Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection

Go down 
+25
costicuba
Steve170
spacelab
WhiteLightning Wolf
Advicot
rogerpgvg
landrover
Caracal
Kikimalou
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
A.R.Garcia
Tiermann
1claire
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Roger
Duck-Anch-Amun
Taos
halichoeres
Megaptera
Pardofelis
SUSANNE
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 pm

You could do something together, You would only missed nearly 65 millions years Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Great batch again, I'm pleased we chose the same common octopus.

Yes, the Papo one is probably better in general form, but it has an obvious anatomical error (2 siphons)

The same for me

Because of the large size, the colour and the skin structure, I always thought the Papo model could also be a Giant Pacific Octopus...
I know that Schleich once released a Giant Pacific Octopus and I've replaced it with the one from Papo.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Megaptera wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Great batch again, I'm pleased we chose the same common octopus.

Yes, the Papo one is probably better in general form, but it has an obvious anatomical error (2 siphons)

The same for me

Because of the large size, the colour and the skin structure, I always thought the Papo model could also be a Giant Pacific Octopus...
I know that Schleich once released a Giant Pacific Octopus and I've replaced it with the one from Papo.

The current Papo, CollectA, and Mojo (the current Mojo is an older M&B model that was also released by Schleich) are all common octopus. TAI currently has the Papo and Mojo/M&B/Scleich figures as Giant Pacific but those are incorrect.
The only figures by major companies reliably identifiable as the Giant Pacific is the Safari IC figure and maybe the Wild Safari blue and orange figures.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Ok, I have identified it as a Giant Pacific one, because of its size. Also in rel life it is only clearly identifiable because of the size and the geographic habitat.
Do you know some remarkable differences between the Common one and the Pacific one?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Megaptera wrote:
Ok, I have identified it as a Giant Pacific one, because of its size. Also in rel life it is only clearly identifiable because of the size and the geographic habitat.
Do you know some remarkable differences between the Common one and the Pacific one?

The identifications were made a while back by brontodocus, a professional zoologist on the ATF forum that specializes in marine invertebrates. I don't remember the nuances off-hand.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Ok, then I have to search for it at the ATF. Thank you for your help. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
a professional zoologist on the ATF forum that specializes in marine invertebrates

Oh, I didn't knew that! Do you think that he could be able to identify a photo that I've took of a marine shrimp in an aquarium?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Is the Giant Squid bendable?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Megaptera wrote:
Is the Giant Squid bendable?

Hi, Megaptera. No it is not. I think the Monterey Bay Aquarium figure has bendable arms/tentacles (it looks nearly the same but is bigger). I had the MBA figure years ago but I cannot remember. But the one showed here, the WS Sealife figure, is not.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Ok, thank you for the information Very Happy
I will add this model to my collection. I think it has nearly the same size like the Sperm Whale from CollectA...
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 am

The pancake devilfish is very interesting. I think i will hunt him

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 am

Very nice group displays. The mockingbird fits nicely with its relatives. The nudibranchs are beautiful. It would be great if the NTC set could be reissued. The wallaby is intriguing- good proportions and colors for a colorful species.

Cephalopods are a group of special interest to me, so it's exciting to see your selections. Their natural changeability allows for figures to be aesthetically varied but still realistic. The latest must-have is the Yowie cuttlefish (maybe I should get it online rather than leave it to chance). I should share my cephalopod collection- some remaining pictures will be my next photo priority.

Was your choice of the darker NTC Opisthoteuthis intentional or based on availability?

Also, I may be out of the loop- what are those exquisite Arboreum Artwork models?

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 1:39 pm

A.R.Garcia wrote:
Was your choice of the darker NTC Opisthoteuthis intentional or based on availability?

Also, I may be out of the loop- what are those exquisite Arboreum Artwork models?

Hi, Andy!!!

