Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)

Go down 
+29
bmathison1972
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
Bloodrayne
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
George
RtasVadumee
Jill
Burgerenby
sunny
Seeway
Markus
spacelab
Mitsukuni
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
Taos
SUSANNE
Bonnie
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
widukind
Loon
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you, and yeah, a Mojö ostrich would be something special. Their recent figures have all been pretty great, and have had a crispness in terms of detail that I don't think any other brand really captures.
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 am

Alright, now it's time I shared the last member of the  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] box. Not to bury the lead, but I gotta say, this is my favorite item from the package, and something I've been wanting for a long time.

I've made it no secret that I love Spotted Hyenas; I have mentioned that for my research paper last semester, I wrote up on the negative portrayals of the spotted hyena. That really made me fall in love with this species, and led my family travel over 6 hours to visit the Oakland Zoo, the closest place in California that kept the species. So, if you'll let me, I'm going to share a few photos of the real duo I encountered before the custom. Burgerenby's package arrived while we exploring the beautiful bay area, so this is in the name of chronological purity.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
They're looking up because someone let their kid bang on the railing of the observation deck, and then some guy started dangling Cheetos over them...
After pacing around waiting for food with no results, the hyenas found another potential source of sustenance.

As I said, I'm in love with spotted hyenas, unfortunately, the same can't be said for a lot of the toys made of this species. Both the Safari and Schleich figures suffer from odd proportions and a stereotypically gnarly appearance. Papo's....well, I don't know what to think about that one. Mojö, aside from a slightly too large head, has created the first hyena figure that didn't feel like a caricature. The only issue I had with it was the paint job. Usually, that wouldn't be the biggest deal. A lot of Mojö figures don't have complex paint schemes; but, it's the spotted hyena, so to me, it is a big deal. Luckily, I'm friends with a very a talented customizer, Burgerenby, who was kind enough to take up the challenge. So, at long last, I present the newest member of the ever-growing clan:
Either this is a comparison, or they're trying to scent each other...
My "clan"
"Make mine a CUB sandwich."
Hopefully, the Southlands kangaroo buck doesn't find himself in a similar situation...

Again, I have to send so many thanks to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for this fantastic package, and for an amazing set of customs. I'm so glad I finally got to experience the work and talent that before was limited to photos. There's always something great about receiving customs, I think it's the fact that they're one of a kind, and when it's from a friend, and of an animal you love, I hink it's even more special.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 9:21 am

Wow, such a stunning custom hyena from such a talented artist! cheers cheers
I love those realistic colours, all those browns, it really brings out the texture of the model much better than the original figure! Very Happy It also seems a little slimmer than the original, I'm not sure whether this is an effect of the paint or a clever adjustment but it looks much more like a wild Hyena now! Applause sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 12:32 pm

Really nice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 am

I am so glad you are happy with the outcome and I love all the fun diorama shots you took with the clan, especially the Lion King reference and the one where they all surround the marabou that just doesn't want to stand.

Bonnie wrote:
It also seems a little slimmer than the original, I'm not sure whether this is an effect of the paint or a clever adjustment but it looks much more like a wild Hyena now!

It actually is just the paint this time, no resculpting or carving done.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 6:44 am

Oh, excellent bear and loon (and drawing) and... and...that hyena especially is fantastic! No surprise it is a masterpiece, congratulations on all the amazing new models and the excellent new custom hyena!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 8:40 am

When Mojö Fun was presented on forum, that were a few figures that made me believe Mojö was a very promising brand. Among them, the hyena was a special highlight. I always liked a lot this sculpt and the design is completely different from all your hyenas on market. It also avoids the cartoonish style that manyy brands use to represent this animal. with a painting that makes justice to the sculpt, I have no doubts it is the nicest hyena model we can get.

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 10:39 am

Thank you everyone for the comments. The mojö hyena is really something, especially with the great new paint job.

I have received new figures since that last post, but, instead of sharing those, I wanted to talk about a particularly problematic lot I recently won.
You might notice the Papo "Llama" or guanaco, which is a figure I've been after for a bit now. The final cost for the whole set was $50, which I thought was pretty decent for a rare figure and some other figures I was interested in.

Weirdly, the Guanaco didn't quite match any of the pictures online. Burgerenby even pointed out the weird coloration of the Papo Ostrich, which I just chalked up to being a variant.

Then, it arrived...

Unfortunately, the vast majority of figures in the box were bootlegs or no-brand models.
Well, I guess the lot was listed simply as "animal figures" with no brands mentioned, so I can't hold a grudge against the seller. It's my own fault.

Even the sought after Guanaco was a fake, looking far too shiny.

I only owned one real version of these knock offs, the CollectA Anaconda. Here's a comparison:
Really, this one could trick some people, aside from the really poor head.

Here are the only "real" figures in the lot, at least, to my knowledge. Mostly Safari, and they're all pretty nice. Feeling these after feeling the fakers, there's definitely a tangible difference. I actually quite like the turkey and the gray wolf, and even the raccoon, despite it's hugeness. Keep an eye out for the Papo hyena, this won't be the last time you see them in this thread*wink, wink*
This little pig is real too.

Honestly, it's my fault for not looking more closely. And, well, at least I got a somewhat silly story out of the experience. Definitely will look twice now when buying online.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 2:27 pm

Now these knockoffs are almost identical to the real models and it is really a new paramount in this hobby, especially for collectors that buy lots. Even if they are almost as good as the real thing, it is always a disappointment. Fortunately, you have many great figures in that lot and not everything is lost.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 6:03 pm

That's a shame, as you thought you were getting official brand models. The good news, is they appear to be fairly good reproductions, not like many bootlegs who lower the quality drastically. At the very least you could probably trade them or get them customized if you don't want them.

