Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Civet/Genet model

Go down 
+4
endogenylove
Roger
SUSANNE
Taos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 am

I have this model.I have looked in TAI and its not present.Its quite large and hollow and its got made in China on the bottom.Also on the bottom is Vivericula indica(this would make it a Small Indian civet)Is it another version of Nayabs large Genet model?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 7:02 am

What a great find affraid

It is absolutely wonderful cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 am

At a certain time, Wild Republic Sold small boxes with a pair of figures. Large and small. Large figures were similar to those sold in WR Polybags. I remember seeing a civet on it and it was a sitting one. .However, it was a long time ago and I haven't saved the picture. We assumed, without any evidence, that the large WR hollow figures were Nayab models. It was when Wild Republic was not producing anymore their K&M marked figures and replaced for other non marked Made in China ones.
Notice that some Polybag models are also marked with scientific name while I am not aware Nayab are. Meanwhile, figures from Wild Republic Wildpedia sets were exactly the same we know from Nayab tube sized figures.
So, it remained always a big confusion between the pair of "Nayab" genets and Wild Republic civets.
I will post those we have listed at the Toy Animal Wiki as being Nayab models and if I find anything more or any other member does it, we can clear things up on this topic.

Large Nayab Genet

Small Nayab Genet

Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 am

After investigating the best online source for animal figures, the STS-Forum, now I am a little more confuse. So, the large on TAW is the small model I was referring. Laughing I'm quoting part of Doc's post from a long time ago.

Dr.Narayanan wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen , here I present them with few walkarounds  Very Happy

INDIAN CIVETS [ Vivericula Indica ]

little one
(...)

Admin
SUSANNE

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 11:37 am

One more lovely than the other Very Happy

It would have been an advantage it they all three has the same "thing" beside them to show the size Wink

The lego-block ( first used by Andreas ) is such a great invention, because most of us know what size it has Laughing

Roger, it is always so interesting when you showel out from your enormous knowledge Applause Very Happy

endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 12:10 pm

I have the two larger civets, I can post photos with a comparison object. I do not have a lego on hand, but I can use a standard size matchbox?

endogenylove

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 12:28 pm

I don't know how helpful this will be to solving the mystery, but here is all the information I have. I do not yet have the small nayab genet, but I have the two larger figures, both listed where i got them as Viverricula indica, small Indian civet. The smaller one is only marked "Made in China", while the larger is marked both as "Made in China" and with the scientific name. I ordered both at the same time, and both are made of the same soft, hollow plastic. They have similar facial features and both have fairly prominent joints between the head and the rest of the body. They are clearly made by the same company. The smaller one (including tail) measures 8.5 cm high and 9 cm long, and the larger (inlcuding tail) measures 8 cm high and 14.5 cm long. I have included a photo of both and a standard size matchbox (3 by 5.25 cm) and a second photo comparing them to the kaiyodo masked palm civet and the playvisions "Binturong" (actually an asian palm civet)

Admin
SUSANNE

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 pm

This is just great !!!!! cheers

Thankyou very much ! Now I can see the sizes and understand much better Applause Applause Very Happy

They are simply melting my heart drunken I love you Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks Susanne, you're always very kind but the power is in our community as you can see from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] posts too.

I will take the opportunity to clarify about the small genets.
Starting with this Nayab catalogue page. We can see there are two genet figures. They look like one is a mirrored picture from the other and the sizes provided do really overlap.

We can find Christophe's figure on first group of 36 assorted Wild Animals. I am posting here again the picture. I know this model also from Isidro's and Jean-Luc's collections, for instance.

Now look at my model! I haven't mirrored it, they are indeed two different models.
You can find it on catalogue page, in the second group of 24 assorted Mini Forest Animals.
Now you can ask me a gain, why is it not on TAW yet? It is probably because I give more time to the wiki than to my own collection. pale
... and seeing that these two groups of assorted figures from Nayab are not the same, I see I will have a lot more to do.

A special picture to Susanne! Andreas invented the Lego block and I have built a Lego civilization, have you ever heard about the Pyramid of Genetikaka... or is it Civetikaka?

All ancient civilizations ahve their misteries and it is a question of keeping the archaelogical work, digging and digging and I am sure some more good surprises will be found... study

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes this is the figure I received of Taylor and I thought it didn't look like the TAI photo and now I now why

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Roger wrote:

A special picture to Susanne! Andreas invented the Lego block and I have built a Lego civilization, have you ever heard about the Pyramid of Genetikaka... or is it Civetikaka?

All ancient civilizations ahve their misteries and it is a question of keeping the archaelogical work, digging and digging and I am sure some more good surprises will be found... study

cheers lol! lol! Applause Applause
Crocodile

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 pm

When you have an unknown 'made in China' animal, and you have ruled-out Toy Major, AAA, and K&M, always think Nayab :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Apparently, nobody was uploading Nayab Mini Forest Animals because there was some confusion with the Small Wild Animals.
I need someone with better sight to check it in a more precise way. I assumed all 36 already entered are from the Small Wild Animals set, the group of 36 on catalogue page.
I opened a new page to it that you can see here.

Now, I also opened a new page to the 24 Mini Forest Animals and I already entered two figures on it. My genet and Paige's skunk.
You can find it here!
3 or 4 models are indistinguishable to me, they may be the same but it is better to suspect because most are really distinct even if the differences are quite subtle.
Now, if someone has pictures of the Mini Forest animals missing, we already know where to list them. study

Here another example, besides the genets, although these two are easy to distinguish even if the species identification is ambiguous.

