Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare

Go down 
+25
Duck-Anch-Amun
Shanti
Advicot
RtasVadumee
costicuba
spacelab
Steve170
Megaptera
landrover
Caracal
rogerpgvg
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
75senta75
Kikimalou
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
Pardofelis
Taos
SUSANNE
Tiermann
zirkoon
Roger
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 5:40 pm

cheers cheers

Interesting figure, I like the shape of his neck.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 pm

WOW ! I think I have never seen this model before, - it is GREAT cheers

I love the pictures too, - first he comes out the den where he has been sleeping, - then up on a large rock to get a good view, and then trotting along in the green, green grass to search for his brekfast Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 6:20 pm

I dunno. AAA animals just do not appeal to me. They are overly textured, crudely painted, and often having glaring, usually red, eyes. I have some of their arthropods and invertebrates, but since they are usually cast from actual specimens, they naturally look realistic. But I never liked their birds and mammals. Not sure why, just no personal appeal I guess :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 8:47 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
I dunno. AAA animals just do not appeal to me. They are overly textured, crudely painted, and often having glaring, usually red, eyes. I have some of their arthropods and invertebrates, but since they are usually cast from actual specimens, they naturally look realistic. But I never liked their birds and mammals. Not sure why, just no personal appeal I guess :)

Many of them are quite old, style of ( action) toys in the '80 , I think.
I find them charming, but fortunately it is great that we all don't have the same taste Wink

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

Many of them are quite old, style of  ( action) toys in the '80 , I think.
I find them charming, but fortunately it is great that we all don't have the same taste  Wink

Yes, a lot of it is they are a product of the era they were made in.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 9:19 pm

I agree with Susanne, I think they are a product of the earlier years for this hobby. I also think for many of them, despite some cartoony qualities, they also have a sense of realism that I find missing in many modern brands (like many older Schleich or Safari). Though I can't quite place my finger on exactly what that is. Even the specimen cast figures can have unrealistic paint jobs though. Nonetheless, most of AAA figures are welcome to my shelves.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 am

Although the mouth/face look a bit odd to me, I don't remember most brands getting the long neck and rounded ears- this does. While not a 'pretty' model, I find it an interesting one. Not one that's interchangeable with a crude wolf like so many are! It's immediately recognizable as a hyena.

I think Susanne's right, they reflect their era. And for then, they were good models. AAA often doesn't really appeal to me, but some models I do enjoy and they're not 'eww yuck' to me.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 am

A nice hyena

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 pm

Yes,I agree that AAA were of their time and for many of us-me included-who didn't have Schleich or Safari avaiable they were a lot better than the made in Hong Kong models and also relatively chaep which sadly at the time was a major factor!

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks again everyone.

Since this hyena spurred such discussion, I decided to share the others that I have. Another adult hyena.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is he/she less scary surrounded by flowers?

This is the one that drives me crazy. It is labelled hyena pup on its belly, but I feel like its more of a wild dog pup at best... thoughts?

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 5:48 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 pm

The AAA "hyena" pup is supposed to be a baby African wild dog but it definitely doesn't look like one, and looks more like a domestic dog.

Great photos, in your glorious garden!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 pm

I have to admit, this second hyena looks better than the first, but it still has that AAA style I don't care for LOL ;-)
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 1:27 am

Now that hyena is a good one to me. It's immediately recognizable as a hyena, and a spotted one at that- even if it were unpainted.

That pup though... urgh. Looks like a domestic dog pup, and not a really good one at that. The nose looks weird.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 2:09 am

Thank you everyone! You have seconded my thoughts. Wink the pup I think was designed very similar to a domestic dog in most considerations, intended to be a wild dog pup (though a poor representation), but also has some hyena characteristics like its odd nose as Kelly mentioned (blunt, fleshy looking with nothing but slits in it which is more hyena like than canine). Overall, its an odd chimaera animal figure, but in my collection it has been adopted by the wild dogs. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am

So I think the AAA style works really not appealing with some animals but it works incredibly realistic with a few others. When they adopt the cute style they often fail, but when they represent creepy animals, they always give that special touch that makes them look somewhat more realistic. This last hyena is surely not perfect but we can't find many hyena figures with that "unarranged" lookAAA gave to it.About your pup, it is good to remember that AAA models were produced to many other companies, thus they range is quite modular. The African wild dog, here your picture
was sometimes marketed as a hyena and it is obviously an African wild dog sculpt.

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 am

AAA were some of the first figures I ever got in my collection, and as I hate to reject figures (and obviously the remembrance of many happy hours playing with them) they will be in my collection until the day I die

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Wonderful models , presented with so beautiful photos.
I like your idea to show them like that Applause
Thank you for doing it Paige cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 pm

Thank you again everyone!

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:13 pm

A day late but here we are! The old safari elk bull. One of the figures I have had since early childhood (I got my first figures when I was 3). I would LOVE for safari to make a cow and calf for the current bull, anybody second me?

King of the Tetons! Wink (a "local" mountain range).

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:50 pm

This was my first elk and I got mine when I was about three too, when a family member whom lives in Washington brought a big box of Safari when she came over.

It is a lovely figure and I believe mine has very slightly different painting. Regarding the current elk bull it would be nice to give him a family as I don't believe elk cows are made at all by any brand.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 11:38 pm

I also have this elk as the representative of the species in my collection although I confess I like best the newer version.
I think it is a good idea to release a doe, often does of several species look very similar but the elk doe has the advantage of being differently coloured. The problem is that deer are very hard to sell.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Thank you everyone! I know deer are hard to sell, but I still hope for a cow and calf for the elk bull nonetheless. Moose cows are rare, but elk ones are nonexistant. I will also hope for a mule deer family also! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Yes, I am totally with you on mule deer!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   50183 - Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next