Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses

Go down 
+2
Roger
Brandubh94
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 5:20 pm

Figure Brand: Schleich

Figure Name(s): Norwegian Fjord Horse gelding (13979)
Norwegian Fjord Horse Mare (13980)

Sex: Male & Female

Name: Norwegian Fjord Horse gelding - Sigurd- Scandinavian ‘victory/guardian’
Norwegian Fjord Horse Mare - Helga- Norse ‘Prosperous/scared/blessed’

Year Made: Norwegian Fjord Horse gelding - 2024
Norwegian Fjord Horse Mare - 2024

Observations/Thoughts:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Norwegian Fjord Horse gelding
I called  this Fjord Horse Sigurd as owing to Scandinavian origins, Sigurd apparently means ‘victory/guardian.’ Especially since his stance looks strong, and stoic as if he’s standing guard over the fjords he’s named after etc.
Overall, Sigurd is a light sandy orange colour. There’s a small gradient of dark brown on his nose and hooves. His mane is overall white with a dark brown streak near the tip, a long line of brown runs down the spine to tail where it joins with more brown tips on the tail-the rest is white.
He adopts a non-galloping pose, standing with all four feet on ground makes him look very strong, upright and sturdy but with his head tilting forward seems to give him a curious look.
His front legs are together, but his back legs are stretched back slightly, with tail down, giving him a stoic and strong pose.
Sigurd’s face is very sweet and calm looking, so I think he conveys a sturdy small horse breed very well. Though looking them up online and comparing them with the real breed, Schleich’s model seems to be missing the little small white blush around the muzzle, just above the brown nose tip. Other than that, the new 2024 model seems to be realistic enough.

Schleich Norwegian Fjord Horse mare
I called this girl Helga in keeping with her Norse/Scandinavian heritage as it apparently means ‘Prosperous/scared/blessed’. Yet, she needed a gentle sounding name too as she has a sweet gentle look.
Her coat is far lighter, creamier and in my opinion nicer than Sigurd above because of that. I find creamy/beige coat colourations nicer anyway and I like hers a lot more.
I also love the design of her mane, as it’s short and upright (nice to see in female horse models!) and makes her look more like a chunky, wild horse like zebras and Przewalski's Wild Horse. I love the little brown heart motifs running all the way through it down her neck to shoulders, not sure if it is intentional, but it is very sweet!
She has a small dark brown gradient colouration on her nose tip and hooves/legs, same as Sigurd, but once again is missing that slight white blush etc.
Her tail is also wite with a brown tip like Sigurds, but overall I prefer her mane and colouration.
I prefer Sigurd’s pose and stance as I find Helga’s a bit strange looking. It’s not apparent from the side but from the front I think her front leg, stepping out looks weirdly broken? Or bent as if she’s mid-tripping on something? One front leg is bent forward, while the back leg is brought forward in a mid-step sort of pose. Not a fan of it really…

Like Sigurd, she is a sweet looking little horse, and I think her face is really pretty, especially the little fringe over her forehead. It looks like she’s got bright eyes and cute little round cheeks/jaws. Apart from the slightly odd pose I love her creamy coat and gentle look. Overall, I prefer her over Sigurd.

Rating: Norwegian Fjord Horse gelding – 4/5
Norwegian Fjord Horse Mare – 4/5
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 7:14 pm

I find these Fjord horses somewhat simplistic but Fjord horses are never too many. I understand what you mean about the pose but I favour clearly the mare. i think the modern look of the stallion went too far and removed slightly the traditional Fjord look to it.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 7:28 pm

Yes Roger, looking at her again with that mindset I definitely see what you mean! I agree too, there isn't a lot of fjord horses about so we have to appreciate what we have of them! 😊
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:55 am

It's been a very long time since a Schleich horse gave me joy to look at, Sigurd has just passed the test. cheers
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 10:10 am

Awh thank you Kikimalou! Isn't he just so handsome?! I see this as hope that the Schleich horse models are slowly improving actually!
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

So excited for these! The gelding is probably my favourite - he looks a bit too leggy for a Fjord, but I like the pose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 pm

He is a bit leggy and tall looking alright but I took adore his straight pose
Back to top Go down
Farm collector

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 2:21 am

When it comes to color the Fjord mare is yellow-dun and the stallion is red-dun. Fjord horses may also be grey-dun and uls-dun. The last one makes them allmost look white in color and is the most rare one.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 am

I see, Farm Collector. I like the nice light colour a lot actually
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 pm

The new Fjordies!

I think that both are fine additions to the current line but I do prefer the mare quite a bit over the gelding.
Even though I like standing horses mostly just as much as "moving" ones, I think that the gelding looks a little bit boring like that. His shade is not really my cup of tea either but I think it's just the fact that he looks more like a Sporthorse rather than a traditional Fjord horse, I've known for so many years, bothers me the most. He lacks the slight chunkiness this breed mostly has. Otherwise he looks fine enough and I really like the name you gave him.
The mare is probably my second favourite horse that Schleich released this year. She has a nice pose, her coat is nicely shaded and I really like the way they did her mane. I still prefer the former mare that I have in my collection over this one but I like her nevertheless quite a bit. She's a very lovely model. And again I like that you named her Helga. She reminds me a little bit of a character out of my stories that I named liked that.
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 9:17 am

Thank you Katy! I'm glad you like their names, I find them fitting and in keeping with their breed and I put a lot of thought into what names I give my models! Wink
I do like these horses alright but I can see why for some they seem to lack something? I agree colour of the gelding can be seen as maybe a bit off too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses    horses - Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Schleich 2024 New Horses
Page 1 of 1