Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?

Go down 
+11
A.R.Garcia
SUSANNE
Bonnie
Caracal
Pardofelis
RtasVadumee
spacelab
bmathison1972
Joliezac
George
Roger
15 posters

Vote your favorite anteater
Schleich 2003 Giant Anteater
What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_lcap5%What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Safari Ltd 2006 Giant Anteater with Baby
What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_lcap39%What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_rcap
 39% [ 17 ]
Papo 2013 Giant Anteater
What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_lcap50%What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 22 ]
Schleich 2021 Giant Anteater
What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_lcap6%What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 44

AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 2:58 pm

As a consequence of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - a topic dedicated to my anteater collection.
I decided to make a little poll about which is your favorite giant anteater figure from major brands.
I prefer the favorite instead of the best because many factors are implied when we choose a figure. Realism, painting, sculpt, pose, charm, finish quality, size, etc.
I am only listing those considered standard sized, even if their variation in size is noticiable.
I would also like to see some discussion about the subject, I know there are some fantastic Japanese models too, thus it would be fun to know our opinions about this iconic species renditions.
I can provide more pictures if needed.

Schleich 2003 Giant anteater

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Safari Ltd 2006 Giant anteater with baby

Papo 2013 Giant anteater

Schleich 2021 Giant anteater

All four Musketeers!

Last edited by Roger on Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Honestly, I like ALL these! But Safari wins, because of the baby. I'm not usually that kind of collector, I don't seek out cuteness for my own purchases, and don't really aim to make families or buy babies for my models, but for some reason this model pair just make me smile!

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 3:22 pm

I love the paint scheme and sculpt of Papo’s anteater, but Safari’s inclusion of the tongue and baby just makes it so fun and unique so that is what makes it my favorite anteater. I might also just have to see Papo’s in person, as it’s the only anteater left I need from the major brands.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for initiating this poll. I picked Safari, but seeing your pics of the Papo model make it a top contender as well!
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 6:08 pm

Papo, for better painting, for the details, and better size for me. Also the most realistic overall.
For my taste, the fact that Safari is carrying a baby is not an advantage and these stripes on feet remind me of football socks. Razz
All 4 are good models though.
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 pm

My traditional servitude to the German occupant cannot resist to this comparison and I have to go for the "national preference" here.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 7:17 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
My traditional servitude to the German occupant cannot resist to this comparison and I have to go for the "national preference" here.

Ha!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 7:43 pm

In my opinion:
Best head shape: Safari
Best neck: Papo and Safari
Best forelegs: new Schleich
Best banner: Papo
Best colours: Papo and Safari
Best tail: Safari
Best fur texture: Papo
Best size for my collection: old Schleich
Best availability now in shops: new Schleich
Best behavioural-featuring figure: Safari
Best realism in general: Papo
What I want in my collection: Papo

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:28 am

Here more pictures to help deciding, also the ventral parts of the Safari and Schleich 2020.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 8:18 pm

Papo for me! :)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:52 pm

I love this topic, it's so fun to read about everyone's views! cheers My favourites are actually the new Schleich and the Papo, but if I had to pick I would probably choose the new Schleich! Of all the models it reminds me the most of a real anteater (Maybe because I've always thought of them as being more grey/black in colouring), and I love how the fur is straight and shaggy with plenty of fur on its tail! Very Happy The only fault is probably the lack of blending on the black and white stripe, but other than that I'm actually surprised by how much I like this model! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 10:11 am

I see now Papo's model is leading and not Safari's anymore.
Voting goes slow, maybe this kind of polls is not very appreciated here and it explains why we usually do not promote them. However, the discussion is very interesting and even the results. It is intriguing Schleich's model from its golden era, is not having a single vote, collecting tastes have changed and the tendency is that we get more realistic and detailed models. Really, the two most voted figures are outstanding models.
I think this picture also belongs here.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 10:48 am

Very, very hard to choose Wink

A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 2:08 am

Thanks for these comparisons Roger. They're enjoyable and informative. I also had fun looking at the historical overview of your larger anteater collection.

