark just got sold before I had the chance to buy it. Let me tell you the story.

I own the Soma 1987 Glow-in-the-dark Ankylosaurus since my childhood. But since a few years now, I have been searching for the other dinosaurs from that set. I succeeded in getting the Iguanodon, the Triceratops and the T-Rex already.

Yesterday at the end of the afternoon, on Ebay, I saw the SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK MEGALOSAURUS. For only around 15 dollars US (and 13$ US for shipping)!!! This is a very low price for a toy that scarce. So, I tried to buy it, naturally. Bump! I could not, because there was not enough money left on my bank credit card. Gosh! So, I ran to the bank to put more money on my card. But, of course, the library closed during that time. So, I had to wait until today afternoon to buy the dinosaur (anyway, I had to wait anyway for the money to be transfered to my card).

This afternoon, first thing, I came to the library computers to go to Ebay and buy the precious Soma 1987 dinosaur. Big deception: IT WAS ALREADY SOLD. To someone else. Gosh. Multi-gosh. Imagine my reaction...

Has this ever happened to you? I mean: not being able to buy something, and the minute you can buy it, you find out it was already sold?
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Yes, that has happened to me. It sucks, to be blunt and excuse my language.

If something like that happens again, please let me know, maybe I can help and win it for you.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2023 9:46 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
Yes, that has happened to me. It sucks, to be blunt and excuse my language.

If something like that happens again, please let me know, maybe I can help and win it for you.

It was not a bidding sale, it was a Buy It Now sale. This is why it could be sold so quickly after having appeared on the site. A Bidding sale would mean the dinosaur would still be on the site.

And, since that I am the only one in the animal toy forums (at least the ones I'm registerd in) to love that series, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO IN THE WORLD BUYS THEM JUST UNDERNEATH MY NOSE, PLEASE!!!??? On the Dinosaur Toy Forum Im am registered in, not only very few members know this line, but the ones who know them keep saying just how ugly they are. If they are so unpopular, WHY DO I HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE GETTING THEM!!!??? The answer to it should be that I shouldn't. WHO IS THAT PERSON (if it is not just one person, how many are they?) WHO KEEPS BUYING THOSE TOYS I AM LOOKING FOR SO BADLY!!!??? Is it some kind of act of cruelty or what!!!?? I will start to take it vvveeeeerrrryyyy personnally.

It's just like the NF animals. Nobody but me seems to like them, but no one has any to offer me. On any toy site at all. I have been searching for the camel, the donkey, the hen, the rabbit and others for such a long time already. Even the (human) farmers figures are nowhere to be found. I seem to be the only one to look for them, but I just cannot find them. Is that supposed to be logical? To find the NF Giraffe, I had to go to the german Ebay site. From Ebay Germany was also my packaged NF Hippopotamus (with publicity cardboard). And still no NF hen, no NF donkey, no NF rabbit.

I don't know what is going on...
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 1:13 am

Crying or Very sad *cyber hug*

All I can think of is that people looking for the toys of their childhood are remembering these figures fondly. If I come across any more NF or Soma figures, I will remember you.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 1:41 am

I'm sorry to hear that Valerie! maybe the website page did not refresh properly, and that is why it was still showing as available.
And perhaps, most people who are buying these toys could be because of what they look like - not necessarily because they are a certain brand or make.
Many times toys are sold with inaccurate descriptions because the seller has no idea what it is.
Have you tried to do generic searches on ebay? - maybe you will see these figures in big batches, bundles or joblots instead??
I wish you the best of luck though!
and I will keep an eye out for you here.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 1:03 am

sunny wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that Valerie! maybe the website page did not refresh properly, and that is why it was still showing as available.
And perhaps, most people who are buying these toys could be because of what they look like - not necessarily because they are a certain brand or make.
Many times toys are sold with inaccurate descriptions because the seller has no idea what it is.
Have you tried to do generic searches on ebay? - maybe you will see these figures in big batches, bundles or joblots instead??
I wish you the best of luck though!
and I will keep an eye out for you here.

I know they are looking for their childhood toys. But I would certainly know who else is fan of the Soma Glow-in-the-Dark dinosaurs series. Because I see what they do, but I never actually met them, not even on the Internet. Anyway, when THEIR series is completed, I sure hope to have the chance to complete mine!
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 14, 2023 8:49 pm

SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK MEGALOSAURUS FINALLY MINE!!! It arrived this morning. Yes, a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to find another Soma Glow-in-the-dark Megalosaurus on Ebay, for a very reasonnable price! I am soooo happy. In this set, only the Stegosaurus is still missing. I hope to find it as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 14, 2023 11:26 pm

Congratulations and I hope you find the missing one.
Is it the first thing you see before turning the lights on?

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 15, 2023 9:47 pm

I have other glow-in-the dark figures. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

SOMA GLOW-IN-THE-DARK DINOSAURS SERIES COMPLETED!!!!

This morning, I received, via mail (bought on Ebay), the only missing dinosaur in my Soma Glow-in-the-dark Dinosaurs line from 1987: the bourgogne colored STEGOSAURUS. It is now proudly posing in Toy Animal Wiki, along with its friends.

I also took the liberty to take a group picture of the whole set. This photo is also in the Soma page on Toy Animal Wiki.

So, Toy Animal Wiki completed another set today.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Two K's in "dark".)
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 12:31 am

Well done on completing your set Valerie! It always feels good when that happens:)
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 pm

It is completed in the Toy Animal Wki site as well, as I mentioned earlier. The Soma page now looks good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soma toys: anyone knows them?   Soma toys: anyone knows them? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soma toys: anyone knows them?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2