Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

caracal's collection

Go down 
+26
bmathison1972
Jill
George
Joliezac
Advicot
Kikimalou
sunny
Bonnie
Taos
RtasVadumee
spacelab
costicuba
Steve170
rogerpgvg
Tiermann
SUSANNE
75senta75
Pardofelis
landrover
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Megaptera
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Roger
Caracal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

caracal's collection - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 am

Pardofelis wrote:
!

The Schleich kudu is perfect in scultpting, but it's ridiculously small, of the size of a sheep.

I think you exaggerate.. It's a bit taller than the Schleich oryx and almost as big as Collecta's Sable male.  I would also want it a bit bigger but it looks OK with the Collecta antelopes. Let's say it's not a big individual Kudu.. I actually like this figure very much!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 am

Real kudus are bigger than sables and also bigger than bongos, almost as big as giant elands. Schleich kudu is noticeably smaller than CollectA's bongo and eland. Papo kudu is the perfect-in-size one! :) But I like more the legs of the Schleich one (and of course the horns)

Anyway, because of these issues I don't have none of them in my collection!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 10:11 am

Laughing in french "un choix cornélien"!..
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 10:24 am

I always love to talk and disagree about size with Pardo bounce

Caracal wrote:
..yes and it's why I waited a long time before bying it and the eland too but they are so beautiful and easy to shoot outside! :)

What's wrong with the eland ?! It is slightly larger than all other antelopes from CollectA and Schleich but that's just fine since elands are by far the largest "antelopes" in the world. A male can weigh up to one ton while a bongo for example cannot weigh more than 400 kg and the CollectA eland is not much larger than the CollectA bongo.

Of course, the eland would look too large next to a Schleich Elephant but it is perfectly sized when compared with most of the other antelopes, including Schleich kudu and now, I am going to deal with Pardo Twisted Evil

Pardofelis wrote:
Real kudus are bigger than sables and also bigger than bongos, almost as big as giant elands. Schleich kudu is noticeably smaller than CollectA's bongo and eland. Papo kudu is the perfect-in-size one! :) But I like more the legs of the Schleich one (and of course the horns)

Anyway, because of these issues I don't have none of them in my collection!

A kudu bull (although Schleich model doesn't have balls...) weighs 190–270 kg, with a maximum of 315 kg, and stands up to 160 cm tall at the shoulder. The head-and-body length is 185–245 cm.

As I said before, an eland can reach almost one ton and stands approximately 180 cm at the shoulder. I is typically between 220 and 290 cm in head-and-body length.

Thus, an eland and a kudu ARE NOT the same size. An eland is a bit longer and taller than a kudu but it is much heavier (up to three times heavier !) and I think CollectA's and Schleich's figures are just nicely proportionate with one another since the Kudu is noticeably thinner than the eland. To the contrary Papo kudu is so large it is not even the same scale as these two : it is even taller than CollectA's eland and as bulky. If it was real, it would be a one ton kudu ! Shocked

A kudu is closer to a bongo as far as weight is concerned. A bongo is 122–128 cm shoulder height and weighs on average 240 kg and up to 405 kg. It is then not as tall as a kudu but roughly the same weight. However, CollectA's bongo is just slightly smaller than the eland, as bulky and it is taller than Schleich's kudu ! As a result, the CollectA bongo is the badly proportionate one, not Schleich kudu which works nicely with the eland.

As a conclusion, Papo kudu is way too big for the eland but does work better with the bongo. Schleich kudu is too small for the bongo but fits better with the eland. A perfect kudu would be the old Schleich one which is smaller than Papo's but larger than the more recent one. However, it is of course, less realistic.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But even with this one, the bongo will still look too big, just as the nyala or the waterbuck...

(Sorry for the pictures quality, I took them very quickly, just for this topic, and the light is not good in the morning)

You could then argue that the not correctly sized one is the eland, which should be larger to fit better with the bongo, the waterbuck or even Papo kudu and you would be right... As I am too !

