Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 10:12 am

Figure Brand: Papo & CollectA

Figure Name(s): Papo Smilodon (55022)
CollectA Smilodon (88715)
Thylacine 88767

Sex: Papo Smilodon – Male
CollectA Smilodon – Male
Thylacine – female

Name: Papo Smilodon – Titus Andreadicus
CollectA Smilodon – Dreadcat  
Thylacine – Juno

Year Made: Papo Smilodon - 2011
CollectA Smilodon - 2015
Thylacine - 2016

Observations/Thoughts:
Really interesting collection of extinct animals here, really makes me wish these major brands focused maybe a little bit more on extinct animals that aren’t dinosaurs and reptiles. I think this in looking at these great models from both CollectA and Papo.
I have two Smilodons, both from CollectA and Papo, and a thylacine which I applaud CollectA for sculpting, as it’s a rare and unusual creature, especially with her added baby in the pouch which I really appreciate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I do appreciate the more realistic posing and maybe coat patterns of the CollectA Smilodon; however, the Papo version is a good deal bigger and far more cartoonish but threatening looking, he looks like he’s facing down some other predator and could be used in a scene with a carcass or similar animal model like a mammoth etc. I think this as his fearsome teeth are all visible and he’s sculpted close to the ground in a somewhat aggressive, snarling pose. His body all over is in a very…torpedo? Bullet shape? it’s hunched low to the ground with all four feet to the ground one forepaw slightly forward, the back one stretched out. The overall body colour is mid brown with a defined cream beige underside and belly. The eyes are also a piercing yellow, The mouth is exceptionally well sculpted with his fangs very sharp, and tusk-like, his pink tongue and inner lip also added in. I feel Papo really put a lot into this animals mouth, as it his most unusual and well recognized feature. I named him Titus Andreadicus, as I like to give ancient, Latin or Grecian names to my extinct beasts as it’s somewhat fitting. Reminds me a lot of the character Diego from those Ice Age films.

My second Smilodon is from CollectA and is smaller and what I like to think is a more realistic sculpture of this animal from them. I prefer this model as I believe this may be a more realistic design, especially with the coat pattern and it’s added layers. I also think, though he is in an aggressive pose, it’s perhaps a better one, he’s upright, his head and spine in a more upright pose, mouth open too and baring his fangs in a snarl (I suppose he cant HELP but bare them, right?!) He might be placed more realistically in a diorama involving a fight too, as he’s less stretched out and far more compact. His coat pattern is made up of a gold brown, with darker brown speckles and a creamer underside. The speckles remind me a bit of a hyena, but I do find them well done and…probably realistic to what the creature must have looked like?

My third extinct animal is Juno the Thylacine. I love her loads as I appreciate the cool and unusual animal to focus on. She is so cool and unusual! I named her Juno as according to the Romans, she is the goddess associated with motherhood, as she does have a little one in her pouch, it fits her! ^^
Her mouth is open exceptionally wide, the inside of which is exceptionally well detailed with a long tongue and her individual teeth. She stands with all four feet on the ground, one foreleg slightly back and just visible below her tail is the tip of her baby’s tail poking out of her…pouch? It’s a very cute and sweet detail which I love as most animal figures are always made separately from their young. Her markings seem to be realistic too, an overall cream beige body, light grey underparts and with dark brown uniform stripes all down her back all the way to her tail, though it isn’t markings I’d look at first, but what she is as an extinct species and her unique little pouch with baby included.

Rating: Papo Smilodon – 4/ 5
CollectA Smilodon – 5/5
Thylacine – 5/5
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 1:38 pm

Perfect observations about these models. CollectA's is more realistic but I think the Papo smilodon has that agressive action figure design which might be appealing for younger audience. I prefer the CollectA but maybe I like even most the newer Mojö. I'd give 4 to CollectA's and 3 to Papo's.
5 stars go undoubtfully to the CollectA thylacine. It is a superb model. It followed the design our Artist friend Joan presented on forum, but, if it was the inspiration, it was a perfect choice even if it may be unfair to him.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 2:19 pm

Thanks Roger, I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on these, I like the Papo Smilodon for his cartoony, Diego-looking style, but when it comes to realism, CollectA wins hands down.
I must look at that Mojo one you mention.
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Some nice extinct creatures!

It's a sphere that I didn't start to collect myself yet but I really want to get some Smilodons, Wooly Rhinos and Mammoths for my collection at some point.
I would agree with Roger on the Smilodons as my favourite is also the Mojo one. He just convinces me the most, I really like his colouring and his pose looks quite good too.
CollectA's looks fine as well. I like his patchy coat and that they gave him a rather nice fur texture. Papo's is not really my cup of tea, I prefer their young Smilodon. He looks also a little bit cartoony but has some sort of charm that makes me like him more than his dad.
The Thylacine is definitely a cool model and I like the name you gave her. But the little one doesn't have one yet?
She is still not on my wishlist but definitely deserves the attention and love of other collectors.
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Thanks Katy and y'know what...Juno's little one's definitely DOES need a name alright! (How did I forget that?!) XD
Y'know I'm really not into the whole extinct line either, but...only for dinosaurs? I like extinct mammals and wish there were more of them!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 6:41 pm

I am a little compulsive with Smilodons (see my coll.) but I don't have this CollectA one because of its strange rodent-like head. It's a pity because it received a vey beautiful and realistic painting. 

About the Papo one, I would say that it is more "fantasy looking" than cartoonist. I don't like too much its stiff standing. Smilodoncalifornicus would say both are far too slim!

At the contrary, I am fond of this CollectA Thylacine who fits perfectly with the Mojo fun one! cheers cheers

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 7:02 pm

Hi Caracal, yeah I do agree the Papo Smilodon is more fantasy...or exaggerated looking alright? But when you mention the rodent head on the CollectA model ..I can kinda see it? Or a beaver head or something?!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 7:43 pm

Brandubh94 wrote:
Hi Caracal, yeah I do agree the Papo Smilodon is more fantasy...or exaggerated looking alright? But when you mention the rodent head on the CollectA model ..I can kinda see it? Or a beaver head or something?!

Yes there is something wrong with its face, above all in front view, something that makes me think more to a big rodent than to a big cat.. The last Mojo one shows a beautiful head but it suffers a poor painting to compare to this one. In fact, the one I prefer is the old Safari ltd Carnegie one, the first (at this scale) I got a long time ago! :)
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 7:44 pm

I'll have to look up that one too Caracal :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 7:50 pm

You 'll find him on "Toy Animal Wiki" see the link just above! ( Safari 401601)  :)
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 8:29 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 10:56 pm

Here is the link to the Smilodon page.

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines    Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Smilodons and Thylacines
Page 1 of 1