1. The Opisthoteuthis was based on availability, yes. I just ordered yesterday a Bennett's nudibranch (Yowie)

2. Arboreum Artwork are models made by forum member Zulkaisar (https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t16523-zulchat-sculpt-paint). Also goes by Panji zulkaisar on the ATF (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2427.0). I won't lie, the figures are rather expensive, but it gives you an opportunity to get rarely/never made species from Indonesia.
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks for the links. I completely missed those great subjects/pictures. Shocked   I love the paintwork on the colugo.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 4:21 pm

OK, as we reach the end of the year, I am winding down these initial groups of animals For November, we are looking at miscellaneous carnivores. In other words, Carnivora other than Canidae, Ursidae, and Felidae. Like the last couple months, I will do a group or few periodically throughout the month.

Today we are looking at the remaining Feliformia:

First up, the hyenas (Hyaenidae):

1. spotted hyena, Crocuta crocuta (Safari Ltd.)
2. striped hyena, Hyaena hyena (CollectA)
3. short-faced hyena, †Pachycrocuta brevirostris (Paleo-Creatures)

Next, the families Prionodontidae (Asiatic linsangs), Viverridae (civets), Eupleridae (Malagasy carnivorans), and Herpestidae (mongooses).
1. meerkat, Suricata suricatta (Papo)
2. fossa, Cryptoprocta feroz (Yowie Group)
3. spotted linsang, Prionodon pardicolor (Play Visions)
4. African civet, Civettictis civetta (CollectA)
5. Abyssinian genet, Genetta abyssinica (Play Visions)
6. banded palm civet, Hemigalus derbyanus (Play Visions)
7. masked palm civet, Paguma larvata (Kaiyodo)

Finally, while technically not a member of the order Carnivora, but this is as good as place as any to show the Safari Ltd. †Hyaenodon gigas.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 6:50 pm

very good acquisitions!.. I did'nt know this Pachycrocuta brevirostris version and hope you will make more pictures!..
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Caracal wrote:
very good acquisitions!.. I did'nt know this Pachycrocuta brevirostris version and hope you will make more pictures!..

Paleo-Creatures are custom figures made by Jetoar (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1477.0). If you navigate to later pages, you will see his newer stuff. If something is not immediately available, he can reproduce it easily.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks for showing the Spotted Hyena from Safari. It's really well made. Maybe, I will also add this one to my collection. Safari has a lot of true gems in its program
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 11:18 pm

thank you for the address Blaine! :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Continuing the miscellaneous carnivores with the families Ailuridae (red panda), Mephitidae (skunks and stink badgers), and Procyonidae (raccoons):
1. striped skunk, Mephitis mephitis (CollectA)
Timing is everything. I was considering the 2020 Safari Ltd figure, but after going back and forth, decided this CollectA one is better. Unfortunately, mine has rather poorly-applied paint to the head.
2. Sunda stink badger, Mydaus javanensis (Arboreum Artwork)
3. red panda, Ailurus fulgens (Bullyland)
One of the few Bullyland figures in my collection that is not an arachnid! As Bullyland continue to fade over recent years, this gem came out in 2016!
4. raccoon, Procyon lotor (Kaiyodo)
It was tough finding a good raccoon that was not to big. The Papo one would have been nice, but not readily available. This Kaiyodo one is perfect, albeit a bit small next to other miscellaneous carnivorans of mine.

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Wonderful. I also have the Red Panda from Bullyland. It is one of the last masterpieces of Bullyland.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 10:22 pm

My red panda is also the Bullyland, very good figure. I have a few striped skunks, including the rare Safari from 2000 and the CollectA but my favorite is Mojö's. I think the Papo racoon is quite nice but a little large.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 pm

I looked into the Mojo skunk; very nice indeed. I am quite happy with this CollectA one, I just got one with a bad paint job. I had the 2000 Safari skunk years ago when I was a generalist prior to 2007 and honestly I didn't like it, even back then. It reminded me of bin-style 'chinamal' skunk toys I had as a child.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 pm

The old Safari is not as nice as Mojö's or CollectA's. My collection is not synoptic as yours because some animals I tend to have more than a single representative. Skunks I have a few, the Safari, the rare Bullyland, Mojö's, CollectA's and the Play Visions that is a different species. I also had the Schleich 2012 but I don't have it anymore. Papo never released one, let's hope they release one with Papo top quality.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
Page 12 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next