As far as animal replicas are concerned, scale is not an exact science and you will have to do without many wonderful models if you want your figures to be PERFECTLY compatible sizewise. As far as they do not look ridiculous next to each other, I think this is just fine, and it happens with the Schleich kudu in my opinion. I think this is a better choice than Papo's because, as you said, it is more beautiful and more realistic and I would not want my kudu to be larger than my eland if I were you. Since you seem to like this figure very much, you should try to get it because the kudu is one of the most iconic antelopes and having none in your collection is a real lack.

Anyway, it would still not be as disproportionate as your (our) Diana monkey Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Caracal wrote:
Megaptera wrote:
Amazing, the Kudu from Papo really is a great model. But it's too large for my collection.

..yes and it's why I waited a long time before bying it and the eland too but they are so beautiful and easy to shoot outside! :)

Embarassed Oops! I wanted to to speak about Papo Koudou and ORYX which are both far too big, but I wrote "eland"!..

I love CollectA eland which is perfect but could have been for sure a little bigger!..
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Actually we tought in similar way, you think that you disagree with me but I think that we're more agree that you think. What I dislike about Schleich kudu is to be smaller than the bongo and mountain nyala that I already have and even worse: smaller (or same sized??) than my "in my wishlist" Safari lesser kudu!! So it strikes me more to have all Tragelaphus in different scales, than to have two different genus in different scales. And also because I'm more restrictive with some species than others (for example I accepted oversized CollectA babirusa because... it's a babirusa! Who could not resist a babirusa???). Since almost the begin of my collection I accepted, as said endless times in this forum and also said to you, a lot of scale divergence in my models because otherwise I would have alsmost no interesting species. But I would wish that all these tragelaphines are more proportionate to each other, just as superperfect in scale as the Diana monkey is with all other figures in the world, with a perfection in scale by far superior than every one of the figures of your collection Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm

I love it when the Diana monkey is coming in and out on all of your disputes! Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm

Me too Laughing

I have to recognise Pardo, that the Schleich greater kudu is not compatible at all with Safari's lesser kudu... that's why I had to give up on getting it Sad

However, it is important that the greater kudu and the eland are in the same scale since they are closer from each other than the greater kudu is to the lesser one :

Quote :
Elands, including the common eland (Taurotragus oryx), are embedded within this genus meaning that Taurotragus must be subsumed into Tragelaphus to avoid paraphyly.

Source : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a nice picture of all Tragelaphus together (including the giant eland) but I don't know if I want to post it here, since I have already posted too many pics I wanted to keep for my collection topic which I am planning to create next week... Indeed, you told me you would like to see my collection and I have good news for you : you are going to see it very soon ! cheers
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm

We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd, confusing or ridiculous) Idea
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Don't be worry Spacelab, it doesn't matter! :)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Sorry for the off-topic mon ami Razz

I just wanted to add that I had been looking some minutes at my collection, and concluded... that the Taurotragus and the Schleich Tragelaphus are good-sized, is the CollectA Tragelaphus what are too big compared with the average of my models! In fact, I was adding and deleting the bongo from my most earliest wishlist since the very begin of my collection due to the too big size, but as my collection grew and size matter less and less, I've finally bought it when found in a toy store :) And I love it (after being repainted), as much as I suppose that Caracal love his bongo! It's a masterpiece and super beautiful (except when viewed from front, with these wiiiiiiidely separated legs hehe)

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 pm

spacelab wrote:
We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd,  confusing or ridiculous)  Idea

How a word composed of "goat+deer" can mean this? Razz

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

Pardofelis wrote:
spacelab wrote:
We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd,  confusing or ridiculous)  Idea

How a word composed of "goat+deer" can mean this? Razz

It doesn't mean this etymologically but it is only used to describe situations like these. We rarely use it for the animal in neo-greek.