As for the branded models, you have some nice ones! The wolf is one of the better figures on the market!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2021 7:19 pm

I am still baffled by how close these look to the originals, if it wasn't for the ostrich I wouldn't have had any suspicions at all but even then I thought at first it was just a manufacturing error because the others looked so close to the official ones.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 3:55 am

Wow- bootlegs or not, the fish are goegeous!
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 5:17 am

Great lot, with nice figures . congrats.

I like especially the raccoon cheers

Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really hate just replying with such a blanket statement, but I've been so busy with summer classes this past week, I haven't had the time. So, let's change that after this post.

So, after a couple of weeks stuck in limbo, my MiniZoo box has finally arrived! And, with it, a couple of the new Mojö figures, the Smilodon and the female Gorilla.

I really haven't had time to put together thoughts on these two (as of writing, I only opened them about 15 minutes ago), so this'll mostly be (not great) pictures.

Still, these two really are fantastic. This is the first smilodon figure that really feels like a living animal and the gorilla is just amazing, so much personality captured in the pose and face sculpt.

As much as I would have loved to talk more about these two, they unfortunately arrived the same day as a much, much larger and more long-awaited package. Not to discredit them at all, but, this is something too exciting. I have to talk about sooner than later...
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 am

Nice additions

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 10:21 am

Oh, I love the smilodon!!! I already liked the previous version but this one is stupendous! A real smilodon and a very beautiful piece. Here I go again and once more, I am not a collector of prehistoric animals but no way to resist to some of them.
I honestly would love to see a comparative topic between this smilodon and Papo's rendition. Papo's are not the best but the most addictive but sometimes it is good to be aware how disregarded Mojö Fun is when we see fabulous figures like this smilodon and that very serious gorilla lady.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Nice additions,especially the Smilodon.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Beautiful new Mojo additions, that Smilodon is wonderful and the new gorilla really amazed me too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 3:08 am

Beautiful Smilodon, and yay Lego man lol!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 3:34 am

Two truly amazing models! I can't wait to get them myself. Congratulations!

Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 6:50 am

widukind wrote:
Nice additions
Thank you!

Roger wrote:
Oh, I love the smilodon!!! I already liked the previous version but this one is stupendous! A real smilodon and a very beautiful piece. Here I go again and once more, I am not a collector of prehistoric animals but no way to resist to some of them.
I honestly would love to see a comparative topic between this smilodon and Papo's rendition. Papo's are not the best but the most addictive but sometimes it is good to be aware how disregarded Mojö Fun is when we see fabulous figures like this smilodon and that very serious gorilla lady.

I definitely think that would be an interesting comparison. As with most of their prehistoric animals, Papo's Smilodon are not that amazing, but definitely interesting to look at.

Taos wrote:
Nice additions,especially the Smilodon.
Thank you.

Bonnie wrote:
Beautiful new Mojo additions, that Smilodon is wonderful and the new gorilla really amazed me too! Very Happy
Thanks. Yeah, the female gorilla definitely is a great figure. Very reminiscent of Terry Norton's chimp female, which was also outstanding.

pipsxlch wrote:
Beautiful Smilodon, and yay Lego man lol!
Ha, thank you. I figured so many pictures on the Animal Toy Wiki use Lego minifigs, it would be a helpful size comparison.

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Two truly amazing models! I can't wait to get them myself. Congratulations!
Agreed, they really stand out. You won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 7:12 am

The figure I was so excited about in yesterday's post is now, finally, up on my shelves (or, well, under it). I've been waiting for this one since the beginning of this year; THE holy grail: Kaiyodo's Blue Whale.

But first, oh my god, the box this came in is gigantic.
I started coughing in excitement when I pulled up to my driveway and saw it...

Size-aside, the reason these pictures are not on my table is because the supports it comes with are defective. Right out of the box, the adhesive that held the padding to the bottom of the stands was melty and all over them. If my OCD can't deal with the sticky residue tags leave behind, it definitely couldn't stand any getting on the whale.

Anyway, I have to show you all the display we put together. This has been in the plans for a while.

The idea was almost like a 3D size chart. I found out Safari's Diver TOOB figure was roughly in scale with all these other roughly in scale figures, so I incorporated it. I call it the "Whale Parade"

Safari's Monterey Bay Humpback and calf. The mother is still probably my favorite animal figure ever.

The massive and beautiful Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advance Blue Whale. The Schleich Orca is also proudly displayed.

Finally, Safari's Monterey Bay Aquarium Sperm Whale is defending her baby from the Wild Safari Giant Squid. This scene was inspired by the model at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

I'm usually very happy to create new displays and rearrange my figures, but this was a next-level experience. Just to walk in my room and have this be one of the first things I see is something I'm very happy about. Well...until the brackets give out and it crushes me.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 7:19 am

Great catch

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm

That's a colossal figure as it should be with such gigantic creature. I really love your whale parade and it is easy to understand all your excitment. Very educative, like in a museum... a dream. cheers

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm

WOW! Amazing display!! The massive Kaiyodo blue whale has been a figure I've wanted for awhile now. I'm assuming the figure is not too heavy since it is able to hang from the line? Is it hollow on the inside?

P.S LOVE the print artwork of How to Train Your Dragon on the side

Last edited by Joliezac on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next