Paige's Spotted skunk? from the 24 assorted Mini Forest Animals

Tim's Striped Polecate from the 36 assorted (small) Wild Animals

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 5:09 am

Thank you all with helping solve this for me!! Smile Smile

Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 am

Now I confirmed the iten number of the large walking genet.
Again on STS-Forum. Laughing
In October 2011,  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] opened a topic about a unknown [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

castlerigg wrote:

These are the latest additions to our Ark. We found them on eBay. They are plastic, marked "MADE IN CHINA".

Does anyone here know anything about their maker?

Sue and Lesley
castlerigg

Our powerful Googler friend [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

skysthelimit wrote:
Andreas is right  Wink

Item Nr. 143

Unfortunately, the catalogue page is not available anymore but the numbering is consistent with Nayab and Robert is a more than faithful source.
However, I don't know if the species was identified on it. The title of the topic is "Nayab Linsang Pair?" ... the question mark is still there and the picture is called "linsang (1).png" what means they were identified as linsangs by Sue and Lesley before Robert's post.

Concluding, it is definitely a Nayab model [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but we don't know how it was marketed regarding the species identification.
We also continue without an official information about the figure that started this topic. Laughing

For reference, a picture of a banded linsang.

Picture is externally linked and credited to Roland Seitre

... and a spotted linsang.
Externally linked from Wikipedia

Country/State : Luxembourg

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Very interesting as I have the large model and the small one (from the 36 assorted animals). As species collector, I would prefer when we have two different species Laughing
However reading this thread, we have already 4 possible species for those figurines:

- common genet
- small indian civet
- spotted linsang
- banded linsang

Maybe one of our experts have to help us study

But those Nayab/Wild Republic animals will stay a mystery Laughing I can´t take closer pics now, but if you have a look here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], you can see a large and a small version of the marten or civet study
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Wow,
here is a real Civet party Very Happy cheers
Just to say, that I also have these to models : the walking small one and the sitting big one.
I also have some other animals of this line... They all goes on couples : small and big.
And the small models doesn`t look like babies... just smaller versions of the animals :)

If you need also my photos, let me know Wink

I love the special photo for Susanne : the Lego Pyramid .. haha lol!

Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyFri Jun 12, 2020 10:30 am

Kosta and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I will ask you some questions once this topic is far from being resolved. We even are not sure about the species and we are only talking about these civets. Though, I think the banded linsang is out of battle. About brand it seems they are all Nayab but Wild Republic also sold them. Let's keep with Nayab once we have some official pictures showing them. Some questions:

1. About large figures, can anyone confirm if the lettering of the made in China marking is the exact same style in both large and small models?  

2. Kosta, have you acquired any pair together? I mean the large and smaller hollow figure in a same batch or set?
All the large Nayab on TAW are in this page, we are surely interested in pictures of figures not presented there. Very Happy

Now about the small bulk models. I have a dozen of the small 36 assorted and only one of the 24 mini assorted.
Some are hard to tell from the catalogue picture, but I weighed each model and all those from the small 36 assortment weigh invariably 8 or 9 grams. The civet from the mini 24 assortment weighs only 5 grams. Obviously a single figure may not be valid to identify a univers of 24models.but it could be a good indicator to determine to which assortment each figure belongs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], is there any chance that you compare the weight of your marten/civets to see if they corroborate this conjecture?
Sorry for all these questions, they may not be interesting for collecting purposes but they will help me a lot to sort things correctly on TAW.

endogenylove

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyFri Jun 12, 2020 4:55 pm

I can confirm that the lettering is the exact same on both larger models.

Country/State : Luxembourg

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 4:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Sorey, in the moment I don´t have access to a lot of my figurines. I will help later this year...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 5:30 am

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]! I think it is safe to assume they are really pairs of figures and Nayab models.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], no hurries, take all the time you need. :) Regarding small figurines, it seems the set with 36 models is much more common in our collections than the set with 24.
Here a Wild Republic bucket countaining these figures.

costicuba

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi Roger,
yes, I bought these models from a bulgarian seller a long time ago ... they are not complete serie , but I got some pairs together.
Also maybe my models can be different with colours , from these from other collectors, becouse like we know, these models were sold under different brands .. and I have no idea is it Nayab or Wild Republic , or... scratch
Were do you want me to show the photos of mine, when I make them ? here ? or on the topic for TAW photos ? or on individual topic ? :)

Admin
Roger

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptySun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 am

costicuba wrote:
Hi Roger,
yes, I bought these models from a bulgarian seller a long time ago ... they are not complete serie , but I got some pairs together.
Also maybe my models can be different with colours , from these from other collectors, becouse like we know, these models were sold under different brands .. and I have no idea is it Nayab or Wild Republic , or...  scratch
Were do you want me to show the photos of mine, when I make them ? here ? or on the topic for TAW photos ?  or on individual topic ? :)

Kosta, it is safe to tell they are Nayab, Wild Republic just used these moulds exaustively as many other brands did. I was tempted to rename and reuse this topic once it has a lot of useful information but maybe it is a good idea that you open a new topic on Nayab section where we can discuss exclusively about these large hollow models. Idea Thanks for your dedication! Very Happy

costicuba

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 12:05 am

Ok, the job is done ! Very Happy
You can check them [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wink

Civet/Genet model Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civet/Genet model   Civet/Genet model Empty

Back to top Go down

Civet/Genet model
Page 1 of 1