I chose the Safari- it's the only standard-sized one I have and I'm happy with it. The painting is good for a Safari figure. Mine doesn't have the white eye highlights. What stands out to me about this one (besides the tongue and the baby), is the overall form/proportions and pose, that somehow give it more of a sense of life and realism than many animal figures. Especially when viewing it from different angles it seems to come alive. The texture is quite interesting, almost giving it a carved appearance.

The Papo is very nice, with good painting, texture, and maybe a more useful size. However I've never felt totally convinced by its overall form and pose. If I saw it in person I would probably appreciate it more. Both Schleichs are nice, too. I think custom painting could bring out some very appealing aspects of their sculpting.

Among the small sized figures the Kaiyodo Wild Rush version is beautiful and probably can't be beat in terms of precision/accuracy, but sometimes the most realistic figures don't have the same charm as other interpretations. The anteater I've had the longest is the Safari authentics, which is "bigger" in terms of presence and paint quality than one might guess for a small Safari figure from those years.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 3:03 am

Gosh this was a hard decision! For me, each one is excellent and worthy for collecting. I chose the Papo though because it has a little more movement and personality than the others... but I do love each one for different reasons.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 3:45 am

I ended up choosing the Papo, but it was close between it and the Safari.And I actually liked the older Schleich quite a bit also, almost as much as them. Maybe I should change my vote to show it a little love lol.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 pm

It seems finally one of them is getting some advantage. It is really interesting to read all your observations and motivations for your choices. My vote went to the Safari model and it is good to know there is a different version with a nicer painting. I think the general proportions, the bulk of the animal is better on Safari's model. I love it is carrying a baby, very traditional for this species and the tongue out is almost mandatory for this species even if Safari is the only model showing it.
Papo's model looks better in pictures than it feels in hands and it is the opposite with the Safari model. I think who has it will love it.
Both Schleich are desirable models but they are not strong rivals and the poll clearly illustrates it.
Let's wait to see what is CollectA bringing for 2012, I am sure if they decide to release a giant anteater, it will be an impressive model.

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Picked Safari, though unfortunately I only own the 2021 Schleich one due to availability.
I like it now that I customized it but the official sculpt just doesn't do it for me with the long neck.
The Papo one is also great but the added baby is just such a neat feature of Safari's version.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 am

Burgerenby wrote:
Picked Safari, though unfortunately I only own the 2021 Schleich one due to availability.
I like it now that I customized it but the official sculpt just doesn't do it for me with the long neck.
The Papo one is also great but the added baby is just such a neat feature of Safari's version.

Safari sometimes re-release their models, it happened with the aardvark and the pangolin, among others. I think these results show clearly that Safari's giant anteater is still a very valid figure even for current standards despite being a 15 years old model. About your beautiful Schleich custom, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] once it deserves to be watched and revisited. Very Happy

molla.nasreddin

Country/State : Iran

PostSubject: Papo 2023 ant eater   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Mar 12, 2023 1:11 pm

Hi everybody,
Have you bought re-editon of papo ant eater in 2023?
it seems some color has been changed!
or still it's head is brown?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Mar 12, 2023 1:16 pm

molla.nasreddin wrote:
Hi everybody,
Have you bought re-editon of papo ant eater in 2023?
it seems some color has been changed!
or still it's head is brown?

Welcome on forum! I don't have the reedition and I suspect it is not out yet but don't you like the old color layout? :)

molla.nasreddin

Country/State : Iran

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptySun Mar 12, 2023 9:24 pm

Roger wrote:

Welcome on forum! I don't have the reedition and I suspect it is not out yet but don't you like the old color layout? :)

Thanks 🌹
I found it available like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But the old versions brown color could be better especially in head part. Giant anteater's head is some how gray
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? EmptyMon Mar 13, 2023 12:38 pm

molla.nasreddin wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks 🌹
I found it available like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But the old versions brown color could be better especially in head part. Giant anteater's head is some how gray

Giant anteater colors are not as standardized as we think, the head could be brown, grey or almost black or a blend of these colors, litterature is not clear about it.
You can't trust Papo official pictures, painting is often different from the real figure. Here the official picture taken directly from the 2013 catalogue.

saw mill close to me

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?   What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite Giant anteater from major brands?
Page 1 of 1