Tragelaphus (it's actually pronounced Trayelaphos  *ye like in yes*) is a MALE goat + deer, very common and important animals in Ancient Greece.
The word was first used to describe a mythical creature that was a mix of these two, a creature that is over the limits of biological species.  Tragelaphus is a creature that is impossible to exist in a neat world. It's the allegory of the incomprehensible, the obscure, the contradictory, the inharmonious.

So, that's how... Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 am

Very Happy very interesting, thank you Spacelab!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Your pic helps me a lot. I will add the Papo kudu in my wishlist. It looks that it is a Zambesi Kudu.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am

happy to have helped you Andreas! :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 11:53 am

now deers and allies:

the models I expose, big scale:

.. but I like the previous Schleich stag too, in spite of its too thick antlers:

my Bullyland models with Sfari ltd moose and a Schleich doe (on the top right) at a more little scale:

You will notice the moose antlers of the reindeers!

here almost all my 1/32 scale cervidae I expose:

from left,

1st raw: 2 Clairet red deers, 2 Starlux roedeers, 1 Elastolin fallow deer
2nd raw: 2 unknown roedeers, 2 Plaho-Marolin roedeers, 2 Starlux fallow deers
3rd raw: 4 Starlux red deers, 1 Britains red deer, 4 Elastolin red deers
4th raw: 1 Starlux moose, 2 Elastolin mooses, 1 Starlux Megaceros, 1 Acedo reindeer, 2 Starlux reindeers

now by herds:

mooses:

red deers:

roedeers:

fallow deers and megaceros:

reindeers:

Unknown species (fallow deers? Chitals?..) from Singapore:

Jean Hoeffler moose and red deers:

Last edited by Caracal on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:14 pm; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Phantastic deer collection

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 pm

It's a joy to see your collection topic- I have just scrolled back through so many pages of soooooo many fantastic models! cheers cheers Your cat collection is amazing, they look so impressive altogether, with so many beautiful models! Especially the Papo big cats, they are just so realistic!
And all your canines- what a wonderful pack, so many lovely vintage figures I had never see before, and so many variations- wow! cheers cheers
So glad you updated it with this herd of deer- such a variety of types and ages but again, it makes them look so wonderful altogether! Very Happy I love the little fawns, and I would love to know the brand of the lovely stag lowering his head in the first photo, at the front just left of the fawn? Very Happy
This is such a great topic and I'm really looking forward to seeing more- wished I joined earlier but luckily I can see it now, I always love a good collection topic! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Thank you Andreas! :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Bonnie wrote:
It's a joy to see your collection topic- I have just scrolled back through so many pages of soooooo many fantastic models! cheers cheers Your cat collection is amazing, they look so impressive altogether, with so many beautiful models! Especially the Papo big cats, they are just so realistic!
And all your canines- what a wonderful pack, so many lovely vintage figures I had never see before, and so many variations- wow! cheers cheers
So glad you updated it with this herd of deer- such a variety of types and ages but again, it makes them look so wonderful altogether! Very Happy I love the little fawns, and I would love to know the brand of the lovely stag lowering his head in the first photo, at the front just left of the fawn? Very Happy
This is such a great topic and I'm really looking forward to seeing more- wished I joined earlier but luckily I can see it now, I always love a good collection topic! Very Happy

Many thanks for your nice comments Bonnie! Very Happy

I suppose you mean the fallow deer just on the left of the fawn, it's from CollectA.. :)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 4:04 pm

Caracal wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

Many thanks for your nice comments Bonnie! Very Happy

I suppose you mean the fallow deer just on the left of the fawn, it's from CollectA.. :)
Yes, thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 pm

Wonderful collection of Cervids! Applause Applause

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 pm

Fabulous deer collection. In the photos with red deer, I think the Hausser Elastolin (70mm) is meant to be a roedeer, but yet, sizewise it's better as a 1:32 scale red deer.

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Oh, what a great collection! The models, the pictures...! I love you drunken

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

caracal's collection
Page 8 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next